Is the remake any better or worse?
Old 1st November 2017, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Is the remake any better or worse?
The remake is probably the worst of all the remakes that came out in the 00's if i remember rightly.

I got rid of the dvd straight after watching it.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:57 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I can't comment on Prom Night because I haven't seen it
Prom Night =Carrie meets Saturday Night Fever!!
keirarts, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 2nd November 2017, 03:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Prom Night =Carrie meets Saturday Night Fever!!
Teen slasher mixed with dancing and try "staying alive" cheers SS.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:03 AM
Cult Addict

Jigsaw

Pretty much more of the same. Nasty looking death traps? Check. Playing with the films chronology in order to deliver a twist? Check. A who is Jigsaws apprentice mystery? Check..
It all feels quite samey. That said if your into the saw films more than I was its probably worth a go.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Trying to watch a few "classics" I haven't seen before, and just watched Carnival of Souls! Totally lives up to it's classic moniker, the tale of a woman who survives a drag race accident, and ks then drawn to a strange pavillion & keeps seeing visions of "the man".
It's a hard film to describe, but the atmosphere (and particularly the organ score) are amazingly haunting, moreso than (ironically) The Haunting or The Innocents (both of which i have revisited and enjoyed recently).

Going through the extrason the criterion disc, I would urge anyone who is a fan to get this edition, the print is flawless and the extras substantial.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Postman (1997)

As the closing credits rolled to this Kevin Costner film all i could think of was James Cameron's Avatar. Both films from Oscar winning directors, both created new sci-fi worlds, (This albeit in the USA) both films are bum numbingly long and both films are sort of good and awful in equal measure.

The Postman was almost universally derided when it first appeared and it's easy to see why. Following a decent opening forty minutes where Costner escapes slavery in the post-apocalyptic conflict strewn future of 2013, the film directed by Costner, begins properly as he finds an old postman's uniform and bag full of letters of which he decides to deliver in a bid to bring hope to the world.

It's all a bit twee and sickly sentimental and also daft for the next hour until the postman's original captors reappear and war flares up again as the film turns into a classic 'man the barricades' cavalry like western siege.

The Postman is beautifully filmed and the action scenes are well staged and at times tense, the overall feeling is one of wondering why Costner bothered as The Postman really doesn't deliver unlike his other epics Dances With Wolves and the severely underrated Waterworld.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thepostman.jpg (81.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Addict

Demon wind

On the basis of some 'visions' a bloke takes a bunch of his pals to the old family farm, long since burned down. The dire warnings of the folk at the local diner, al la castle dracula should have given pause for thought but nope. The hapless group continue up to the farm and naturally when they get there discover its cursed as f***. Pretty soon they're being attacked by gloopy demons (including a brief appearance by Lou Diamond Phillips) and steadily more and more of them get possessed.
Demon wind is a cheap and cheerful production. As daft as it is however its an awful lot of fun. Think Filmirage quality along the lines of House of lost souls, Witchery ect and your in the right ballpark. I like these films so I dug this quite a bit. Its been on DVD in the uk for ages and honestly shouldn't be too dear to pick up. Vinegar syndrome have stuck it out on Blu-ray in a spiffy new transfer so its worth considering.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched The Funhouse (tobe hooper), and I have to say it has really grown on me, a solid "crazy family" movie set at a carnival that actually sits alongside TexasChainsaw 1&2 as a kind of companion piece (check out the lead "monster" doing his Leatherface impression while being berated by his bullying family) in looking like a "circus madhouse" kind of movie! Solid characterisation & very atmospheric, a new high point for me amongst Hooper's work.

Conversly watching House on Sorority Row from 88, very slow & awkward (influenced by Diabolique & influencing I Know What You Did Last Summer), it's picking up around 45 mins in but is nothing special sadly.

Finally, re watched Psycho for the umpteenth time & is still in my top 3 movies of all time (along with NOTLD & The Invisible Man). Endlessly watchable and compelling, I recommend The Psycho Legacy alongside all the other supplementary material available!

My "to watch" pile is actually going down (just ending a week off so actually watched a lot).
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Watched The Funhouse (tobe hooper), and I have to say it has really grown on me, a solid "crazy family" movie set at a carnival that actually sits alongside TexasChainsaw 1&2 as a kind of companion piece (check out the lead "monster" doing his Leatherface impression while being berated by his bullying family) in looking like a "circus madhouse" kind of movie! Solid characterisation & very atmospheric, a new high point for me amongst Hooper's work.

Conversly watching House on Sorority Row from 88, very slow & awkward (influenced by Diabolique & influencing I Know What You Did Last Summer), it's picking up around 45 mins in but is nothing special sadly.

Finally, re watched Psycho for the umpteenth time & is still in my top 3 movies of all time (along with NOTLD & The Invisible Man). Endlessly watchable and compelling, I recommend The Psycho Legacy alongside all the other supplementary material available!

My "to watch" pile is actually going down (just ending a week off so actually watched a lot).
Wish I could say that my to watch pile getting bigger , i'm buying more than I'm actually watching . watching about 1 a week and buying up to 5\6 owt and nowt a week .
At this rate I'll have at least 6 month worth of watching
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!