Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2017, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well, sadly far too many to mention ... so I will say avoid Galaxy Of Terror
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th November 2017, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
I'm just getting tired of watching rape in films, especially when some directors use it as an excuse just to get nudity in the film. Same issue I have with Death Wish 2. Every time I see it in schlock....you know what, this gif sums it up:

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Watch The Magic of Belle Isle then and cease your complaining.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th November 2017, 01:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Layer Cake

XXXX (Daniel Craig) a Cocaine dealer plans to retire but is given two jobs to do, find the daughter of a friend and negotiate a trade of million ecstasy tablets from a small time dealer wannabe gangster.

This is classic crime thriller with a bit of comedy elements thrown in, this was the film that placed Craig in the spotlight of the Bond franchise.

The film starts as a film noir and from start to finish never gets boring there are some twist and turns in it that never get confusing, very slick and glamorous. There are good performances by Michael Gambon, Kenneth Cranham and Colm Meaney. 9 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_gg4RCIhUaJVuIYnfs2cyCgykzdm.jpg (45.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 27th November 2017, 05:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brigsby Bear (2017, Dave McCary)
To say that telling you about this film's plot would be spoiling is an understatement. Recommended.
Avoid the trailer.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th November 2017, 06:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I went to the cinema today and saw two films:

BATTLE OF THE SEXES – based on the real events which saw a splintering of the system which organise tennis in the United States and, eventually, to women being granted a bigger share of prize-money than ever before, it impresses on many levels. The most notable achievement is that even though I knew what happened when Bobby Riggs played Billie-Jean King as I saw a documentary on this year or so ago, I began to doubt if what I knew was true and the result of that tennis match. It does have resonance for today's society in which women are still struggling for equality in many sectors, from sports to business and politics.

The two leads, Emma Stone and Steve Carell, are both excellent and I'll be astonished if they are not nominated in the main acting categories when awards season rolls around; this film and many people involved in its making should also be in contention for 'gongs'.

SUBURBICON – I put the trailer in the 'Up and Coming Films' thread some time ago, mentioning it looked like a blend of films including Revolutionary Road, A Serious Man and Falling Down. Just to prove that trailers do not give the full impression of the film itself, this is very different to what I expected and felt like a Coen Brothers movie, but one with George Clooney's liberal politics based on his upbringing in Kentucky and knowledge of racism in the South. It is a fascinating social commentary on modern day race relations in the US and as a satire on suburban life, but works equally as well as a crime drama. I was unsurprised to see that two of the four screenwriters are Joel and Ethan Coen because it is sprinkled with lines and characters which are straight from their 'playbook', though not in a derivative way.

It probably would have been better if it stuck to being either a murder mystery or a social satire rather than trying to be both, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Both are recommended, Battle of the Sexes more than Suburbicon.
Old 27th November 2017, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robert DeNiro is bounty Hunter Jack Walsh who is sent to recover the Duke(Charles Grodin) an accountant who stole millions from the mob, Jack expects it to be a midnight run (a easy job) but that turns out to be far from the truth, he has to contend with another bounty hunter, the FBI and the mob boss who the money was stolen which turns out to be the man who lost Jack his job as a Chicago cop. Both DeNiro and Gorodin are on top form and are supported by the likes of Joe Pantoliano, Yaphet Kotto and Dennis Farina, both the action and comedy come thick and fast. 9/10

Now watching planes,trains and automobiles which I should of watched last week when it was Thanksgiving.
Old 27th November 2017, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Midnight Run.

Robert DeNiro is bounty Hunter Jack Walsh who is sent to recover the Duke(Charles Grodin) an accountant who stole millions from the mob, Jack expects it to be a midnight run (a easy job) but that turns out to be far from the truth, he has to contend with another bounty hunter, the FBI and the mob boss who the money was stolen which turns out to be the man who lost Jack his job as a Chicago cop. Both DeNiro and Gorodin are on top form and are supported by the likes of Joe Pantoliano, Yaphet Kotto and Dennis Farina, both the action and comedy come thick and fast. 9/10

Now watching planes,trains and automobiles which I should of watched last week when it was Thanksgiving.
A film that never becomes boring no matter how many times i watch it over the years. A genuine classic, Treb, which is odd as it's also underrated when it comes to things like top films of whatever.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 28th November 2017, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

Lethal Weapon 2
This time Riggs and Murtaugh are taking on the South African consolate, when they are ordered to protect a witness; who turns out was laundering money for the consolate.
Again like the first film, this is enjoyable and becomes more enjoyable with Joe Pesci. Ultimately for me anyway it's on par with the first.
8/10

Old 28th November 2017, 06:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Lethal Weapon 2
This time Riggs and Murtaugh are taking on the South African consolate, when they are ordered to protect a witness; who turns out was laundering money for the consolate.
Again like the first film, this is enjoyable and becomes more enjoyable with Joe Pesci. Ultimately for me anyway it's on par with the first.
8/10
One of the reasons I like the first sequel, and perhaps why it may be dated to newcomers, is the obvious antipathy Murtaugh has towards the South Africans. In 1987 (when the film was released), the apartheid regime in South Africa made arrogant white people from the country an obvious enemy (it was a pariah state similar to somewhere like North Korea now) so the consul-general is a perfectly detestable antagonist for Murtaugh's sympathetic black protagonist.

Adding to that, the chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh is as good as in the first film and the action sequences are superbly executed, so it works as an action movie without factoring in the global politics and social commentary.
Old 28th November 2017, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Lethal Weapon 2
8/10

No matter how many time you watch the Lethal Weapon 1 and 2, you will never get bored, there will never be another action comedy due like Riggs and Murtaugh, classic 80s gold
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!