Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2017, 12:26 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen 48 Hrs. Since the 1990s and don't think I have seen all three Rush Hour films!
Avoid Another 48hrs though.

Won't be long before 48hrs is remade.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Avoid Another 48hrs though.

Won't be long before 48hrs is remade.
I don't think I've seen the sequel, but have looked at reviews and I'm definitely in no rush to rectify the situation!

I wouldn't rule out a remake, but it will have to be very well cast and written to be as entertaining as the original.

Speaking of those movies, I went to Music Magpie following the discussion last night and bought 48 Hrs. (DVD), Rush Hour/Rush Hour 2 (DVD), Rush Hour 3 (DVD), Mannequin (DVD), Bad Teacher (Blu-ray), Youth in Revolt (Blu-ray), Limitless (Blu-ray) and I Am Legend (Blu-ray).

Because of the various offers, they only cost £9.98!
Old 29th November 2017, 02:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Speaking of those movies, I went to Music Magpie following the discussion last night and bought 48 Hrs. (DVD), Rush Hour/Rush Hour 2 (DVD), Rush Hour 3 (DVD), Mannequin (DVD), Bad Teacher (Blu-ray), Youth in Revolt (Blu-ray), Limitless (Blu-ray) and I Am Legend (Blu-ray).

Because of the various offers, they only cost £9.98!
Not many people seem to rate the third Rush Hour film but i did. Some brilliant set pieces especially at the end on the Eiffel Tower.

To me it is what it is. A silly action buddy movie with two likable leads.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:17 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I don't think I've seen the sequel, but have looked at reviews and I'm definitely in no rush to rectify the situation!

I wouldn't rule out a remake, but it will have to be very well cast and written to be as entertaining as the original.
Or a tv series like Lethal Weapon.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not many people seem to rate the third Rush Hour film but i did. Some brilliant set pieces especially at the end on the Eiffel Tower.

To me it is what it is. A silly action buddy movie with two likable leads.
I haven't seen it before, but for a quid I'm not going to complain if it isn't the greatest movie ever made but entertains me for the bulk of its running time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:42 PM
Cult Addict

Lethal Weapon 4
Now our dynamic due are taking on some triads while also dealing with the prospect of fatherhood and grandfatherhood.
The weakest of the series by far, there seems to be a feeling of campness which makes it seem rather off at times, however some great action set pieces especially with Jet Li.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 29th November 2017, 02:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Lethal Weapon 4
Now our dynamic due are taking on some triads while also dealing with the prospect of fatherhood and grandfatherhood.
The weakest of the series by far, there seems to be a feeling of campness which makes it seem rather off at times, however some great action set pieces especially with Jet Li.
6/10
I hated this when I first saw it, but watched it I earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I'm not sure whether it was Jet Li being brutally effective, Chris Rock's rapidfire speech pattern completely contrasting with Danny Glover's (emphasising the difference between the two characters) or something else, but even though it is much weaker than the previous three, it's entertaining nonetheless.
keirarts, J Harker and bleakshaun like this.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I hated this when I first saw it, but watched it I earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I'm not sure whether it was Jet Li being brutally effective, Chris Rock's rapidfire speech pattern completely contrasting with Danny Glover's (emphasising the difference between the two characters) or something else, but even though it is much weaker than the previous three, it's entertaining nonetheless.
Absolutely, I think jet li does steal the show, also the opening scene with the flamethrower guy was great

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th November 2017, 03:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Absolutely, I think jet li does steal the show, also the opening scene with the flamethrower guy was great
If I remember correctly, on first viewing I loved that opening sequence but felt it went downhill from there. However, that's when the DVD was first released, so I might be doing it a disservice. Even so, it is a really well designed and executed sequence from the huge explosions and sound design with the gunfire to the humorous payoff with the revelation about the 'chicken dance'.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 29th November 2017, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Escape To Athena (George P. Cosmatos)

Old Dod is fast becoming one of my favourite second tier directors. This being the one where a Marlowe, Bond, Shaft and Kojak ETC fight ze Nazis on a Greek island. Plus Claudia Cardinale brandishing a machine gun! Didn't Godard say "A film is a girl and a gun"? Well, he must love Andy Sidaris' stuff then
Ahem. Anthony Valentine IS in this one btw. I swear

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!