All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2017, 11:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ha,ha! Shock Waves. The dullest zombie film in Christendom.

I have a lighter you can borrow. Save your matches.
So true!
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE BABYSITTER -Not bad for a Netflix movie

BETTER WATCH OUT -Didn't care for this at all.Where I thought/hoped this movie was going was no where near where it went.Started off very promising and quickly tanked

LUCK KEY Fun Korean genre mash up,Watched on NETFLIX
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:23 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
BETTER WATCH OUT -Didn't care for this at all.Where I thought/hoped this movie was going was no where near where it went.Started off very promising and quickly tanked.
A dull as **** awful film. It's a character study, not a slasher, but for some odd reason people consider it part of the sub-genre just because it has elements. I'm all for an interesting character study, but this isn't interesting at all - it's as boring as all hell, crawling at a snail's pace.
keirarts likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 2nd December 2017, 09:18 AM
Cult Addict

The Victim. Michael Biehn. 2011.

A pair of strippers, Annie and Mary meet up with two dirty cops in a secluded woods to snort coke and have some sex. When Mary accidentally get her neck broken doing it doggy style over a rock The cops decide to kill Annie two and bury them both in the woods to cover it up.
Annie manages to escape and flees. Finding a cabin in the woods she seeks shelter from its sole inhabitant, a reclusive and possibly not quite all there, Corporal Hicks.
That's it.
Apparently this is meant to be an exploitation film but I'm afraid random shagging and a few tit shots don't really cut it for me as exploitation. There is some violence but nothing special.
Whether Biehn who also directed this micro budget affair thought it would lend to the intended vibe of the film I'm not sure but his performance is bloody awful. A hodgepodge of ranting and yelling and confused questions about the most obvious things. I've seen Biehn in loads of stuff and the guy can act so I have to wonder if its intentional. On the whole i actually quite enjoyed the victim though I don't see it having much rewatch value and I have to admit I'm glad I only paid £1.50 for it.

Last edited by J Harker; 2nd December 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:21 PM
Cult Addict

I saw "The Victim" on the Horror channel a while back, can't say i was impressed, found it pretty dull.
The woman who plays Annie is Biehn's real wife.
Read into that what you will.
keirarts, J Harker and Deadite like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd December 2017, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

Samurai Cop
The LA police department transfer a cop from San Diego to help deal with a Japanese gang dealing drugs. This cop not only has to deal with the katana gang, but also the chief of police and his libido.
This film is awesome for all the wrong reasons, from the awkwardly shot action scenes to the constant change with Matt Hannon's hair (half the film was natural the other half a wig) to the dialogue and acting at times: this is a guidebook as to how not to make a film. And despite all the issues that this film has, it is a great laugh to watch with friends and is genuinely fascinating.
10/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Samurai Cop
The LA police department transfer a cop from San Diego to help deal with a Japanese gang dealing drugs. This cop not only has to deal with the katana gang, but also the chief of police and his libido.
This film is awesome for all the wrong reasons, from the awkwardly shot action scenes to the constant change with Matt Hannon's hair (half the film was natural the other half a wig) to the dialogue and acting at times: this is a guidebook as to how not to make a film. And despite all the issues that this film has, it is a great laugh to watch with friends and is genuinely fascinating.
10/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Ne'r a truer word spoken tonight. Film!!!
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 1st - Olivia (1983)

Also known as Prozzie and Double Jeopardy, Uli Lommel's film is less a horror film and more the sort of melodrama you'd find on Channel 5 on a Tuesday afternoon minus the odd scene of nudity and a bit of blood towards the end. Entertaining in a clumsy way, this isn't anything you haven't seen before and lacks the occasionally creative murderous flourishes of say Lommel's own The Boogey Man (1980) , but actress and Lommel's wife, Suzanna Love is very good and holds the film together in scenes where the mind could easily wander. Sporting nods to Carpenter's Halloween initially and then Halloween III - relocating English tourist attractions - on top of the dual identity motifs, the plot is either all over the place or possibly a work of genius. I'll let you decide.

88 Films released this as part of their Slasher Classics line. No idea why. This wasn't bad either way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olivia_poster.jpg (88.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 2nd - Father's Day (2011)

Probably the best film made by Troma. Father's Day is a mad as **** genre mash up with laughs aplenty and gore galore. The origins of the story are quite similar to my earlier reviewed Olivia in that kid spying on things that he'd be best not seeing sort of way that stems all the way back to Carpenter's Halloween, but the rest of the film is just plain nuts with a plot that's far too involved to go into here as it encompasses about every exploitation trait there is.

To say it's Troma, well you wouldn't know it as the film is well made and stylishly directed with characters that are certainly believable, at least in a Troma universe. As well as revulsion at various cock mutilations among the scenes of strong gore i found myself laughing out loud at some of the wittiest and awkward dialogue this side of Tarantino's very best.

Definitely not to be taken seriously, Father's Day is a hell of a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fathers_day_2011_poster_01.jpg (107.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I really enjoyed Prozzie, Dem - it was something very different from what I was expecting... definitely not a slasher as you say.

As for Father's Day, it's an Astron 6 film that was purely distributed by Troma (which is probably why it doesn't feel like a Troma film!). Tonnes of fun all the same though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!