Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2017, 08:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

Heh, I agree entirely. I really liked Iron Man 3, probably because it was more like a typical Shane Black comedy thriller than your average bland superhero flick...
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th December 2017, 09:07 AM
Cult Addict

The maniac

A bloke catches the local pervert raping his daughter so opts for a little blow torch torture. He ends up in the local asylum after a plea of insanity. Some years later an American breezes through town and seems to be smitten with the daughter. However he ends up falling for her mother in law instead and ends up getting roped into breaking the father out as he's transferred from the Asylum to regular prison.
Not one of Hammers best, its still a perfectly watchable noir with a nasty tone to it and a hot, fetid atmosphere. Indicators transfer looks great.

The Gorgon

Classic era Hammer with the usual faces including Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Barbara Shelly as well as Patrick Troughton. A small town is cursed by a Gorgon that hangs out at the local castle turning people to stone. It's got a weird atmosphere for a Hammer film. Peter Cushing appears to be a villain purely through inaction, Christopher Lee looks odd with an appearance inspired by Einstein. Shelly is terrific. Very little is explained, up to and including why no one heads to the castle to do the creature in or how it even got there. Mind you this all adds to an odd tone to the film I find appealing.

Curse of the Mummy's tomb.

One of Hammers weaker mummy films, the first half is frankly dreary. However it picks up as it goes along and if you can stick with it then it picks up as it moves into its second half. Like the rest it has a great transfer from indicator and some interesting extras.

The Fanatic

One of the highlights of the indicator set and one of my favourite of Hammers Thrillers. Stefanie Powers plays a young woman who goes to visit the mother of her EX who passed away in a car crash. The mother is played by Hollywood legend and drug & Booze fiend Tallulah Bankhead on fine form as a demented christian fundamentalist who decides Powers cannot leave unti she's found the light. Aided with a pistol, her housekeepers played by the legendary Peter Vaughan and Yootha Joyce and her retarded son played by Donald Sutherland, she keeps powers prisoner, starving and beating her in a contest of wills as to who will break first.
Its a taught, well crafted thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Bankhead is incredible as the Bible thumping matriarch with an ichy trigger finger and its safe to say the rest of the cast deliver the goods as well. Especially Vaughn who delivers an especially loathsome, leering thug.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:07 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

There are two 'E's in Shelley, K.

Sorry. Just saying.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scanners 3: The Takeover (1992, Christian Duguay)
Whilst the second film is more conventional .... this is high grade Exploito tat. Highly recommended!!!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th December 2017, 11:16 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Scanners 3: The Takeover (1992, Christian Duguay)
Whilst the second film is more conventional .... this is high grade Exploito tat. Highly recommended!!!!!!
I thought it the best of the bunch. Just so much fun.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it the best of the bunch. Just so much fun.
Spoiling I'm not .... but just WOW. Really want Scanner Cop & Force etc now.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th December 2017, 11:31 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
There are two 'E's in Shelley, K.

Sorry. Just saying.
That's what happens when you write reviews while watching YouTube vids.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Spoiling I'm not .... but just WOW. Really want Scanner Cop & Force etc now.
Scanners was the first horror i ever rented so holds good memories for me but when i watched the box set a few years ago with all three films i found the third film the most entertaining.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Scanners was the first horror i ever rented so holds good memories for me but when i watched the box set a few years ago with all three films i found the third film the most entertaining.
Ditto ala first. The Guild big box one of the first ex rentals I bought. Love that film. Second was a bit Meh to be honest. 3rd may actually make it to Boxing Day this year cough.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 18th December 2017, 11:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ditto ala first. The Guild big box one of the first ex rentals I bought. Love that film. Second was a bit Meh to be honest. 3rd may actually make it to Boxing Day this year cough.
May make it to Boxing Day? Thought you'd just watched it.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!