Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 26th November 2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 295868)
Just out of interest Paul, what would you have him do?

I don't know to be honest. I guess anything different that doesn't involve zombies. Something surprising and different like Martin (or even Monkey Shines!) that couldn't be expected. Doing another Living Dead film brings too much baggage with it which Romero doesn't seem to be able to deal with.

I really wanted to like Survival of the Dead and watched it a second time today with the commentary on but it's just such a dull and poor film in my eyes

fuzzymctiger 27th November 2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 295887)
I don't know to be honest. I guess anything different that doesn't involve zombies. Something surprising and different like Martin (or even Monkey Shines!) that couldn't be expected. Doing another Living Dead film brings too much baggage with it which Romero doesn't seem to be able to deal with.

I really wanted to like Survival of the Dead and watched it a second time today with the commentary on but it's just such a dull and poor film in my eyes

I've tried to watch the original Night twice, but i just find it too hard. I find it boring and annoying.

I love Dawn and Day, but Dawn does drag a bit at times, but its still good. Day is so bleak, its a classic in my eyes, a gritty alternate look at a hopeless future in a zombie apocalypse.

I haven't even tried anything past those, they just don't appeal to me.

Rik 27th November 2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 295886)
The Cabin In The Woods - 2011 USA d: Drew Goddard

Thoroughly smug and angering load of bollocks that thinks it's so very clever. The comedy isn't funny, the horror isn't horrifying. One can't help but imagine a lot of self congratulation and patting each other on the back when this was written. It is infuriating from start to end and really doesn't offer anything more than Williamson and Craven dished up with more fun and less pretension as Scream.

Avoid.

I'm guessing you don't want to buy my spare BD then? ;)

ThePopeofCOSDS 27th November 2012 04:52 AM

The Suspected Death of a Minor. Should have been an ass-ton better.

- Razor88

keirarts 27th November 2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 295886)
The Cabin In The Woods - 2011 USA d: Drew Goddard

Thoroughly smug and angering load of bollocks that thinks it's so very clever. The comedy isn't funny, the horror isn't horrifying. One can't help but imagine a lot of self congratulation and patting each other on the back when this was written. It is infuriating from start to end and really doesn't offer anything more than Williamson and Craven dished up with more fun and less pretension as Scream.

Avoid.

With this and avengers I take it your not a Joss whedon fan! :lol:

Fair enough, I like his stuff but i'm more than aware that theres a few people who find his stuff like rubbing their face against a cheesegrater. (though when you said you hated Avengers I did say you probably would not like cabin as well.. so told you so! :tongue1:)

I thought Cabin was far better than scream, all scream did was take the generic slasher formula but have the characters all but turn and wink at the screen every five minutes, whatever the end result at least cabin tried to play around with the formula itself.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th November 2012 09:42 AM

THE RED MONKS. Incredibly sunny gothic horror which meanders along at a slow pace but it's never too boring. Heavy on melodrama, the film would have been served better with more gore and occult tomfoolery than is on display.

Gojirosan 27th November 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 295905)
With this and avengers I take it your not a Joss whedon fan! :lol:

Fair enough, I like his stuff but i'm more than aware that theres a few people who find his stuff like rubbing their face against a cheesegrater. (though when you said you hated Avengers I did say you probably would not like cabin as well.. so told you so! :tongue1:)

I thought Cabin was far better than scream, all scream did was take the generic slasher formula but have the characters all but turn and wink at the screen every five minutes, whatever the end result at least cabin tried to play around with the formula itself.

I didn't hate Avengers Assemble per se, it was just "meh". It didn't strike me as anything special or interesting, just another sigh inducing superhero/action flick.

I'm not a the hugest fan of Scream either, perhaps a more apposite comparison might have been with the magnificent and genuinely intelligent Wes Craven's New Nightmare which is probably the finest form-bending, post-modern horror flick that Hollywood has ever given us.

On Facebook I said of The Cabin In The Woods:

"I never imagined I could have so thoroughly hated a film with so many monsters, so much blood and such a stunning redhead."

which sums it all up very nicely. :lol:

Demoncrat 27th November 2012 11:32 AM

The Loch Ness Horror. Appalling "Scottish" accents. Appalling monster. Appalling scenery. I loved it

Ahem.

Wes 27th November 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 295718)
Wasn't the book written by Anthony Burgess when he had recuperated after being attacked at home, with the Frank Alexander (Patrick Magee) character based on him? I read the book represents his belief that people aren't inherently bad and can be rehabilitated.

Yes, I believe his wife was viciously raped by some American GIs if I'm remembering the story right. I bought an NTSC-equipped VHS player back in the early 90s to see this film - my bro picked up the Warners tape in America. All Stanley Kubrick films are my favourite Stanley Kubrick films when I'm actually watching them but this one really does give 2001 a run for its money. It's a testament to the muscle that Stanley Kubrick had at Warners that he could have the studio pull the film from distribution, and I imagine it was a big earner back in the day...

Hawkmonger 27th November 2012 12:01 PM

I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Avengers also. Scream suck's. New Nightmares is horribly under-rated. This is the new's at 1:03 in the afternoon. Good day.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th November 2012 01:22 PM

From last Monday to Sunday (November 19-25) I watched:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/.../November3.jpg

Rik 27th November 2012 01:27 PM

Just watched the Shameless BD of Four Flies on Grey Velvet. As I posted on this films thread, I was 40 minutes in and bored to tears, but I stuck at it and it did pick up a bit, but I still didn't think much to it tbh, and the awful popping etc. on the soundtrack during the films climax really pissed me off, glad I rented it from Lovefilm!

I've got Sleepaway Camp 2:Unhappy Campers on now, I haven't seen this since an old friend of mine pinched his brothers VHS copy (under the Nightmare Vacation 2 title) back in the late 80's, I'm sure it will be just as much fun as I remember it. Also got Fulci's Cat in the Brain lined up after :popcorn:

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 295990)
Just watched the Shameless BD of Four Flies on Grey Velvet. As I posted on this films thread, I was 40 minutes in and bored to tears, but I stuck at it and it did pick up a bit, but I still didn't think much to it tbh, and the awful popping etc. on the soundtrack during the films climax really pissed me off, glad I rented it from Lovefilm!

I find it has a certain wobbly charm, with the clunky postman slapstick and typical cringeworthy gay stereotype. Also the killer's motive is brilliantly rubbish :lol: But on the 'genuinely good' side, there is the murder set piece in the park, which is straight out of a Val Lewton film and one of my personal Argento highlights . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th November 2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 295967)
I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Avengers also. Scream suck's. New Nightmares is horribly under-rated. This is the new's at 1:03 in the afternoon. Good day.

I loved The Cabin in the Woods at the cinema and have seen it two or three times since and it really stands up as an intelligent and knowing genre film. In terms of the Marvel comic book films, I found The Avengers to be one of the best, but much preferred The Dark Knight Rises and the DC superhero films. Saying that, I'll probably buy the boxset of all the Marvel films when that's released.

In terms of the post modern horror films (is The Cabin in the Woods post-post-modern?), Scream still stands out as one which works as a stand-alone slasher whilst also dissecting the genre from which it's drawn inspiration and, at the time, made me aware of slasher films I hadn't seen or heard about before. I only saw Wes Craven's New Nightmare after watching the first two Scream films and realised what a fine piece of cinema it is and how far ahead of his time Craven was.

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 03:50 PM

Had an ill-advised, sleepy late night double bill of Seven Blood Stained Orchids and Your Vice is a Locked Room.... Dipped in and out of sleep and they've both merged into one in my mind :eek: I definitely preferred the latter (I think). Liked the unexpected ditching of the pure giallo trappings less than halfway in for something more Gothic-tinged. That said, I've already forgotten great swathes of both films. Needless to say I'll be rewatching at some point . . .

keirarts 27th November 2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 295957)
I didn't hate Avengers Assemble per se, it was just "meh". It didn't strike me as anything special or interesting, just another sigh inducing superhero/action flick.

I'm not a the hugest fan of Scream either, perhaps a more apposite comparison might have been with the magnificent and genuinely intelligent Wes Craven's New Nightmare which is probably the finest form-bending, post-modern horror flick that Hollywood has ever given us.

On Facebook I said of The Cabin In The Woods:

"I never imagined I could have so thoroughly hated a film with so many monsters, so much blood and such a stunning redhead."

which sums it all up very nicely. :lol:

Yeah, new nightmare is probably still the best.

PaulD 27th November 2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 296036)
Had an ill-advised, sleepy late night double bill of Seven Blood Stained Orchids and Your Vice is a Locked Room.... Dipped in and out of sleep and they've both merged into one in my mind :eek: I definitely preferred the latter (I think). Liked the unexpected ditching of the pure giallo trappings less than halfway in for something more Gothic-tinged. That said, I've already forgotten great swathes of both films. Needless to say I'll be rewatching at some point . . .

What's the quality on those Pop Flix sets like then?

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296047)

I'm REALLY not the person to be judging that kind of thing. I was perfectly happy with the quality of both films, though I have no idea if you lot with yer DNR techno-babble-n-whatnot would judge it 'decent' or 'eye meltingly horrible' :lol: . . .

PaulD 27th November 2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 296051)
I'm REALLY not the person to be judging that kind of thing. I was perfectly happy with the quality of both films, though I have no idea if you lot with yer DNR techno-babble-n-whatnot would judge it 'decent' or 'eye meltingly horrible' :lol: . . .

I just meant "watchable" or "not watchable" really :)

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296058)
I just meant "watchable" or "not watchable" really :)

Maybe you have similar standards to me then :lol:. I found them both easily watchable. But don't come and hunt me down if you think they look shit :shocked: . . .

PaulD 27th November 2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 296070)
Maybe you have similar standards to me then :lol:. I found them both easily watchable. But don't come and hunt me down if you think they look shit :shocked: . . .

Considering how cheap those sets are all I want is them to be watchable to be honest.

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296074)
Considering how cheap those sets are all I want is them to be watchable to be honest.

Well they are - buy em all now! I like how for such cheap sets, they've put some effort into the menu design, which have a cool retro vibe . . .

Make Them Die Slowly 27th November 2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296074)

I want posters, postcards, booklets, blood. sweat and tears from the makers...sorry wrong thread.:laugh:

PaulD 27th November 2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 296086)
Well they are - buy em all now! I like how for such cheap sets, they've put some effort into the menu design, which have a cool retro vibe . . .

Yeah, they're onto Christmas list. No more buying from me until after New Year.

Rik 27th November 2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 296087)
I want posters, postcards, booklets, blood. sweat and tears from the makers...sorry wrong thread.:laugh:

Don't buy the standard BD of Zombie Flesh Eaters then, no poster and Antonella Fulci isn't hand delivering them either, I'm so mad right now so I'm off to Blu-ray.com to join in with the bashing*

*Arrow bashing, not bishop, even though most posters on that site are wankers :D

Rik 27th November 2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296094)
No more buying from me until after New Year.

Same for me, hopefully, maybe, probably not :doh:

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296094)
Yeah, they're onto Christmas list. No more buying from me until after New Year.

I just bought the Slasher set, keep spotting sets I didn't know about . . .

PaulD 27th November 2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 296100)
I just bought the Slasher set, keep spotting sets I didn't know about . . .

Is that the one with Deep Red on under The Hatchet Murders title?

Slippery Jack 27th November 2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296103)
Is that the one with Deep Red on under The Hatchet Murders title?

Yeah, though I didn't know about that :eek: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th November 2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 296108)
Yeah, though I didn't know about that :eek: . . .

My set with Your Vice on it hasn't arrived yet, but now you've said its near blu-ray quality i can't wait. :woot:

;)

davcol 27th November 2012 05:57 PM

Regarding pop flix they have a youtube channel which has most of the giallo titles up on there, its called Pizzaflix .

monkeyscreams 27th November 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 296047)

I have the 'Deadly Fiends Collection' also. I have seen Your Vice... this week, and it looks not bad at all. Very watchable, especially considering the price. Audio is fine too. Nice film btw! Worth the price.
Killers on the Loose Collection is unavailable unfortunately (at Amazon), it contains The Fifth Cord. I want this!

SharonLynette 27th November 2012 07:21 PM

Have finally started to unwrap my precious blu-rays. Watched Tenebrae (1982) last night, I have seen this film several times but still feel like an excited toddler when I watch this, Plus Goblin at The Arches, Glasgow is a great extra even if its just two songs.

Also trying to get my money's worth with my Lovefilm subscription so streaming through the 360 ended up watching the following yesterday:

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964) a fabulous, tense film.
The Old Dark House (1932) a great film to watch at 3am, I just love Charles Laughton.

I'm mainly searching under horror on lovefilm and putting them in order of release date and starting with the oldest, a pain to skip through.

Also been watching some episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? through Lovefilm.

Rik 27th November 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 296188)
Plus Goblin at The Arches, Glasgow is a great extra even if its just two songs.

That's my favourite part of the entire set, there's a few more poorly shot songs from that gig on you tube too, I wish they'd announce a UK tour for next year, I suspect a few of us would like to see them live

SharonLynette 27th November 2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296191)
That's my favourite part of the entire set, there's a few more poorly shot songs from that gig on you tube too, I wish they'd announce a UK tour for next year, I suspect a few of us would like to see them live

Yes, I would love to.

fuzzymctiger 27th November 2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296191)

They did a gig in Melbourne for music week, and also a live performance over Suspiria, but the Suspiria sold out, and the concert was 18+ :mmph:

Make Them Die Slowly 27th November 2012 10:10 PM

PROMETHEUS. Completely pointless prequel to the ALIEN films. It asks big questions and answers them with a depth and richness I last found when examining my own shit. A shiny and hollow bauble at best.

Rik 27th November 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 296233)
It asks big questions and answers them with a depth and richness I last found when examining my own shit.

Funniest thing I've read on here all day ha ha :clap::lol:

Gojirosan 27th November 2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 296233)
PROMETHEUS. Completely pointless prequel to the ALIEN films. It asks big questions and answers them with a depth and richness I last found when examining my own shit. A shiny and hollow bauble at best.

Succinct and absolutely spot on.

JoshuaKaitlyn 27th November 2012 11:02 PM

The Breed (2001) 1/10 What a pile of £$%&! Crap story, crap acting, crap effects just Crap! Crap! Crap! :eek:

Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 6/10 I dont know maybe its the fact that I had to stop and start several times but this just didnt work for me.....Although it did have a few...(cough!) highlights! ;)

Last of the Mohicans (1992) 9/10 Not perfect, but for me pretty damned close! Although the Directors definitive cut dosent change much from the UK's DVD version. A few extra lines and slightly longer scenes. :)

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) 8/10 Not a franchise I thought really needed a reboot and although I enjoyed this version I'm still not convinced it does. A little overlong at 2 hours 16 minutes and the CGI lizard was for me a little over done. :)