Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

fuzzymctiger 27th November 2012 11:54 PM

Skyfall - Excellent action movie, though it felt less like Bond, and more like Law Abiding Citizen. Quite liked the recurring themes of abandoments and death though.

ThePopeofCOSDS 28th November 2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 295886)
The Cabin In The Woods - 2011 USA d: Drew Goddard

Thoroughly smug and angering load of bollocks that thinks it's so very clever. The comedy isn't funny, the horror isn't horrifying. One can't help but imagine a lot of self congratulation and patting each other on the back when this was written. It is infuriating from start to end and really doesn't offer anything more than Williamson and Craven dished up with more fun and less pretension as Scream.

Avoid.

Here's The Church's take on it.

Gojirosan 28th November 2012 01:14 AM

Bats - 1999 USA d: Louis Morneau

I have seen and watch a lot of creature features. Monster flicks/nature runs riot flicks are amongst my favourite films of all. Good ones, bad ones, indifferent ones, something about the genre agrees with me and is a source of constant joy. Most of the output in this field nowadays is from the likes of the SyFy Channel and their suppliers, The Asylum, Corman etc and is low budget stuff capitalising on the affordability of CGI and the availability of ageing and second string stars.

Now, Bats is just like one of those films but with a couple of differences that make it interesting. Firstly the monster FX are mostly on-set puppets and animatronics and the film clearly had some kind of a budget - shot on film, in 'scope with a professional Hollywood crew.

To say that I enjoyed SyFy Channel type schlock that looked this good (some gimmicky camera stuff aside) would be an understatement. This is splendid fun that ticks many essential boxes (mutant critters, mad scientist, military involvement, Lou Diamond Phillips, explosions...) whilst looking far better than it has any right to do! In many ways it is a real throwback to 70s type post-Jaws monster films (Nightwing, The Prophecy etc) shot on film by professionals.

Very good fun indeed, and having only ever seen this on TV before, it was nice to see the full 'scope widescreen frame in the (astounding quality) UK DVD release which I found in a charity shop this afternoon for £1.50.

Cherry Falls - 2000, USA d: Geoffrey Wright

Superior comedy-slasher from the director of Romper Stomper. Almost everything about this skews your perceptions: the heroine (Brittany Murphy) is one properly weird girl, one of the main heroes is...ah, that would be a spoiler...some nice red herrings are dropped, the killer goes for virgins (the main gimmick of the film), the darkest most violent scenes are often the funniest. It's a great film that sits highly in the realm of the post- Scream teen-slasher revival.

Highly recommended.

davcol 28th November 2012 03:00 AM

Camp blood 2. had this to watch for a few years and finally got round to it earlier and oh my lord what a laugh. it looked like it had been filmed on a camcorder with a bunch of non actors in all of the leads. think of a cross between blair witch and scream starring your mates , this film has to be seen to be believed. i must now find camp blood 1.

gag 28th November 2012 07:50 AM

12 angry men,
This is exactly how a good film is made, all take place in one room with 12 men as the jury all debating if a man is guilty / or innocent of killing his dad and that's it, strange how actually nothing happens in the film but be so engrossing yet there films out there with plenty going on action etc but yet be so dull and boring,

Handyman Joe 28th November 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 296188)
Have finally started to unwrap my precious blu-rays. Watched Tenebrae (1982) last night, I have seen this film several times but still feel like an excited toddler when I watch this, Plus Goblin at The Arches, Glasgow is a great extra even if its just two songs.

Also trying to get my money's worth with my Lovefilm subscription so streaming through the 360 ended up watching the following yesterday:

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964) a fabulous, tense film.
The Old Dark House (1932) a great film to watch at 3am, I just love Charles Laughton.

I'm mainly searching under horror on lovefilm and putting them in order of release date and starting with the oldest, a pain to skip through.

Also been watching some episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? through Lovefilm.

The Old Dark House really is fantastic, so many quotable lines, 'even Welsh ought naught to sound like that' or 'ave a potato' being my favourites

I was at that Goblin gig - it was pretty good, although it did stray into noodling territory at times. Saw Swans at the Arches last week and it was excruciating, unlistenable, unbearable.

One new movie (for me) - Tokyo Drifter - Just eye and ear candy, pure and simple, as far as I'm concerned, which is fine, I like candy but must admit i was hoping for a bit more substance or failing that some amazing set pieces. It does look amazing though, the Criterion blu is perfect.

Rik 28th November 2012 10:11 AM

Watched a couple of films that couldn't be further apart from each other if they tried. First up was Ted, basically Family Guy with different characters, hugely enjoyable and extremely funny, it had me laughing out loud pretty much all the way through.
Followed it with Alex Chandon's latest effort-Inbred AKA "Yorkshire Folk Should Be Avoided". Pretty enjoyable film with some great gore effects, a catchy song and loads of swearing. I did feel mightily pissed off after it had finished at the way it makes people from Yorkshire out to be inbred, animal ****ing, toothless weirdo's who are all thick as the pigshit they bathe in! I live in a small village not too dissimilar from the one depicted in the film, full of farmland and Postman Pat type country roads and not once have I uttered the immortal phrase "Ee by gum" or tried to have sex with members of my own family or the sheep and donkeys that the fields round here are full of!

ArgentoFan1987 28th November 2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 296265)
12 angry men,
This is exactly how a good film is made, all take place in one room with 12 men as the jury all debating if a man is guilty / or innocent of killing his dad and that's it, strange how actually nothing happens in the film but be so engrossing yet there films out there with plenty going on action etc but yet be so dull and boring,

12 Angry Men is one of my favourite films of all time. I can watch it over and over and never get bored.

Cherry Falls on the other hand happens to be one of my worst films :|

gag 28th November 2012 01:33 PM

The innkeepers wasn't a bad film for all its efforts just felt like it never got out of 2nd gear and wasn't sure where it was heading and going but felt like we never actually got there, it was like the women in black in terms of slow and not much happening and relying on tension and atmosphere, worth a watch but don't expect much

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th November 2012 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick report on the Deadly Fiends Collection.

I just had a flick through them using the chapter select.

All the films are widescreen, with very good picture quality, and a decent well audible soundtracks.

As far as being uncut, well i can't be sure but the bath tub murder in The Case of the Bloody Iris is intact, and Edwige has no problems in the nudity dept in Your Vice....

At such a bargain price for two rare films you really can't go wrong.

I am delighted with this set. Recommended.

Hawkmonger 28th November 2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 296343)
Just a quick report on the Deadly Fiends Collection.

I just had a flick through them using the chapter select.

All the films are widescreen, with very good picture quality, and a decent well audible soundtracks.

As far as being uncut, well i can't be sure but the bath tub murder in The Case of the Bloody Iris is intact, and Edwige has no problems in the nudity dept in Your Vice....

At such a bargain price for two rare films you really can't go wrong.

I am delighted with this set. Recommended.

I was holding off these set's in the hope of a R2 releasae of either Iris or Vice. But if the PQ is as good as you say, why not!

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th November 2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 296344)
I was holding off these set's in the hope of a R2 releasae of either Iris or Vice. But if the PQ is as good as you say, why not!

They aren't HD remasters or anything like that but i viewed them on a 42" tv and upscaled them and was delighted.

mercury 28th November 2012 03:15 PM

Cassadaga.....watched this after seeing Rick's cover art for it. Wasn't great but an enjoyable watch for a supernatural slasher.

A Big Year....comedy about bird watchers. Not that funny actually but great if you like birds:)

PaulD 28th November 2012 05:17 PM

Madness: uneven mid-90's Bruno Mattei giallo. With its tale of a killer being inspired by a comic book it seems heavily influenced by Tenebrae (at one point the comic's creator says to the police "If someone is murdered with an electric drill do you get in touch with Black and Decker?" and the similarities stretch further than this line of dialogue). It's ok but a bit uneven in the middle, drags on at the end once the killer's identity has been revealed and suffers from a really inappropriate use of music but fans of the genre should still be able to tolerate it though.

Demoncrat 28th November 2012 05:38 PM

Showed mate most of Mordum, before he balked and asked me to put it off. :laugh::laugh:

Rik 28th November 2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 296412)
Showed mate most of Mordum, before he balked and asked me to put it off. :laugh::laugh:

Hard work that film, I've still only managed about 15 minutes of the third one who's name escapes me right now, awful awful films!

re.form 28th November 2012 06:57 PM

Tyrannasour -- bleak Brit genre. Very well put together, very effective and sometimes difficult to watch (I'm a dog lover). Powerful stuff. I won't be watching it again anytime soon. (Because it's very realistic and I live in reality all the time and prefer for the most part to watch films to escape it). :)

SShaw 28th November 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296289)
once have I uttered the immortal phrase "Ee by gum" or tried to have sex with members of my own family or the sheep and donkeys that the fields round here are full of!

You are still young, plenty of time yet to conform and accept your destiny.

IMHO Inbred started out quite well and then descended into stupidity. A one joke film whose one joke isn't even funny.

demonknight 28th November 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296449)
Hard work that film, I've still only managed about 15 minutes of the third one who's name escapes me right now, awful awful films!

What's bad about them? Terrible violence or just very badly made?

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th November 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296449)

Because they are rubbish or due to shocking content?

Rik 28th November 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 296453)

I can live with badly made films, I love Italian cinema ;) but for me when a film relies on it's characters throwing up on each other as entertainment, I've gotta draw the line. It was my choice to watch these films(ripped from the DVD's from a mate) and that was out of curiosity only and I'm glad I did, but I can't see me ever watching them again

Slippery Jack 28th November 2012 07:08 PM

Irma Vep

Very impressive for the most part - a lot of it rang very true from my experience of being in a film crew, though thankfully I've never been on a production quite as disastrous! Superb casting of Maggie Cheung in the lead role - an effortlessly likable screen prescence, and added some much needed warmth to the film. The only problem was that it didn't seem to have a third act, just kind of fizzled out with a bit of freaky weirdness thrown in at the end . . .

Slippery Jack 28th November 2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 296329)
The innkeepers wasn't a bad film for all its efforts just felt like it never got out of 2nd gear and wasn't sure where it was heading and going but felt like we never actually got there.

Yeah I felt the same. Really liked the two main characters, and their relationship was well developed. Just a shame they were stuck in such a bland ghost story . . .

demonknight 28th November 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296457)
I can live with badly made films, I love Italian cinema ;) but for me when a film relies on it's characters throwing up on each other as entertainment, I've gotta draw the line. It was my choice to watch these films(ripped from the DVD's from a mate) and that was out of curiosity only and I'm glad I did, but I can't see me ever watching them again

Fair enough. Makes one wonder what The Vomit Gore Trilogy are like? More puking I wonder?

Rik 28th November 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 296465)
Fair enough. Makes one wonder what The Vomit Gore Trilogy are like? More puking I wonder?

The mate that ripped me the AU DVD's was asking if I knew of any more sick films that he could track down, I mentioned the Vomit Gore Trilogy to him so he's currently trying to source them, I think I'll give those a miss though :fear:

demonknight 28th November 2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 296468)
The mate that ripped me the AU DVD's was asking if I knew of any more sick films that he could track down, I mentioned the Vomit Gore Trilogy to him so he's currently trying to source them, I think I'll give those a miss though :fear:

I'm not familiar with any AU movies,but from what i've heard I won't be looking out for them any time soon.

Rik 28th November 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 296473)
I'm not familiar with any AU movies,but from what i've heard I won't be looking out for them any time soon.

Well like I said, I watched them out of curiosity, just to see if they are as offensive as people say, which they are and I highly doubt I'll watch them again

Delirium 28th November 2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 296473)

You're missing nothing. Seriously. Save those hours of your life.

Nordicdusk 28th November 2012 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 91977

I love this film each time i watch it i get something else out of it and notice things i didnt notice the previous time. There are very few films like that for me and each time i see this film its like a new experience.

keirarts 28th November 2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 296453)

With mordum the last 10 minutes especially make all the crying over SERBIAN FILM seem laughable, its a far more harrowing experience than SF could ever hope to be with its silly looking rubber dolly's. In my opinion the august underground films are well made, just really really tough going and genuinely troubling as well.

Rik 28th November 2012 11:05 PM

Just watched The Departed for the first time, as those who are friends with me on Facebook will have seen earlier tonight, I've never seen it because I can't stand Leonardo DiCaprio (same reason I haven't seen Shutter Island), but I've gotta say I loved it and feel a bit foolish for letting my hatred of an actor stop me from seeing a cracking film before tonight! A nice nod to the shower scene in Psycho too towards the end with shots that are identical :clap::clap:

Still think he's a twat though! :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 28th November 2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 296465)

I've seen the first one which I enjoyed. It's an underground horror/art film with excessive amounts of vomit fetish scenes. If you like to push yourself, and what you find acceptable/beyond the pale in the realms of extreme cinema it's worth a look. Do have a sick bag ready as it truly is a vomit inducing film and made me gag several times whilst watching it!

gag 29th November 2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 296505)
I've seen the first one which I enjoyed. It's an underground horror/art film with excessive amounts of vomit fetish scenes. If you like to push yourself, and what you find acceptable/beyond the pale in the realms of extreme cinema it's worth a look. Do have a sick bag ready as it truly is a vomit inducing film and made me gag several times whilst watching it!

we all have different taste and opinions of films and what good bad right wrong but realy why would anyone want to watch such films that make them feel that way feel dirty unclean disgusting sick etc, arent films meant to be enjoyable to watch ?

ThePopeofCOSDS 29th November 2012 12:56 AM

Watched Brainiac not too long ago. It's entertaining in a completely horrible way. Needed boobies.

REVIEW

- Razor88

PaulD 29th November 2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 296509)
we all have different taste and opinions of films and what good bad right wrong but realy why would anyone want to watch such films that make them feel that way feel dirty unclean disgusting sick etc, arent films meant to be enjoyable to watch ?

Not necessarily. Is Last House on the Left enjoyable to watch?

Rik 29th November 2012 11:11 AM

Pet Sematary-not on blu ray, but still upscaled rather well on DVD. Say what you like about this film but I put it up there with some of the better Stephen King adaptions (damn sight better than Kubricks piss poor adaption of The Shining) and it'll always be a soft spot for me seeing as the book was my first SK novel and the first adult book I ever read at the impressionable age of either 11 or 12, plus Zelda still creeps me out 20 years after first watching it, I can't honestly think of another film that can do this, hence my reason for watching it in broad daylight! :fear:

Will definitely be upgrading once Xmas is out of the way!

Demoncrat 29th November 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 296496)
With mordum the last 10 minutes especially make all the crying over SERBIAN FILM seem laughable, its a far more harrowing experience than SF could ever hope to be with its silly looking rubber dolly's. In my opinion the august underground films are well made, just really really tough going and genuinely troubling as well.

Stirred up a wee nest haven't I?. Mordum is just a film...it isn't Orcozo or anything like that.
Mate mentioned it in passing (he's the one who sat bored through Snuff 102 etc) so on it went. I guess it all has to do with the level of empathy you feel for people really....

On a slightly different tack, a chap at the radio proclaimed "have you seen a film called Man Bites Dog then?" To which I started singing "Cinema! Cinema!" at the top of my voice;).....and I'm surprised I'm single hahaha

JoshuaKaitlyn 29th November 2012 02:16 PM

Nightwing (1979) With one of the funniest bat attacks I've ever seen!:laugh:

The One That Got Away (1957) Good old fashioned British war movie.:)

The Blood Spattered Bride (1972) Last time I saw this was thirty years ago on VHS and the scene that stuck in my impressionable teenage mind was Alexandra Bastedo being dug out of the sand and realising she was sans clothing! :clap: Thirty years later its still the only scene thats gonna stick! The movie as a whole wasn't that great!:(

gag 29th November 2012 03:02 PM

The tall man
I enjoyed this very well made film about kids that are going missing, can't say to much about the film without giving story line away but a highly enjoyable watch ,

In time many films have had stories where you can only live till a certain age like Logan's run, but this has a different concept where you literally are living on borrowed time and you can beg win and steal time to live longer, but you don't age but can live longer different and enjoyable watching the 2 main characters rebel against the system,

Pulse you can tell this is a Hollywood remake due to that fact the storyline is strange and weird and jgrudge style that's not the type that Hollywood could come up with, but weird freaky and enjoyable that makes me want to seek out the sequels

demonknight 29th November 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 296590)
Stirred up a wee nest haven't I?. Mordum is just a film...it isn't Orcozo or anything like that.
Mate mentioned it in passing (he's the one who sat bored through Snuff 102 etc) so on it went. I guess it all has to do with the level of empathy you feel for people really....

On a slightly different tack, a chap at the radio proclaimed "have you seen a film called Man Bites Dog then?" To which I started singing "Cinema! Cinema!" at the top of my voice;).....and I'm surprised I'm single hahaha

Orozco the Embalmer by any chance?