All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179599Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2018, 12:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The New Barbarians

Homoerotic codswollop spinning out of Mad Max 2 into weirdo guns for cocks stand off at the end. The baddies are cool, looking like Dave Hill from Slade has dressed up The Glitter Band as himself.

The Convent

Fun rip off of Night of the Demons minus the T&A but with added luminosity.

Delirium

A mountain of breasts in search of a plot amongst the pointless attempts at surrealism.
New Barbarians seems right up my street; can't wait to watch my copy

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2018, 01:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Mummy (2017)

Tom Cruise stars in a check list of other better horror and sci-fi movies.

Tom is on auto-cruise whilst Russell Crowe hams it up as Dr. Jekyll but thankfully this wasn't the OTT effects fest it could have been as the mummy of the title is chained tight in Jekyll's military style compound for the majority of proceedings.

The film falls down with the Mummy itself. A Mummy is largely irrelevant in movies today. A shambling bandaged figure just wouldn't shock unless the film is a small scale slasher style horror which this isn't and there are only so many plagues of crows or sandstorms you can throw at the screen before audience interest begins to wain.

I'm not sure where Universal hopes to take it's new Dark Universe franchise. This film clocking in at 100 minutes was short enough to get by as a spectacle and vehicle for Tom Cruise but as the end credits rolled hinting at Universal horrors to come such as Frankenstein and Dracula i can't imagine whet they intend to do. Surely not have them throw buildings at each other in a Marvel Cinematic Universe vein?

I didn't think The Mummy was as bad as critics suggested. Whilst not a patch on the first film from the 90's Brendan Fraser reboot it's head and shoulders above it's two sequels. It still doesn't make this a good film though, even if i found it mildly entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-mummy-movie-poster.jpg (81.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th January 2018, 02:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
New Barbarians seems right up my street; can't wait to watch my copy

I watched my Blu-ray/DVD combo from Blue Underground a few nights back.I first saw it on the Entertainment video label in the 80s & it's held up surprisingly well though I prefer BRONX WARRIORS.
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.
Old 14th January 2018, 02:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I watched my Blu-ray/DVD combo from Blue Underground a few nights back.I first saw it on the Entertainment video label in the 80s & it's held up surprisingly well though I prefer BRONX WARRIORS.
I got the shameless boxset a couple of weeks ago

Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 14th January 2018, 03:43 PM
Cult Addict

Tonight She Comes

Very good Indie style horror which starts out as a wonky comedy before tripping over into a glorious madness of blood, sex and gore.

The best new horror film I have seen in ages.

Highly recommended.
Old 14th January 2018, 03:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Haven't Universal 'rethought' this Dark business?? That's what I heard.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th January 2018, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Tonight She Comes

Very good Indie style horror which starts out as a wonky comedy before tripping over into a glorious madness of blood, sex and gore.

Highly recommended.

Duly noted
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th January 2018, 03:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Tonight She Comes

Highly recommended.
Noted.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th January 2018, 05:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Tonight She Comes

Highly recommended.
It was on my films of the year list after seeing it at Grimmfest in 2016. Even got to sit and chat with the director. Fully agree its terrific.
Old 14th January 2018, 05:53 PM
Cult Addict

The darkest hour

The film follows Winston Churchill from his appointment as Prime minister after the coalition expresses no confidence in Neville Chamberlin up to the successful
evacuation of the beaches of Dunkirk.
I had some apprehensions over the film going in. My one being that I'd be stuck in a cinema full of leave voters covertly masturbating under their Daily Mails. I jest of course, and lets not take this as an expression of politics but more that I was concerned about the film, at least the story its telling, being hijacked as a piece of propaganda. One of the most frustrating things about this period, when for a time we were on the right side of history is how it seems to get hijacked by people who seem to stand for the sort of things Churchill was vehemently opposed to. By proxy it ultimately then becomes like putting the flags up on a national holiday, an act of paranoia thanks to the sort of people who are the very reason its seen as racist. The fact is, darkest hour is a solid little film. Gary Oldman is great as Churchill, Kristin Scott Thomas is great as his wife. In fact there's few if any Duff performances. It didn't feel especially like propaganda rather an attempt to finally nail this particular part of UK history once and for all.

Like this? Share it using the links below!