Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179412Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2018, 08:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I only tend to do it if I’m watching a film I’m not enjoying, or when I’m watching the Lord of the Rings Extended blu rays which are conveniently split over two discs
I'm the same, well I was seeing as I'm on the vape now

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th January 2018, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Disaster Artist (2017, James Franco)
So in 10 years we'll get a Spacey film no doubt . Watch The Day Of The Locust instead folks.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 15th January 2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:06 AM
Cult Addict

Another Heaven

Detective Manabu is on a team hunting a serial killer. At each scene the victims are horrifically mutilated and their brains removed and cooked up. Even when they manage to catch the apparent killer the crimes continue. The suspects brain has shrunk and shows signs of tumours. The new killer seems to exhibit similar personality traits to the previous one and forms a deadly obsession with Manabu.
If you haven't guessed its a body jumping killer, though that's pretty easy to guess. The film is well worth seeking out, though not easy to get these days. Its got some fairly nasty murder scenes and a dark tone, however it also manages to throw some humour into the mix. The killers identity is ultimately quite vague but actually appears to be less relevant than his/her motives.

Noroi, the curse.

Not one to watch before bed. Its a found footage film from Japan made about 2005 but doesn't seem to have received a massive release in the west. Strange because at the time it was made it would have got some attention. Its about as well executed a found footage film as I've seen, rewarding careful attention to plot details that pay off later in the film.
It follows a paranormal investigator piecing together various strange incidents which lead to a genuinely horrifying conclusion. It avoids having characters offer massive info dumps of information each time something worrying happens and slowly hints and whats happening. Great stuff.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Noroi. Everytime I watch it, I shit myself.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th January 2018, 01:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Hunting Party (1971)

Gene Hackman stars as a wealthy business man whose wife (Candice Bergen) is kidnapped by a ruthless gang of cut throats led by Oliver Reed. Hackman vows revenge and goes after the gang using newly invented long range hunting rifles.

One of the most nihilistic and brutal westerns i think i've seen. Much of it is extremely distasteful featuring multiple rapes, brutality against women and a horse fall that i can't un-see. Not to mention the many extremely bloody killings on show.This British western from Don Medford remains a decent enough and original film well, original if you haven't seen The Most Dangerous Game that is, which has a spaghetti vibe to it aided by a fine score from Riz Ortolani. There's barely a chink of light to be seen in this dark brooding affair where a case of Stockholm Syndrome between Bergen and Reed remains the only vestiges of humanity on offer.

The Hunting Party isn't one of the great westerns but it does offer something different to the norm and is well worth seeing although i do wish i'd seen the cut British print because as i said i can't un-see that horrific horse trip.
Old 15th January 2018, 03:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bay 2012

A university journalist and cameraman document a small coastal town annual party, what starts off as a good day turns into a nightmare when the towns people become ill and covered in boils. The emergency rooms is full, the doctor consults with the C.D.C who have no idea what has caused this and the journalists records everything for the public to know what exactly happened.

Finally got round to watching this found footage movie, Jaws had the tagline "just when you thought it was safe to be in the water". This movie should come with that too.

This isnt your basic horror movie, its more ecological dark thriller type movie, there is a bit of gore in this film, as people try to understand whats wrong as we finally find out what caused the epidemic and the panic that erupts and the cover up of the government.

The movie is not fast paced as other found footage movies have been, the acting was well done and very well directed by Barry Levinson, this film may make you think twice about drinking water. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main image.jpg (12.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th January 2018, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Beast Within (1982)

*** out of *****

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)

**** out of *****

Maniac Cop 2 (1990)

***1/2 out of *****

Detroit (2017)

**** out of *****

The Fog (1980)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 15th January 2018, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Hunting Party (1971)

Gene Hackman stars as a wealthy business man whose wife (Candice Bergen) is kidnapped by a ruthless gang of cut throats led by Oliver Reed. Hackman vows revenge and goes after the gang using newly invented long range hunting rifles.

One of the most nihilistic and brutal westerns i think i've seen. Much of it is extremely distasteful featuring multiple rapes, brutality against women and a horse fall that i can't un-see. Not to mention the many extremely bloody killings on show.This British western from Don Medford remains a decent enough and original film well, original if you haven't seen The Most Dangerous Game that is, which has a spaghetti vibe to it aided by a fine score from Riz Ortolani. There's barely a chink of light to be seen in this dark brooding affair where a case of Stockholm Syndrome between Bergen and Reed remains the only vestiges of humanity on offer.

The Hunting Party isn't one of the great westerns but it does offer something different to the norm and is well worth seeing although i do wish i'd seen the cut British print because as i said i can't un-see that horrific horse trip.
It's a brutal wee flick alright. Rewatch!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 15th January 2018, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Even if you aren't a fan of superhero films you probably enjoy this , Arron Johnson is young man that wonders why noone has decided to be come a superhero in real life, he soon dons the mantle of kick ass and it's not long before he becomes a internet sensation, but it soons becomes very dangerous when he comes to the attention of a mobster ( mark strong) but he has help from Big Daddy( nicolas cage) and a scene stealing Chloe Grace Moretz as hit girl. Brutal and funny and in a lot of ways better than a lot of marvel/DC films and definitely more fun. 9/10
Old 15th January 2018, 10:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dunkirk. The Christopher Nolan one. Hard one to pin down this. I didn't really ever get a sense that there were 300,000 men waiting to get picked up from the beaches. Instead of hammering home the scale of the evacuation after the remnants of the British and French armies had been defeated by Hitler on mainland Europe, it concentrated on 3 stories. Air, sea, and land. Really, the evacuation story was lurching from one disaster to another with either the unluckiest (or luckiest i suppose) squadie suffering multiple sinkings. The air story was a bit more uplifting and ended with the sort of stiff-upper lipedness that you'd expect from a film of this nature, and the story of the little boats, while laced with tragedy showed that those left behind were made of stern stuff too.

The very sparse script and continually tense soundtrack certainly helped the atmosphere of the film, but i still can't help feeling that i've watched something somewhat flimsy on substance compared to the original movie of the same name.

A good film, and at times i found it emotional for reasons that escape me, but a popcorner rather than particularly informative. I'd probably go for 3 1/2 out of 5.

Like this? Share it using the links below!