Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2018, 11:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Dunkirk. The Christopher Nolan one. Hard one to pin down this. I didn't really ever get a sense that there were 300,000 men waiting to get picked up from the beaches. Instead of hammering home the scale of the evacuation after the remnants of the British and French armies had been defeated by Hitler on mainland Europe, it concentrated on 3 stories. Air, sea, and land. Really, the evacuation story was lurching from one disaster to another with either the unluckiest (or luckiest i suppose) squadie suffering multiple sinkings. The air story was a bit more uplifting and ended with the sort of stiff-upper lipedness that you'd expect from a film of this nature, and the story of the little boats, while laced with tragedy showed that those left behind were made of stern stuff too.

The very sparse script and continually tense soundtrack certainly helped the atmosphere of the film, but i still can't help feeling that i've watched something somewhat flimsy on substance compared to the original movie of the same name.

A good film, and at times i found it emotional for reasons that escape me, but a popcorner rather than particularly informative. I'd probably go for 3 1/2 out of 5.
Totally agree, Deadite.

My viewing pleasure of this was enhanced by the original film and the BBC production from several years ago. Had i not seen those two i'm not sure i really would have got the sheer scale of the evacuation from Nolan's ever so hollow film. Technically it's excellent but it ain't a patch on the 1958 film in the story department.
keirarts and Deadite like this.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I know folks won't be impressed with this but I sometimes use pirate streaming sites to check out recent films (funds are limited). I tried out 'It' and the streaming failed after 70 minutes (no substitute for physical media). To be honest, I wasn't too upset as I felt extremely indifferent about the movie. It was nothing particularly special despite the success. btw Why can't they use actual make-up to create a leper instead of poorly realized cgi effects.

So I tried another film after that particular streaming effort failed. Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water. Wow, what a difference. I loved this movie! I don't want to build up expectations too much but I thought that this was easily del Toro's best film since Pan's Labyrinth. Set in the early 1960's, it shows the relationship between a mute female cleaner and an amphibious humanoid in a government facility. Beautiful film, will purchase on blu-ray day one.

btw I think my wife will also love Shape of Water.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Predator 2 (1990)

So underrated. Awesome sequel.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 16th January 2018, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran

I've not seen Predator 2 since the 90s, I loved it back then and I've been keen to give it a re-watch soon, I watched the original Predator late last year!
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th January 2018, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jabberwocky (Terry Gilliam)
This being the Criterion edition (mate's Xmas from brother etc). Bonny tis. Feckless poltroon Palin leaves his hovel to seek his fortune ... with hilarious results. A cavalcade of Brit comedy stalwarts shore up the background, Max Wall especially. A very silly film. The creature looked less crappy funnily enough this time. Nice crisp print (well duh ... )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 17th January 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 16th January 2018, 06:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Return of Walpurgis (1972)

The legendary Paul Naschy returns for a seventh time as Waldemar Daninsky in a film that paid no reference whatsoever to the first six films and gives Daninsky's Wolf Man new origins.

Although set in the modern day it's still a highly Gothic experience - do villagers still hunt folk using flaming torches like they did in the 18th century? They do in Naschy country. The plot is a mish mash of everything as per usual - witches curses, werewolf resurrections, Naschy bedding beautiful women, OTT gore and er' Countess Bathory. The great man himself comes across as a highly sympathetic character by day despite ripping locals throats out by night.

Terrific stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 114691.jpg (93.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th January 2018, 07:44 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Return of Walpurgis (1972)

The legendary Paul Naschy returns for a seventh time as Waldemar Daninsky in a film that paid no reference whatsoever to the first six films and gives Daninsky's Wolf Man new origins.

Although set in the modern day it's still a highly Gothic experience - do villagers still hunt folk using flaming torches like they did in the 18th century? They do in Naschy country. The plot is a mish mash of everything as per usual - witches curses, werewolf resurrections, Naschy bedding beautiful women, OTT gore and er' Countess Bathory. The great man himself comes across as a highly sympathetic character by day despite ripping locals throats out by night.

Terrific stuff!
You haven't visited Nottingham recently, have you?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th January 2018, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just about to start watching IT (2017) .
keirarts, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 16th January 2018, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Just about to start watching IT (2017) .
Hope you enjoy Trebor, I just finished watching it
Old 16th January 2018, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hope you enjoy Trebor, I just finished watching it
Me too.

I know a couple of people didn't enjoy it but it was just as good as when I saw it at the cinema. Very creepy with some unnerving scenes especially the opening scene with poor old Georgie. Very well acted from the young cast, who have good careers ahead of them if this is anything to go by.

Shame we wont see part two till next year, think it should of been shot back to back, but with it being a horror and they usual not making Megabucks can understand why it was done. We will have to see if part two will be as good as part one , for me the adults parts of the novel and mini series were the weakest. 9/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!