Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 12th April 2010 10:31 PM

Watched City Of Rott tonight - the animated zombie film I ordered a while ago. I thought it was pretty good, quite funny and very enjoyable - nice and bloody too! You can tell it's made by a fan of zombie films too, since it's filled to the brim with (not so subtle) homages and references. It's amazing to think that one person wrote, directed, voiced, animated, produced (and EVERYTHING else) this film! This is about as close to true auteurship as you're going to get, IMO, if he keeps making similar films.

Check it out if your a zombie fan - just for the novelty value alone.

antmumford 12th April 2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 73656)
Watched City Of Rott tonight - the animated zombie film I ordered a while ago. I thought it was pretty good, quite funny and very enjoyable - nice and bloody too! You can tell it's made by a fan of zombie films too, since it's filled to the brim with (not so subtle) homages and references. It's amazing to think that one person wrote, directed, voiced, animated, produced (and EVERYTHING else) this film! This is about as close to true auteurship as you're going to get, IMO, if he keeps making similar films.

Check it out if your a zombie fan - just for the novelty value alone.

I watched this a couple of weeks ago, was good fun. Was continuously gorey from beginning to end. A fantastic effort from just one guy

snapon 13th April 2010 03:23 AM

new films

got mesrine part1and 2.

oaxaca 13th April 2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapon (Post 73695)
got mesrine part1and 2.

Oh yeS!! Vincent Cassell is one of the best current actors and Mesrine is so cool you wouldn't believe :heh::D

sgt harry 13th April 2010 06:33 AM

megan fox and susan george

watched megan foxs body last night [she can eat me any day] the bonus when the film was over sam peckanpahs straw dogs was on channel 5 :happy::happy::happy:thanx oaxaca that reminds me i think ill watchthem both tonite [i kept puttingit of so many to watch so little time to watch them

oaxaca 13th April 2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgt harry (Post 73699)
watched megan foxs body last night [she can eat me any day] the bonus when the film was over sam peckanpahs straw dogs was on channel 5 :happy::happy::happy:thanx oaxaca that reminds me i think ill watchthem both tonite [i kept puttingit of so many to watch so little time to watch them

I watched straw dogs last night on C5 too. I'm pretty sure half the cast out of The Sweeney were in it :p

42ndStreetFreak 13th April 2010 09:36 AM

"Scream of Fear" -
Ho hum.
Has some one or two shock visuals (the swimming pool scene is class) but lacks any real horror aesthetic or macabre content and as such plays far more like a drama/thriller then most of the other 'Hammer' mystery films. Very TV movie like in fact.

Okay stuff, but the plot is muddy (given the planned outcome of the scheme, why all the 'trying to scare her' bits beforehand, unless I missed something) and the bungled way the finale is shot/edited makes it look like everyone, including the police, was simply watching this guy do what he did and said or did nothing to stop him!

Poor Chris Lee had only a few lucky moments with 'Hammer'.
He either has no dialogue, only a tiny bit of dialogue, or has to speak in funny accents when he actually has a lot of dialogue. Hi ho. Must be why he likes "The Devil Rides Out" so much.

"The Whisperers" -

60's British drama that's as dour and bleak as they come.
The barely touched upon at all reason for the titles is that the old lady of our plot , Mrs Ross (superb turn by Edith Evans), hears whispering voices in her house (we don't).
This sounds like a psychological horror premise but its not as these few and far between 'whispering' moments are indeed all in her head (this is never in doubt) and have no more plot importance than any other aspects of her general state of mind.
As such it's a strange, rather misleading, title for the film.

Really this is a grim, 'kitchen sink', 60's drama about an old lady becoming more and more senile and being ignored by and taken advantage of by those around her. Including a seemingly kind middle aged woman (in a shocking scene of blatant cold blooded thievery), her off the rails son (a typical weasel turn by Ronald Fraser) and her wayward Husband (nice scheming turn by the great Eric Portman) and a cold, brow beaten, young neighbour (a good acid turn by the cinematically underrated Nanette Newman).

Director Bryan Forbes (Newman's husband) does a good job guiding the performances and layering the film with grim hopelessness...but it's hardly a barrel of laughs and the overly long running time and deliberate pacing mean it can be a bit of an uphill climb. But worth a look for yet another underrated stab at British life by Forbes.

gag 13th April 2010 10:04 AM

I watched intruder last night a film i havent seen for ages...
For the amount of gore and killing in this im surprised it hardly been mentioned on here...the uncut version has def got plenty of blood guts and gore to offfer to keep fans of this gener very happy

vincenzo 13th April 2010 11:10 AM

The Touchables

Rare swinging 60's stuff with rock star David Anthony finding himself kidnapped and held hostage in a giant plastic dome by a quartet of Britchicks wearing smiles & hot pants (among them Judy Huxtable). Even worse the mad fool tries to escape instead of just lying back and thinking of England. :dance:

Typical psychedelic madness with a cast that includes James Villiers, Peter Gordeno (!), Joan Bakewell (!!! - aka the Thinking Man's Crumpet) and a bunch of gay wrestlers (don't ask). Awesome soundtrack featuring Wynder K Frog and Nirvana (the 60's band), and very typical of its type but still good fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 73720)
"The Whisperers"

Great review and fully agree. One of Forbes's most 'down' movies. Even John Barry appears to have been in a depressed mood with this one. It's a good film but at times resembles more of a Ken Loach than a Bryan Forbes.

cinematheque 13th April 2010 08:37 PM

A couple of films I picked up in Hong Kong, Purple Butterfly with Zhang Ziyi (Lust Caution is a complete rip off of this)
Also the hilarious We're Going to Eat You from Tsui Hark. It's in cantonese with french subtitles but theres no real need for understandable dialogue