Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2018, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The picture quality on the whole is a noticeable improvement over the blu ray with levels of detail not seen there, mind this has the effect of showing the age of some of the special effects. Enjoyable if a little bloated in the middle and could of been a good 20 minutes shorter , the acting of the young cast goes from OK to dreadful but this is made up by the adults which is a who's who of British talent. 7.7/10

Now watching The Mummy (2017)
Old 18th January 2018, 10:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It Comes At night-survival horror with shitloads of 5 star reviews on the poster, that turns out to be equal parts The Road (also depressingly slow), and any number of "infected, you can't trust anyone" movies.

Well acted, but seriously slow, file this alongside stuff like Beyond The Gates and The Void as overhyped beyond belief, and turned out to be crap.

Seriously, you literally can't trust a film with so many good reviews any more! Shame as I wanted to like it. 1/5

Conversly the Stephen King's IT remake was great, better than the tv movie (probably because it was only adapting the better half of the story), the cast genuinely engaging and easy to watch, and the mythology/pennywise genuinely creepy. Roll on "chapter 2". 4/5
Old 18th January 2018, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like Dem said it's not as bad as the critics said, it has its faults for me one of them was the casting of Tom Cruise who was basically Nathan Hunt and the I think 15 million price tag, I do think they should of went with someone less well knowing(saved some money) and written the character differently. The film had some interesting ideas which should of been handle better. The mummy herself was forgettable , which just seemed a vehicle for Cruise's character to become what he does. The real highlight for me was Russel Crowe as Jekyll/Hyde. Also liked the Easter egg too the Brendan Fraser movies which suggest they are part of the same universe. Within the dark universe appearing to be dead before it start it's a shame we would won't see what direction they could of taking it as it could of been interesting if they learned from the mistakes made here, as it was a lot better than man of steel and BvsS. 6.8/10
Old 18th January 2018, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Like Dem said it's not as bad as the critics said, it has its faults for me one of them was the casting of Tom Cruise who was basically Nathan Hunt and the I think 15 million price tag, I do think they should of went with someone less well knowing(saved some money) and written the character differently. The film had some interesting ideas which should of been handle better. The mummy herself was forgettable , which just seemed a vehicle for Cruise's character to become what he does. The real highlight for me was Russel Crowe as Jekyll/Hyde. Also liked the Easter egg too the Brendan Fraser movies which suggest they are part of the same universe. Within the dark universe appearing to be dead before it start it's a shame we would won't see what direction they could of taking it as it could of been interesting learning from the mistakes made here, as it was a lot better than man of steel and BvsS. 6.8/10
What Easter egg, Treb?
Old 18th January 2018, 11:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What Easter egg, Treb?
At one point you see the book from the first film, this is around time Jekyll turns into Hyde. If I hadn't watched yesterday might not of noticed, also in Jekyll's lair you see a vampire skull and what appears to be the hand of a creature of the black lagoon.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
At one point you see the book from the first film, this is around time Jekyll turns into Hyde.
Ah right, sorry i thought you meant an extra scene like they do with the Marvel films.

Can't remember the book but i thought the whole sandstorm sequence was lifted straight from the Fraser film.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Ah right, sorry i thought you meant an extra scene like they do with the Marvel films.

Can't remember the book but i thought the whole sandstorm sequence was lifted straight from the Fraser film.
Ditto.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I thought Cruise's dead partner who kept coming back deader than before was a homage to An American Werewolf in London didn't you?
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I thought Cruise's dead partner who kept coming back deader than before was a homage to An American Werewolf in London didn't you?
Yes, as soon as he came back automatically thought of American werewolf.
Old 19th January 2018, 08:50 AM
Cult Addict

Citizen Kane

Inevitably, when a film gets universally lauded for years as 'the greatest American film ever made', people will come out of the woodwork online to cry 'bulls***'. Partly because seventy five plus years later, many great films have been made. Hell, Vertigo has displaced it on many critics lists. Partly because of the online phenomenon of people being unable to watch the film and taking into account the era it was made in, the films that were being made at the time and its place as a historical artefact. Sure these days, with the advances in screen technology, the improved camera and new techniques developed in the 75+ years since its release, it can even look a little primitive. The rest can be put down to either personal tastes or the small number of movie hipsters who always seem to hate anything well regarded and are fond of the overused 'overrated' one word review.
The fact is, Kane is still a highly entertaining, well paced slice of cinema. It looks modern enough not to have dated too badly. Welles went to town on the picture with his DP Gregg Toland creating a picture that looks well ahead of its time. Herman J. Mankiewicz jigsaw puzzle script that looks at the life of Kane through the perspectives of people who knew him. Going back and forth in time rewards the viewer who pays attention to its details. I first saw this on TV as a kid and I've been a fan ever since. I'm glad to say it still holds up.

Like this? Share it using the links below!