Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2018, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1961)(...)
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is fairly forgettable. (...) Although this is director Terence Fisher's weakest Hammer horror film he gives it an air of class and i still watch it from time to time.

Hammer's next go at Stephenson's story Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971) is a far more interesting and schlocky affair.
^
^
^
This.
Old 24th January 2018, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A absolute classic one of my favourite films of all time, I won't go into the film itself as we all know and love this classic and if you don't you know were the door is, but will go into the picture quality of the arrow release which is truly phenomenal stunning colour and levels of detail not seen before , it really is like it was shot yesterday and this just proves how practical effects will always be superior to CGI. As it was already a 10/10 i will give it an extra 2 points for the new transfer . 12/10
Old 24th January 2018, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Was talking to my brother-in-law about this earlier, he was saying that he wants to get it on blu ray because his dvd copy looks crap now, so I said to get the Arrow one, looks fantastic
keirarts, trebor8273 and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th January 2018, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Was talking to my brother-in-law about this earlier, he was saying that he wants to get it on blu ray because his dvd copy looks crap now, so I said to get the Arrow one, looks fantastic
It does and unlike the old blu you can actually see it snowing now .

The transfer is that good in really can't see a UHD 4k release looking much better if they ever do one.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It does and unlike the old blu you can actually see it snowing now .

The transfer is that good in really can't see a UHD 4k release looking much better if they ever do one.

Yeah, I was happy with the old UK blu until I watched Arrows, I’m only keeping it for the extras
keirarts and J Harker like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th January 2018, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I was happy with the old UK blu until I watched Arrows, I’m only keeping it for the extras
Likewise. I was adamant the original Universal blu was more than adequate. I caved and bought Arrows which is truly one of the best transfers they've released.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2018, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Likewise. I was adamant the original Universal blu was more than adequate. I caved and bought Arrows which is truly one of the best transfers they've released.
Is The Thing dual format?
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2018, 11:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ach, I watched some film ... James Caan stealing diamonds ... it's nae The Keep. It's beginning to sink in ... I may be some time ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th January 2018, 11:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DERANGED – Morbid grindhouse relic is still unsurpassed for sickly atmosphere. This is the tale of lonely necrophile Roberts Blossom and his habit of messing around with his mother’s corpse. It’s set in fifties rural Midwest America - what else was there to do back then? Despite being outdone in the notoriety stakes by ‘TCM’ and ‘Psycho’, both also inspired by the exploits of Ed Gein, ‘Deranged’ is creepier than either - something about those shots of old women's corpses lolling about in their front room always stays with me. Blossom's performance is a real tightrope act between simplicity and psychopathy, and is great. I always forget, it's kind of a black comedy until the end.

SQUIRM – An electrical storm makes a bunch of worms go crazy in small-town America in yet another morbid grindhouse relic. ‘Squirm’ is quite a lot of fun, although its problem is that it saves the good stuff till last. The final half hour, made somehow gothic by the heavy use of candlelight, is pretty mental, with huge masses of flesh eating worms pouring through windows and out of doorways whilst some murderous dude runs around with a face full of ‘em. Prior to then, it’s all build-up that does manage to sustain a degree of intrigue and mounting tension, but you’re thinking “where are the worms?” Or, I was. Not Jeff Leiberman’s best flick, but pretty cool and a perennial re-watch round chez Teardrop.

MOTHER! – To some extent dissed on its release, ‘Mother!’ comes across like a mash-up of Bunuellian home invasion and Polanskian sinister pregnancy before blowing its wad on a free-form apocalypse under a single roof and becoming a metaphor for the world situation. Or something. I really liked it – when is mainstream cinema this daring? Not very often. Arguably, the first hour is stronger, with Ed Harris and Michelle Pfieffer bringing simmering dynamics and bad vibes into J Lawrence’s fragile household, although the mad idea of having a societal melt-down take place in someone’s kitchen takes some beating, as do some surprisingly brutal scenes involving the fate of Lawrence’s young one. Definitely a recommend.

DOGS – Enjoyable seventies nonsense with David McCallum as some kind of scientist who’s worried that dogs might be getting together to bite the hand that feeds them (i.e humanity itself!) It’s all got something to do with that nuclear reactor they’re running tests on, apparently. ‘Dogs’ doesn’t really work as an effective ‘nature runs riot’ flick, but it does have its good points. The pace is there, so it doesn’t flag or get boring. There are some stand out scenes, like the doggy shower attack. McCallum looks and sounds like someone who should be nicked for peddling soft drugs down the boozer in an episode of ‘The Sweeney’. There’s also the fact that any movie that tries to convince its audience that roughly ten domesticated animals of unthreatening demeanour can ravage the entire population of a small town has to be a bit crazy. In fact, ‘Dogs’ doesn’t even try that hard, which lends an air of unintentional surrealism to the proceedings. Entertaining.
Old 25th January 2018, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Commuter (2018)

A serviceable Liam Neeson action vehicle, as he leads a star supporting cast (although, the awesome Sam Neill is wasted here) in a thriller with a good amount of mystery, suspense and tension, and there's some solid action set-pieces. While not as good as other actioners Neeson has made after the success of Taken made him an iconic hero of the genre - Unknown, Non-Stop, and Run All Night, it’s definitely worth a watch. It’s certainly much better than the two shitty Taken sequels.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!