Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Valerian and the city of a thousand planets, very bright and confusing. Was hoping for Fifth Element style camp but this is just bad!
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Valerian and the city of a thousand planets, very bright and confusing. Was hoping for Fifth Element style camp but this is just bad!
I enjoyed it but it could of been a lot better if the two leads had any sort of charisma.
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Was expecting a horror but what I got was hugely enjoyable who done it.

After the murder of the owner of Waxwork museum (John Carradine) , the police are sent to investigate. who could the murder be his business partner ( Ray Millard) , the deformed assistant ,his niece and her guardian or could Jack the ripper be back?

We also have a little twist at the end with the reveal of the killer. 7.5/10
Old 3rd February 2018, 11:18 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It's February 2nd and that means.

10/10
I also watched Groundhog Day yesterday (the first time in four years) and absolutely loved it. It's a beautifully constructed film with the right amount of comedy and pathos to engage the viewer in Phil's emotional rollercoaster. It's probably fair to say that Andie McDowell has never been better and Bill Murray is perfect for the main role.

I was slightly sceptical about the point of the Ultra HD release – it's not exactly a film which relies on amazing visuals and an all-encompassing soundstage – but the level of detail is extraordinary and some of the music has an extra presence which was absent on the standard Blu-ray.
Old 3rd February 2018, 11:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I enjoyed it but it could of been a lot better if the two leads had any sort of charisma.
I quite liked Dale DeHaan as Harry Osborn, but he's definitely not a charismatic action hero, and Cara Delevingne didn't appear to make the same leap from modelling to acting that Milla Jovovich accomplished. It does say something when the most impressive and memorable performance was from Rihanna.

The film is visually stunning, but emotionally empty.
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:24 PM
Cultist in Training

Just rewatched Bangkok Knockout, first 10 minutes basically sets the film up then for the remainder it is literally non stop martial arts action. Got to say i love this film and if anyone is a fan of martial arts and have not seen this, it's well worth a watch. No fancy screenwriting or plot twists or anything, just good ol' fashioned martial arts fighting (seems to me to be more Tony Jaa than Bruce Lee style), and lots of it.
Old 3rd February 2018, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A martial arts master goes to China with his pupil who releases a demon which follows them back to New York and makes its home in the subway system, was expecting demon face eating and kung Fu fighting, but the film spent more time with two gangs fighting each other, than seeing the demon. With all the jive talking etc I kept excepting to see Huggy Bear at some point. 5.5/10

Now watching Revenge of the Blood Beast both of these are on Amazon video.
Old 3rd February 2018, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Backtrack. A young woman (Jodie Foster) witnesses a Mob killing and elects to go on the run when she decides the police can't protect her. A hit-man (Dennis Hopper) is sent to eliminate her but no one predicted the hired killer falling for the very woman he's supposed to kill... This oddball 1990 thriller has a fantastic cast (Joe Pesci, John Turturro, Dean Stockwell, Charlie Sheen and even Vincent Price!) and, although it doesn't quite work (the relationship between Foster and Hopper never really convinces, and Hopper is a bit miscast to be honest), it's still pretty watchable and entertaining throughout, and Jodie is fricking smokin' in it.
Old 4th February 2018, 04:37 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Split (2016)

A brilliantly structured film, featuring an astounding central performance.

**** out of *****

The Monster Squad (1987)

A cult classic gem.

**** out of *****

Hellraiser: Judgment (2018)

It features some surprisingly effective imagery, but it's just a pastiche of cool concepts with a plot that makes little sense, minimal characterisation, and zero exposition. It's another nail in the coffin for this terminally ill franchise, which is now best left alone, unless they're going to give it a big budget cinematic reboot.

I've been meaning to give Deader another try, and I think I'll do that soon.

** out of *****

RoboCop 3 (1993)

Franchise killer.

** out of *****

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

A cult classic slasher that is one of the best of the sub-genre.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 4th February 2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 4th February 2018, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post

Hellraiser: Judgment (2018)

It features some surprisingly effective imagery, but it's just a pastiche of cool concepts with a plot that makes little sense, minimal characterisation, and zero exposition. It's another nail in the coffin for this terminally ill franchise, which is now best left alone, unless they're going to give it a big budget cinematic reboot.

I've been meaning to give Deader another try, and I think I'll do that soon.

** out of *****

I watched this last night and enjoyed it, I personally think it’s the best one since Bloodline.
The opening prologue had me looking away from the screen, and not because of the gore either!

Yes it does have its faults, but I thought the character of the Auditor was great and Paul Taylor did a decent job filling the huge boots of Doug Bradley

FYI: the US blu is a little over £11 from WOWHD

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/hellraiser-ju...t/031398283416
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!