All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2018, 10:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched this last night and enjoyed it, I personally think it’s the best one since Bloodline.
The opening prologue had me looking away from the screen, and not because of the gore either!

Yes it does have its faults, but I thought the character of the Auditor was great and Paul Taylor did a decent job filling the huge boots of Doug Bradley

FYI: the US blu is a little over £11 from WOWHD

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/hellraiser-ju...t/031398283416
where did you see it?
Old 4th February 2018, 10:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
where did you see it?

At home

Just kidding, a friend got his copy early from Amazon.com and lent me it while I wait for mine to arrive from WOWHD. I do believe that it can be found online with a bit of digging though
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th February 2018, 11:10 AM
Cult Addict

Torso

More Sergio Martino. Here a group of Art students are terrorised by a mask killer. The students head out to a remote villa in an attempt to escape the killers violence however he follows them there and the killings continue.
Somewhat different from other Martino Giallo's this one is more a proto slasher film. It has some of the trappings of the Giallo including the psycho-sexual motivations of the killer that are based in childhood trauma. However there is no real financial or personal motivations for the killer beyond his psychosis. The film becomes something of a bodycount movie as it progresses and its hard not to imagine this film having some level of influence on the slasher sub genre that would kick off a few years later. There's some genuine nastiness to the film and some genuinely atmospheric sequences including the killer stalking a victim in a swamp that's incredibly atmospheric.

Case of the scorpions tail

More Martino, from 1971 so two years earlier than Torso. Lisa is a young woman who comes into a small fortune from an insurance payout after her husband is killed in an airline disaster. With some suspicion over the incident an investigator is assigned to look into the case. The investigator, played by George Hilton gets drawn into the case more after Lisa is suddenly killed.
More of a traditional Gialli, with a clear financial motive behind the killings and plenty of twists including the killing of the central character a third of the way into the film, taken from Hitchcock's Psycho. As usual Hilton is solid leading man material, the locations in London and Greece are great. The score is not the most memorable however completely servicable and the climax is great. Hopefully this one will be getting a HD upgrade sooner or later.

Big Alligator River

Dug this out while looking for Case of the Scorpions Tail. This one's not a giallo obviously. Its an adventure film with plenty of nods to the cannibal genre. Claudio Cassinelli plays the Gruff adventurer. Barbara Bach plays the plucky female adventurer. Mel Ferrer plays a resort owner who has pissed off the local natives and angered their god, a Giant Gator that decides to chow down on the white interlopers.
Written by George Eastman, Big Alligator river is a lot of fun with a memorable monster. There's some animal cruelty at play but its not as frequent or as blatant as some of the cannibal films that were getting churned out at the time and overall the film has enough charm to be worth a look.
Old 4th February 2018, 12:56 PM
Cultist in Training

Wife was out last night so took advantage.

Rawhead Rex - First saw this when it appeared in the video shop, my friends and i thought we were the kiddies as didn't need to get one of our older brothers to rent it like we did with Nightmare on Elm Street. It starts with a farmer releasing a demon while clearing his field who goes on a bit of a killing spree. It was actually a lot better than i remember and got pretty atmospheric at times. The acting is not going to win any oscars and the demon just looks like a giant animated phallic symbol to me but it never took the enjoyment out of the film. If you enjoy simple horror films would say it is worth a watch. It is one i will definitely be watching again and will have a look around to see if an uncut version exists anywhere. A solid 7/10 from me for the nostalgia and being a lot better than i was anticipating.

Ong Bak - My nephew lent this to me when it first came out saying he was 'returning the favour' for the Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris films i used to lend him and let him watch when he was younger. In a nutshell the head of a sacred statue has been stolen from a village by some gangsters so the only person from the village capable of retrieving it goes to the city to get it back. It doesn't sound like much of a plot and it does not need to be as the action speaks for itself. Tony Jaa is amazing in this and the fight scenes still blow me away, and there are plenty of them scattered throughout this film. I'd give this an 8/10 and will be keeping an eye out for more of Tony Jaa's work although the bar has been set pretty high with this one.

Splatter - In one word, No
Came across this this on Netflix when was going to watch some Rick & Morty before retiring for the evening and thought i would give it a watch as it's only half hour long. A has been 'rock star' shoots himself and comes back to get revenge on those who caused him to do what he done when he was alive. Awful acting, didn't really care for the characters, even the 'victim' was a bit of a tool so didn't really care about what had happened. It's only saving grace (apart from its 29 minute running time) was some of the deaths were pretty amusing but it was nothing that has not been done in plenty of other, much better slasher flicks. It could be one to watch after the pub if you don't think you have the stamina to sit through a 2 hour film. 3/10

Ong Bak has me craving more martial arts action so may have to watch Chocolate this afternoon.
Old 4th February 2018, 01:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice work Heisenberg. Thank you.

Same goes to the legendary Keirarts.
Old 4th February 2018, 02:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

WTF did i watch!

Barbara Steele and baby faced Ian Ogilvy play a young married couple who for some reason goto Transylvania and meet a perverted inn keeper who comes of as some fat Sid James and the worst member of the Van Helsing family, not long after meeting these kooks, Steele is possessed by a witch and runs around the countryside murdering people like some demented Grotbags.

not the least big scary and plays out like a very poor carry on movie with lots a Benny Hill style running around and we have a car chase thats right out of the keystone cops!

words can't describe just how bonkers and bizarre this film is, hard to believe this is the same director that gave us Witchfinder General!

6/10 just for how completely bonkers the whole thing is.
Old 4th February 2018, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Village of the Damned (1960)

Excellent British production of John Wyndham's classic sci-fi novel. A strong cast including George Sanders, Laurence Naismith and a radiant Barbara Shelley feature as the village of Midwich is somehow isolated by an invisible shield as all life suddenly drops to the floor be it humans, cats, dogs, cows etc. This all happens during the opening ten minutes and it's impact is extremely chilling and drags the viewer kicking and screaming into the story. Speaking of screaming the makers of The Earth Dies Screaming (1964) were obviously influenced by this film as the scenes of the eerie dead village were almost identical.

It's only when everyone comes to that it becomes apparent that a select few women, including Shelley, have become pregnant with fetuses growing abnormally quickly. The film leaves it's horror and sci-fi behind it briefly here as the women are all castigated by other residents for infidelity until their offspring are born - beautiful blond children whose eyes glow white.

The children quickly grow and develop powers such as mind reading and the ability to control both people and objects and it's here the sci-fi horror really emerges.

As a first time viewing i thought Village of the Damned was superb. It's only 74 minutes in length and wastes not a second as sci-fi turns into a dark unrelenting portrait of evil with townsfolk set on fire for example as they attempt to confront the hell spawn.

Superb, i highly recommend this if you haven't seen it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg village_of_damned_poster_02.jpg (97.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 4th February 2018, 03:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

WTF did i watch!

Barbara Steele and baby faced Ian Ogilvy play a young married couple who for some reason goto Transylvania and meet a perverted inn keeper who comes of as some fat Sid James and the worst member of the Van Helsing family, not long after meeting these kooks, Steele is possessed by a witch and runs around the countryside murdering people like some demented Grotbags.

not the least big scary and plays out like a very poor carry on movie with lots a Benny Hill style running around and we have a car chase thats right out of the keystone cops!

words can't describe just how bonkers and bizarre this film is, hard to believe this is the same director that gave us Witchfinder General!

6/10 just for how completely bonkers the whole thing is.
It's a micro budgeted film. Barbara Steele was there for one day so Michael Reeves worked her to the bone getting as much footage as possible. For all it's flaws , mainly as a result of having no money, I like the film. The DVD from dark sky has a fascinating commentary. The Raro blu ray release looks stunning but loses the commentary.
Old 4th February 2018, 03:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
It's a micro budgeted film. Barbara Steele was there for one day so Michael Reeves worked her to the bone getting as much footage as possible. For all it's flaws , mainly as a result of having no money, I like the film. The DVD from dark sky has a fascinating commentary. The Raro blu ray release looks stunning but loses the commentary.
My review might not make it seem so but I did enjoy ,because of how bonkers it is, its like Reeves couldn't decide what type of film he wanted to make. The transfer I saw on Amazon video like nice and was HD so might be the Raro transfer.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th February 2018, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching lots of discs from the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, still very funny, the best cartoons I have ever seen . & they explain my sense of humour, lol! Stuff like Duck Amuck which has Daffy Duck talking to the audience & his animator are beyond what a cartoon should have been at the time, pure gold! Watching with my 3 year old son, who can now do a great Road Runner impression!

These things are like nostalgia comfort food, remind me of my childhood, along with Hammer and Universal movies.
Anyone else a big Looney Tunes fan.....and as a side note, can anyone confirm if the region1 Animaniacs dvds are in fact region free as many claim?

Like this? Share it using the links below!