Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

42ndStreetFreak 18th April 2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 75021)
Definitely worth a look.

Damn right.

gag 18th April 2010 05:07 PM

Just fin watching one of the best british piece of film making
Truly fantastic film in a borstal
One and only SCUM , def a gr8 eg of good old british film making at the best.
Watched this film time and time again and never tire of it ...
Just a fine example of how they just dont quite make films like this these days
No big names (well most of them wernt at the time, but its a who"s who now)
No special effects no big bugdet etc etc, thats what wrong with a lot of films these days they relie to much off all the above and forget the raw gritiness story line etc etc def a film that stands proud and imo totaly flawless and how film making should be,

Basketcase 18th April 2010 08:20 PM

Just finished watching Necromentia not a great film in terms of story or acting but the special effects on the monsters were very impressive indeed. All in all the movie is pretty much just hellraiser worship but definately worth checking out if you have a spare 1hr 30 mins.

mbv 18th April 2010 08:55 PM

Eventually got around to watching Profondo Rosso. Loved every minute of it. Music was fantastic(officially now my favourite Argento soundtrack) and added to the suspense and overall creepiness of some scenes.
Loved some of the humour in it too, the scenes in the car were hilarious.
All this and beautifully shot and loads of nasty violence.

Only problem with this is the pq(R2 Dario argento collection). Anyone recommend the best known version of this??

The Outsider 18th April 2010 09:18 PM

Got to enjoy "Kick Ass" Friday afternoon. Keep reading how 'over the top' the Hit Girl character is. Most mainstream critics must not have watched too many Asian movies. I'd never read the comic book or even heard of it until seeing the first trailers. Now I have to order the HB collection.

Thought it was funny as all get out & enjoyed Nicholas Cage 'channeling' Adam West's vocal delivery while talking to his little honey bunny. :) Big time fun.

About the only things I can do anymore involve sitting down due to my health so am grateful my son takes the old man out for some fresh air & a movie at least once a week. He's off Thursday so hopefully we will check out a double feature of "Kick Ass" again along with "Death at a Funeral" in those super comfy seats at The Rave. Still felt a bit all right Friday night so watched the DVD of "Ed Wood" again. Golly, during this stage of Depp's career he would have made a perfect Desi Arnaz in a Lucy biopic.

Been sick the past few days but did indulge another of my loves this afternoon: 'B' Westerns by watching Tom Mix in "Destry Rides Again" (1932 & nothing like the James Stewart version) & comparing the old VHS bootleg of a Johnny Mack Brown/Tex Ritter Universal Western "Deep in the Heart of Texas" with the beautiful print I recorded from Encore Westerns & hoping they will be showing many more. Fun experience actually seeing the image instead of a multi-generation dupe transfered from a 16 mm print.
I'm weird...
Been mentally kicking myself in the rear for not being physically able to attend the 24 hr. SF marathon in Columbus this weekend. Just can't take the travel.
Trying to get an urge to pop in a horror movie but after suffering through "The Black Waters of Echo's Pond" at The Rave the week before might be a while.
Hang in there! From the Wilds of SW Ohio, Dan :D

antmumford 18th April 2010 10:23 PM

Nice bit of writing there. I suggest you set up a diary page on here too,

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th April 2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 75068)
Eventually got around to watching Profondo Rosso. Loved every minute of it. Music was fantastic(officially now my favourite Argento soundtrack) and added to the suspense and overall creepiness of some scenes.
Loved some of the humour in it too, the scenes in the car were hilarious.
All this and beautifully shot and loads of nasty violence.

Only problem with this is the pq(R2 Dario argento collection). Anyone recommend the best known version of this??

The AWE version is the best I've come across, but I'm sure Blue Underground will inevitably release a Blu-Ray version. I haven't seen the BU DVD, but I've heard that it is good quality too. :nod:

Gojirosan 19th April 2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 75085)
I haven't seen the BU DVD, but I've heard that it is good quality too. :nod:

It is, very.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 19th April 2010 10:23 AM

Watched a truly awful film last night, Mamma Mia. Heave. It just seemed like they just stuck a load of ABBA songs together and tied them (loosely) together with an unbelievably thin plot. I was watching it with a housemate, just laughing at how bad it was, so I guess it was enjoyable in that sense.

vincenzo 19th April 2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 75090)
Watched a truly awful film last night, Mamma Mia. Heave.

For dat you must sleep wid da fishes. :hat: