Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

JoshuaKaitlyn 3rd December 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 298270)
Second film of the day: The Public Enemy or the film in which James Cagney shoves a grapefruit in Joan Blondell's face... This is one of the great Warner gangster films, perhaps the archetypal Warner gangster film with Cagney playing one of Cinema's earliest psychopaths, a tough punk who grows up fast on the mean streets of Chicago to become a major racketeer during the Prohibition era. Made in 1931, just slipping out before the studios became ringfenced by the Production Code, The Public Enemy still impresses with its violence, and Cagney puts the booth in with considerable relish. Directed with style and a palpable sense of realism by William Wellman, the finale in which Cagney performs a hit on a rival boss during a driving rainstorm has rarely been bettered. Highly recommended.

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic...ic-Enemy_l.jpg

Great movie! Love that scene in the image. If I remember correctly she didnt know Cagney was going to do that. The look on her face is classic!:lol:

fuzzymctiger 3rd December 2012 10:57 PM

Oldboy - Wow, what an amazing movie. Well made, using an almost un believable concept (I still struggle with the idea of someone being locked up for 15 years), and great acting an actors, the plot twist reminded on Obsession a lot, and

HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD

by the end, Im not sure if it was just me, but I became more sympathetic for Mr Park, as even though incest is a horrible creepy thing, his life was absolutely ruined by Oh Dea-su's rumors, to the point where he killed his sister. Even though he's a psychopath, in the end, it's not Oh Dea-su getting his vengence for being locked up, is Mr Park getting his vengence against Oh Dea-su, and in the end, essentially he wins. I still found the begging at the end a tad ridiculous, including the cutting of the tongue.

Overall, an amazing movie, and I'm currently watching Sympathy For Lady Vengeance, and I think I'll get the Canadian blu ray trilogy, as it has all the special features, is only about $31, has the best audio avalible for Oldboy and both versions of Lady Vengeance.

Boondocks Saints- Looking at Rotten Tomatoes gives you all you need to know about this movie. 17% with Critics, 93% with users, and 7.8 on IMDB. Stupid violent fun, with an enjoyable cast and Dialouge, being very ridiculous, but still a hell of a lot of fun. Wasn't quite sure about the cat bit though. Nice seeing Norman Reedus after seeing him so much in Walking Dead.

Susan Foreman 4th December 2012 11:52 AM

This morning, I went from the sublime:

Cinema Paradiso - Directors Cut

Everything I hate about a film. It's an Oscar winning romance, lasting almost 3 hours, and in Bongo-Bongo language, BUT...it's a very good film, and I will hate this viewing forever, because I will never have the pleasure of watching this film for the first time again

to the ridiculous:

The Black Cat, by Fulci. Boring, and with a 'cor Blimey, Dick Van Dyke-type Mary Pappins copper in it!

gag 4th December 2012 01:18 PM

Sacrifice usual film about drugs,
Thought the film was slow dull boring, and some of the lesser actors where rubbish, As for Christian slater as a priest he really just didn't suit the part at all, hes a great actor but his roll was terrible and really unconvincing as a priest,

Gojirosan 4th December 2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 298433)
and in Bongo-Bongo language

Really? Is it OK to say things like that again then?

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 298466)

I don't know the term.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th December 2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.

Delirium 4th December 2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 298099)
I didn't know The Woman was a sequel. I have it but never watched it as of yet. I did think Pollyanna Mcintosh in Offspring looked like she does on the cover of The Woman though. :lol:

You really don't have to see 'Offspring' to appreciate 'The Woman' as it's an independent story. 'The Woman' being a survivor from a bunch of cannibals that attack a family in the previous film.

I personally thought 'Offspring' was crap. And the cannibals looked like rejects from Stig of the Dump and just as silly (and a bit like a TV movie in its look, style and sanitized violence). 'The Woman', however, was excellent, but then Lucky McKee is a great director.

As for the books, there's a prequel to Offspring which they had plans to make at one point, called 'Off Season'. I've read all three of the Jack Ketchum cannibal books and 'Off Season' is my favourite. He's an amazing author. I also recommend 'Red' (the film is ok, the book much better) and the book of 'The Girl Next Door' (the film is not bad, but not a patch on the novel). 'The Lost' was quite a good adaptation IMO and a great book.

Rik 4th December 2012 04:23 PM

Checked out the final film from my Universal Monsters Coffin set today-The Wolfman, another stunning looking film like the rest in the set and obviously an extremely enjoyable film to boot.
While I was watching it I got a knock on the door from Mr Postman carrying my ZFE steelbook in a box far too big for one item! So after I watched Lon Chaney and a young looking Randolph Duke, I popped in what will now be the last time I ever need to buy this film in HD because Arrows release completely blows the BU one clean outta the water! The picture looks magnificent and I found myself noticing stuff I hadn't seen during one of my many watches of this film over the last 20 odd years, that's not to say that the BU edition isn't good, because it certainly is, this is just better.
I haven't checked out all the extras yet, but the ones I have watched (the Romero to Rome doc, the De Rossi doc and the Q & A from Glasgow) are all excellent, I especially loved the De Rossi doc.
Highly recommended 5/5

sawyer6 4th December 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 298479)
Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.

It depends,what did she mean?

Rik 4th December 2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's racist if thats what you mean

Bongo language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Susan Foreman 4th December 2012 05:35 PM

Hey - if it's OK for Price Philip, it's OK for me!

demonknight 4th December 2012 05:37 PM

Tried to watch 976-evil and Jack Frost 2 but didn't get very far. Terrible stuff. But I did watch and get through Stand by me and 1978's Dawn of the dead. Both excellent. Hope to watch a load of dvd's and blurays over the Christmas period.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2012 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
December 3rd

Intruder (1989)

So, so slasher film about a killer offing a bunch of folks trapped in a supermarket overnight. Whilst the film has some great fun gore effects it also has many dreary scenes especially during the first forty minutes where almost nothing happens. Although we get to know the characters a bit before they are murdered in every way possible, the characterization is actually quite poor and none of the protagonists come across as interesting.

The kills are the highlight of this film particular the band saw one, and the effects decent.

With the names involved with the production of this film - Lawrence Bender, Scott Spiegel, Sam Raimi et al, i would have hoped for something a little better.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and only I have the Key (1972)

Very good giallo with a great cast - Edwige Fenech, Ivan Rassimov and the lovely Anita Strindberg ensure this Sergio Martino film delivers the goods in terms of intrigue, sex and violence. Based heavily on Poe's The Black Cat, Your Vice... is a very entertaining film. Its delightfully acted with Strindberg nearing breakdown status as the film progresses, culminating in her stabbing her pet cat in the eye with a pair of scissors and the cat haunting her throughout the rest of the film.

For fans of Fenech who haven't seen the film, she doesn't turn up until the forty minute mark, however despite her delayed entry she doesn't disappoint and displays her obvious talents for all to see.

Twists and turns keep the viewer interested throughout with no one getting through the film in one piece.

Highly recommended.

JoshuaKaitlyn 4th December 2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rocketship XM (1950) or XM* the * is explained on the poster for the movie as standing for eXpedition Moon. They never actually get to the moon and are diverted to Mars where after traipsing across the Martian landscape, (cleverly tinted red in this B&W movie), wearing oxygen masks which make then look like they were auditioning for the part of Bane 63 years too early! They soon discover the ruined remenants of a Martian civilization and realise that that old chestnut so unfairly blamed for every mutant insect, awakened dinosaur and natural disaster of 1950's Hollywood, atomic bombs, is to blame! Not a bad movie apart from the clever use of tinting really a product of its sci-fi cold war age.

Attachment 92955
'You have my permission to die!'

Wes 4th December 2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 298560)
Rocketship XM (1950) or XM*...Not a bad movie apart from the clever use of tinting really a product of its sci-fi cold war age.

Sounds good Josh, I love vintage sci-fi movies, and the tinting you mentioned reminded me of The Day the Earth Caught Fire, from 1961, which cleverly depicts the Earth's rapidly rising temperature by way of some sepia tinting. Directed by the great journeyman Val Guest, it's a stylish, intelligent film, if you haven't seen the it, it's well worth catching...

http://www.shadowlocked.com/images/s...aught_Fire.jpg

Buboven 4th December 2012 07:04 PM

I watched the original The Haunting from 1963 couple of night ago. Decent film. Pretty impressive scare scenes that relatively creeped me out, considering its age. Surprised at the kinetic nature of the camera angles during these scenes which added to the creepy atmosphere. Reminded me of Raimi's approach in Evil Dead. Overall a 8/10.

Wes 4th December 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 298588)
I watched the original The Haunting from 1963 couple of night ago...

A great choice, and I had the very same film in mind over the w/end when a caught a screening of Amityville II. I've resisted grabbing the DVD and catching the film on TCM, hopefully a Warners Blu is close. I think Robert Wise is one of great master film makers of the studio era...

Mojo 4th December 2012 07:20 PM

Christmas Evil

Wasn't sure what to expect from this, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was. In no way your usual slasher pic, this is something a little different. And what a truly fab ending! Make this one part of your Christmas viewing.

The House With Laughing Windows

Another original take on the Giallo, this has a great creepy atmosphere throughout and loads of characters who may not be all they seem... Nice print from Shameless and a great movie too. Now, Shameless, how about Zeder?

JoshuaKaitlyn 4th December 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 298574)
Sounds good Josh, I love vintage sci-fi movies, and the tinting you mentioned reminded me of The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Gonna see that right now :)

Slippery Jack 4th December 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 298574)
Sounds good Josh, I love vintage sci-fi movies, and the tinting you mentioned reminded me of The Day the Earth Caught Fire, from 1961, which cleverly depicts the Earth's rapidly rising temperature by way of some sepia tinting.

Been meaning to watch that for years since I saw it featured on the Stuart Maconie narrated Cinema Show (I think it was called?) for BBC4 - a great run of themed episodes in that series. A shame they never made more . . .

Gojirosan 4th December 2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 298541)
Hey - if it's OK for Price Philip, it's OK for me!

OK, but just so you know I don't come on here to see childish and nasty xenophobic remarks, just as others don't want pictures of naked women confronting them in the picture thread.

mercury 4th December 2012 08:48 PM

Rock of Ages...Not bad but I didn't realise it was an actual musical and not just a film about rock:doh: Tom Cruise played his part well I thought.

Choose

The Dark Knight Rises....Great film. Not sure if I liked the ending or not yet.

keirarts 4th December 2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 298598)
Christmas Evil

Wasn't sure what to expect from this, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was. In no way your usual slasher pic, this is something a little different. And what a truly fab ending! Make this one part of your Christmas viewing.

The House With Laughing Windows

Another original take on the Giallo, this has a great creepy atmosphere throughout and loads of characters who may not be all they seem... Nice print from Shameless and a great movie too. Now, Shameless, how about Zeder?

I agree! I :censored:love ZEDER!

JoshuaKaitlyn 4th December 2012 10:50 PM

Possible Spoilers!

1 Attachment(s)
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) The end of the world is nigh! :eek: You'll recognise some of the extreme weather patterns in this movie to those of today! Rain, fog, drought and so on. In this movie they are less natural events and more man made. A number of simultaneous atomic, (again!), explosions knock the Earth off its axis and sends it spiralling towards the sun. A jaded journalist begins to piece together the story with the aid of a Met office secretary as the authourities begin to ration the water and the worlds governments come up with a plan to save us all. Like Rocketship XM eleven years earlier, the clever use of a red tint is used in an otherwise B&W movie but this time to give the impression of extreme heat. An intelligent sci-fi movie which dosen't rely on special effects but rather on characterization and some great dialogue scenes.

Attachment 93068

pedromonkey 4th December 2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 298670)
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) The end of the world is nigh! :eek: You'll recognise some of the extreme weather patterns in this movie to those of today! Rain, fog, drought and so on. In this movie they are less natural events and more man made. A number of simultaneous atomic, (again!), explosions knock the Earth off its axis and sends it spiralling towards the sun. A jaded journalist begins to piece together the story the story with the aid of a Met office secretary as the authourities begin to ration the water and the worlds governments come up with a plan to save us all. Like Rocketship XM eleven years earlier, the clever use of a red tint is used in an otherwise B&W movie but this time to give the impression of extreme heat. An intelligent sci-fi movie which dosen't rely on special effects but rather on characterization and some great dialogue scenes.

Attachment 93068

The Dialogue scenes are incredible, the back and fourth between Edward Judd and Janet Munro is so well written.

fuzzymctiger 5th December 2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 298670)
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) The end of the world is nigh! :eek: You'll recognise some of the extreme weather patterns in this movie to those of today! Rain, fog, drought and so on. In this movie they are less natural events and more man made. A number of simultaneous atomic, (again!), explosions knock the Earth off its axis and sends it spiralling towards the sun. A jaded journalist begins to piece together the story with the aid of a Met office secretary as the authourities begin to ration the water and the worlds governments come up with a plan to save us all. Like Rocketship XM eleven years earlier, the clever use of a red tint is used in an otherwise B&W movie but this time to give the impression of extreme heat. An intelligent sci-fi movie which dosen't rely on special effects but rather on characterization and some great dialogue scenes.

Attachment 93068

Really want to watch this after looking it up a bit.

Gojirosan 5th December 2012 03:25 AM

Dark Water - 2002 Japan d: Hideo Nakata

After my bad run of crappy films lately I thought it was best I revisit one I knew was good rather than take another risk! And as I found the remake of this in a charity shop the other week I thought I would remind myself of the original.

It's a fine film, a modern ghost story that reminds me of the classics in tone and execution. This sits more comfortably with The Haunting and The Innocents than does Ring, say. Indeed, great as Hideo Nakata's now iconic Ring is, this for me is his better film.

The story is wonderful, imagery enveloping and, key, the acting sublime. Hitomi Kuroki and Rio Kanno are vital to the success of this film and come up with the goods in spades. Rio Kanno especially delivers one of the best child performances I have seen in any film. Add to this the great sets and locations and you have a creepy yet beautiful experience that lingers in the memory and pays rewatching.

Flaws? Well only one strikes me with this film - the dreadful music. Sensibly, music isn't allowed to interfere with the proceedings much, but when it does it is a lush, sentimental orchestral affair at odds with the visual storytelling and it rather jars, sadly.

A film at the pinnacle of that lauded phase of Japanese genre film, I fear for the remake's ability to move me when I get around to checking it!

keirarts 5th December 2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 298683)
Dark Water - 2002 Japan d: Hideo Nakata

After my bad run of crappy films lately I thought it was best I revisit one I knew was good rather than take another risk! And as I found the remake of this in a charity shop the other week I thought I would remind myself of the original.

It's a fine film, a modern ghost story that reminds me of the classics in tone and execution. This sits more comfortably with The Haunting and The Innocents than does Ring, say. Indeed, great as Hideo Nakata's now iconic Ring is, this for me is his better film.

The story is wonderful, imagery enveloping and, key, the acting sublime. Hitomi Kuroki and Rio Kanno are vital to the success of this film and come up with the goods in spades. Rio Kanno especially delivers one of the best child performances I have seen in any film. Add to this the great sets and locations and you have a creepy yet beautiful experience that lingers in the memory and pays rewatching.

Flaws? Well only one strikes me with this film - the dreadful music. Sensibly, music isn't allowed to interfere with the proceedings much, but when it does it is a lush, sentimental orchestral affair at odds with the visual storytelling and it rather jars, sadly.

A film at the pinnacle of that lauded phase of Japanese genre film, I fear for the remake's ability to move me when I get around to checking it!

Don't get your hopes up, the remake is definately inferior. It misses out one key sequence from the origional entirely and simply isn't scary. Its not as bad as the ring remake which mangled everything good about the origional, (Sadako's emergence from the tv being the key example) but its definately a lesser film.

fuzzymctiger 5th December 2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 298689)
Don't get your hopes up, the remake is definately inferior. It misses out one key sequence from the origional entirely and simply isn't scary. Its not as bad as the ring remake which mangled everything good about the origional, (Sadako's emergence from the tv being the key example) but its definately a lesser film.

The whole mind reader thing with the original ring just didn't sit well with me, plus the cinematography and better atmosphere made the remake a lot better in my opinion. I list it as one of the rare cases where the remake is better than the original.

Wes 5th December 2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 298700)
The whole mind reader thing with the original ring just didn't sit well with me, plus the cinematography and better atmosphere made the remake a lot better in my opinion. I list it as one of the rare cases where the remake is better than the original.

I'd pretty much agree with that, and further add that I never liked any of the Ring films, and I usually love Japanese Cinema. For a while these Asian Horror films were coming out in their droves - films like Pulse, Dark Water, Grudge, Phone, The Eye, One Missed Call, Cursed, Infection, the list seems endless... I did like the Three Extremes collections, but the penny has yet to drop on A Tale of Two Sisters...

darthelvis 5th December 2012 07:48 AM

Seven Psychopaths - Saw a preview of this last night and it was fantastic! This film is a great follow up to In Bruges and is light years better. Great script, great cast and a career high from Walken! You have to go and see it.

Frankie Teardrop 5th December 2012 10:28 AM

GHOST STORIES FROM THE BBC - The one with 'The Signalman' etc. I thought this was great. For some reason I always think UK TV from the 70s has a really haunting quality about it anyway. The three stories included in this volume differ in approach, but all share a similar desolate and enigmatic vibe. 'The Signalman' projects a feeling of claustrophobia and isolation, in part due to its setting, a railway tunnel at the bottom of a wintery ravine. Loved the creepy synth drone soundtrack which somehow worked in the context of a 19th century Dickens adaption. And the eyeless ghost was wonderful. 'Stigma' was possibly the high point of the set for me - contemporary setting, really spare in its unfolding, very bleak vibe. The unseen ghost of a witch subjects a woman to a darkly menstrual fate. Again, great soundtrack which somehow captures the chilly awe induced by just the sight of ancient stones. Very disturbing, despite the presence of Peter Bowls.
'The Ice House' came in a close second. Enigmatic and cryptic to the point of bafflement, this one had my mind reeling for a while afterwards, despite the obviousness of the main theme. A lonely psychiatrist visits a health spa run by a mysterious and slightly incestuous sibling pair. There's a sinister ice house. But what does it all mean? Put me in mind of a strange three way hybrid of JG Ballard, Ian McEwan and M R James. When I was very young I saw a repeat of this on TV one christmas, and I remember being transfixed by the creepy frozen man in the ice house. Watching it now, the whole piece was equally fascinating and unnerving.

BLACK PAST - Olaf Ittenbach's first feature, shot on video in the late eighties. It's a weird blend of partial boredom and extreme gore. I say 'partial' boredom as, during the uneventful bits, the awfulness of early SOV aesthetics at least lends a wonky charm to the proceedings, as do the eighties elements ie. mullets unsurrounded by quotation marks. The storyline is nothing original, with a possessed mirror inspiring violent dreams in a teen who lives in a house with a 'black past'. Culminates in slimy demonic transformation, just because. When it hits, the gore is pretty relentless. I wish my former teenaged gore-hound self had seen this twenty years ago - I feel a bit past this kind of stuff these days, but there's an undeniable energy at work. And I keep returning to Ittenbach's movies without really knowing why, because probably they're not all that good, but there's just a certain quality (possibly Ittenbach's straight faced approach to absurd material) which makes me like all his stuff apart from 'Premutos'.

Demoncrat 5th December 2012 10:36 AM

Kill List. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Can only echo certain sentiments expressed about this film. Was enjoying its "grittish" quality....but the ending felt like it belonged to an another film imo. Did I miss some subtlety inherent in the script? Don't think so, at least it wasn't Darklands cough cough.;)

PaulD 5th December 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 298760)
Kill List. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Can only echo certain sentiments expressed about this film. Was enjoying its "grittish" quality....but the ending felt like it belonged to an another film imo. Did I miss some subtlety inherent in the script? Don't think so, at least it wasn't Darklands cough cough.;)

That was my thought on it. I must give it another go and see if the shift doesn't seem as abrupt on a second viewing. I kinda felt like I missed some clues in it

Demoncrat 5th December 2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 298756)
GHOST STORIES FROM THE BBC - The one with 'The Signalman' etc. I thought this was great. For some reason I always think UK TV from the 70s has a really haunting quality about it anyway. The three stories included in this volume differ in approach, but all share a similar desolate and enigmatic vibe. 'The Signalman' projects a feeling of claustrophobia and isolation, in part due to its setting, a railway tunnel at the bottom of a wintery ravine. Loved the creepy synth drone soundtrack which somehow worked in the context of a 19th century Dickens adaption. And the eyeless ghost was wonderful. 'Stigma' was possibly the high point of the set for me - contemporary setting, really spare in its unfolding, very bleak vibe. The unseen ghost of a witch subjects a woman to a darkly menstrual fate. Again, great soundtrack which somehow captures the chilly awe induced by just the sight of ancient stones. Very disturbing, despite the presence of Peter Bowls.
'The Ice House' came in a close second. Enigmatic and cryptic to the point of bafflement, this one had my mind reeling for a while afterwards, despite the obviousness of the main theme. A lonely psychiatrist visits a health spa run by a mysterious and slightly incestuous sibling pair. There's a sinister ice house. But what does it all mean? Put me in mind of a strange three way hybrid of JG Ballard, Ian McEwan and M R James. When I was very young I saw a repeat of this on TV one christmas, and I remember being transfixed by the creepy frozen man in the ice house. Watching it now, the whole piece was equally fascinating and unnerving.

BLACK PAST - Olaf Ittenbach's first feature, shot on video in the late eighties. It's a weird blend of partial boredom and extreme gore. I say 'partial' boredom as, during the uneventful bits, the awfulness of early SOV aesthetics at least lends a wonky charm to the proceedings, as do the eighties elements ie. mullets unsurrounded by quotation marks. The storyline is nothing original, with a possessed mirror inspiring violent dreams in a teen who lives in a house with a 'black past'. Culminates in slimy demonic transformation, just because. When it hits, the gore is pretty relentless. I wish my former teenaged gore-hound self had seen this twenty years ago - I feel a bit past this kind of stuff these days, but there's an undeniable energy at work. And I keep returning to Ittenbach's movies without really knowing why, because probably they're not all that good, but there's just a certain quality (possibly Ittenbach's straight faced approach to absurd material) which makes me like all his stuff apart from 'Premutos'.

Re: "The Ice House". Always felt this was the inspiration for "A Figure Walks" by The Fall myself.....;)

Demoncrat 5th December 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 298762)
That was my thought on it. I must give it another go and see if the shift doesn't seem as abrupt on a second viewing. I kinda felt like I missed some clues in it

Maybe. I just felt that if that was his intention, that side could have been fleshed out slightly more. don't get me wrong, I'm all for ambiguity in a film, but this just jarred. Due to the back-and-forth about KL on here, I was waiting for this "shift" and it just felt too tacked on imo. The bit with the hammer though....:eek:;)

Frankie Teardrop 5th December 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 298763)
Re: "The Ice House". Always felt this was the inspiration for "A Figure Walks" by The Fall myself.....;)

One of my fave 'songs' by MES et al. 'Dragnet' could've been by the M R James punk house band with 'Spectre vs Rector' etc.

PaulD 5th December 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 298768)
Maybe. I just felt that if that was his intention, that side could have been fleshed out slightly more. don't get me wrong, I'm all for ambiguity in a film, but this just jarred. Due to the back-and-forth about KL on here, I was waiting for this "shift" and it just felt too tacked on imo. The bit with the hammer though....:eek:;)

It was the all-pervading sense of tension and dread in the household scenes that really had me on edge

Wes 5th December 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 298756)
GHOST STORIES FROM THE BBC - The one with 'The Signalman' etc. I thought this was great...

Fantastic stuff Frankie, and I would go out this minute and pick up the set on the strength of your post, but I have shot my load so to speak on purchases for this year - I've been spending like a maniac for the last few weeks... But great to have these films available again, the previous OOP BFI issues were unspeakably expensive...