Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2018, 03:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Four of the Apocalypse (1975)

Four petty criminals (including gambler Fabio Testi and whore Lynne Frederick) travel the Utah plains in search of food and their next 'job' until they are hounded by a Mexican bandit who rapes Frederick. Testi vows to get revenge.

Lucio Fulci's western was one of those films i'd watched once, forgotten about and never returned to until last night prompted by Keirarts saying it was a great spaghetti western and one of Fulci's best.

Well for the second time i found this to be neither a great spaghetti western nor one of Fulci's best. It is in fact a great sprawling affair which at times seems to aimlessly ramble on. Tomas Milian, as the bandit, basically plays the same loon as he does in many of his poliziotteschi as Testi does his Mr. Cool act. A film which features lots of idle wanderings, even more idle chatter and random shooting of ducks...in the Utah desert.

Almost instantly forgettable, i'm struggling to type anything just a few hours later so i'll leave it there with a footnote saying that the last spaghetti western i watched was The Great Silence (1968) - this doesn't come close.
I humbly disagree with everything you wrote, aside from the great silence !
Old 14th February 2018, 03:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Here's the review

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
It's post number 44314

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 15th February 2018, 03:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)

Following on from the previous evenings disappointing Four of the Apocalypse, my mini Lucio Fulci fest continues with this rather fine giallo.

A woman (Florinda Balkan) is accused of murdering her sexy neighbour (Anita Strindberg) after dreaming of lesbian sex and murder with her. Was she set up, or did she really do it?

The plot whilst apparently seeming quite complex is fairly straightforward. Weird and wonderful to begin with like some sort of fever dream, Fulci drags the viewer in with steamy scenes of sex and the brutal murder of Strindberg showing Balkan knife her through the breast in uncomfortable close up. Things then calm down as characters are introduced and the giallo aspects ramped up. Fulci's cast is excellent. Possibly his best in any film. As well as Bolkan and Strindberg we have British stars Stanley Baker and Leo Genn and French legend Jean Sorel. (Whilst mentioning the stars it was interesting to note that the soundtrack though dubbed used Baker and Genn's real voices so that was the one i listened to.)

A Lizard in a Womans Skin is an excellent film. Sleazy, bloody, suspenseful, controversial -Those dogs - eeurgh!, with fine London location work and also brilliantly performed with a story that didn't fall prey to typical giallo cliche and stereotypes and is a world apart from Fulci's later low budget work.

I had forgotten the film by title as it had been a number of years since i last watched it but as soon as it began it all came flooding back. - Fantastic stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liz11.jpg (69.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th February 2018, 05:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kidulthood 2006

A day of London teeneagers off from school following a suicide of a pupil. the teens dabble in underage drinking, smoking, sex and drugs, then to a party that ends in disaster.

From Noel Clarke, actor and screenwriter of this film, comes this decent British film that seems to portray true teenage life of sex, drinking, drugs, pregnency and gun life.

The film has that realistic feel as the actors who portray the teens have lead a life of crime or seen it for real and dwell into their roles perfectly. The film does have some tense and disturbing moments to it, even though the film is certifacated as 15, it must have scraped by thinly.

This is my first time seeing this movie as it was judged as being very stereotyped with teen in hoodies and baseball caps with their own cockney slang and looking towards having a life of crime and survive housing estates, this is a movie worth watching, 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (33.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th February 2018, 05:35 PM
Cult Addict

Never seen this but thought i'd say there's apparently two sequels if you're interested.
Adulthood and Brotherhood.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Never seen this but thought i'd say there's apparently two sequels if you're interested.
I've seen all three and thought they where all decent and worth watching and owning if bought at a reasonably price.
Old 15th February 2018, 06:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
At the moment im watching Adulthood
gag and keirarts like this.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of terrorists kidnap the presidents daughter and only one man can rescue her Hack Stone who just happens to have been friends with the terrorist leader. He is also aided in his quest by police captain Stills( Cameron Mitchell) it's a little slow too beging with and Frank Stallone is no Sylvester, we have one of the slowest police chases I have seen, but it's shortcomings are made up by Mitchell's character who's is hoot and a joy to watch. 6.5/10 (when Mitchell's on screen add 2 points)

Viewings for tonight.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Opens with a master ninja being killed and his sword being stolen , with his dying breath the master tells his pupil that if the sword is used to kill the other ninja masters the user will become invincible and the only way stop the sword is to find the man in a photo.

Watching this you think it's really two films in one, with have the ninja story which is nice and silly but most of the film is taking up by the young man in the photos , extremely dull and boring life which has nothing to do with the ninja story. Now let's taking about the ninja not only do they wear ninja outfits they have bandanas with the words ninja on just incase you don't know the are ninja 2/10 for the awful dull story of the man. 6.5/10 for what little there is of the ninja story.

Let's hope angel of death is better.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:32 PM
Cult Addict

I read up on some of these ninja films at one point because i was trying to figure out where the soundbites in this tune came from and pinpoint a film.

With references to the ninjas Tony, Gordon and Ringo (?) and suchlike i thought it sounded pretty entertaining.
Still didn't figure out what it was, may be a mix of many films.

Apparently there was a whole shitload of films made by the same company to cash in on the ninja craze at the time.
Some of them were existing films (drama and the like) that were interspersed with new ninja footage.
Sounds like this may be the case with what you watched.

In the end i decided watching the video to the tune was probably more interesting to sitting through the films and a lot less time consuming/ brain melting.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!