Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2018, 08:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

My dad sometimes calls me Toto because my middle name is Salvatore (named after my Sicilian granddad)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th February 2018, 10:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Quiet Earth (1985, Geoffrey Hughes)
Post apocalyptic pondering from Down Under. At first it's all Matheson ... then we get the Adam & Eve bit, which morphs into No Exit at the end. I love it. When 'Project Flashlight' goes a bit askew, a lone scientist sets out to find some answers ... with surprising results.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th February 2018, 12:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Raven (1963, Roger Corman)

Price, Lorre, Karloff, Court (and a pubescent Nicholson ). Need I say more??
Okay then. Relate would have a field day here, as mourning magician Price falls for the rather labrythine machinations ( phew, must lie down ) of fellow sorcerer Karloff. My vhs looks somewhat faded now ... which does add something to the tale.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 28th February 2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 28th February 2018, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Raven (1935)

A surgeon (Bela Lugosi) with an infatuation for Poe, saves the life of a beautiful young woman. On realising she'll never give in to his rather dubious charms old Bela enlists the help of a brutal criminal (Boris Karloff) who he turns into a hideous creation and only vows to turn him back if he kidnaps the woman so she can be his 'Lenore'.

As with the previous years The Black Cat, The Raven is a sadistic film. Karloff looks terrifying after Lugosi's surgery with one eye practically popping out. There are many classic Poe influences in the film namely the pendulum torture device, the film boasting several memorable scenes throughout. Karloff is at his pitiful, tortured soul best and Lugosi... well he's always Lugosi isn't he. Whilst not as good as The Black Cat, this is still a fine film and a great horrific showcase for two legends of horror cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cm0LshrUcAAtFsw.jpg (101.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 28th February 2018, 02:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Can I go for the echo gag??

Sadly my 35 Raven "went walkies" a while back. Ho hum. Great film nonetheless.

[B]
Old 28th February 2018, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Can I go for the echo gag??

Sadly my 35 Raven "went walkies" a while back. Ho hum. Great film nonetheless.
I laughed when i saw your post as i was about to add mine.

Ended up watching Wind Chill last night by the way. A superior ghost story with a lot of snow and Emily Blunt who made things even colder.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Black Panther (2018)

**** out of *****

The Shape of Water (2017)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 28th February 2018, 04:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inconceivable (2017)
Nanny film. Cage film. He's nae the nanny (that would have been betterer ). Is it ever a good idea to hire a complete stranger to look after your offspring?? Not as out there as The Guardian ... though it comes close at points

[B]
Old 28th February 2018, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Day Of The Dead: Bloodline (2017)
It must be the curse of films with this sub title ... liked the opening, but dearie me this is just witless.

Daddys Home Two 2017)
That's how it's written, don't blame me. If you do not care for the Ferrell then this will be worse than Mordum to sit through . Mawkish sappy garbage though some may chuckle at Rockatansky overplaying his 'image' for laughs .... I thought it was pond scum. Back to the sleaze and gore methinks!!!

[B]
Old 1st March 2018, 05:47 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Daddys Home Two 2017)
That's how it's written, don't blame me. If you do not care for the Ferrell then this will be worse than Mordum to sit through . Mawkish sappy garbage though some may chuckle at Rockatansky overplaying his 'image' for laughs .... I thought it was pond scum. Back to the sleaze and gore methinks!!!
The first was mediocre, so I'm not surprised this is terrible. It's a shame because I think Ferrell and Marky Mark make for a great comic double act - The Other Guys is comedy gold.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!