Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299372)
But that's just kinda my problem, Music in the current argument is Animation.
By that logic, Dubstep is the musical equivelant of Cartoons, while Prog Rock could be considered the musical equivelant Anime. There two seprate genre's IMHO, though there to broad to be considered meagre genre's.

It doesn't matter if its prog, trance, rn'b, its all still music.

WinterMillennium 6th December 2012 06:01 PM

I use music and horror because I know nothing about anime :lol: to me they're reasonable equivalents, but you might disagree.

I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one... you can find huge differences in view across most categorisations no matter how micro you go. there are as many people that will tell you that Japanese and Italian horror are completely different as there are people that will tell you that Fulci and Argento are completely different, as there are will tell you that Argento's early and later efforts are completely different, as there are will tell you that Fulci's giallo and zombie films are completely different, it all tends to go a bit circular when people start arguing their own views over someone else's

I'm off for a lie down, my brain hurts

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299377)
Fair doess, but I know many who would no consider The Haunting to not be Horror (ie, induces a feeling of horror) and is instead a supernatural thriller (ie, spooky but not overtly horrific). This make's it a completely different kettle of fish but is once again subjective, like the rest of the argument. We could argue about this until the end of time, there is NO deffinitive deffinition.

Actually The Haunting is horror.

Zombie Holocaust would be classed as terror. :p

Gojirosan 6th December 2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299377)
Fair doess, but I know many who would no consider The Haunting to not be Horror (ie, induces a feeling of horror) and is instead a supernatural thriller (ie, spooky but not overtly horrific). This make's it a completely different kettle of fish but is once again subjective, like the rest of the argument. We could argue about this until the end of time, there is NO deffinitive deffinition.

Well then replace The Haunting with any high quality horror film - Suspiria or The Wicker Man or Repulsion or whatever. My point remains.

And there is a definitive definition. It is in the dictionary. That is why there are dictionaries.

Nordicdusk 6th December 2012 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to be a party pooper but

Attachment 93181

Watched this classic again last night. The more i watch this film the more i fall in love with it. Casablanca from start to finish is a masterpiece and has entered my short list of perfect films.

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 299381)
Well then replace The Haunting with any high quality horror film - Suspiria or The Wicker Man or Repulsion or whatever. My point remains.

Your not seeing my point, if you are I don't think your conveying it very well.
Some people wont consider The Haunting horror because it's not horrific, it doesn't induce terror in the masses. The Wicker Man can also be placed in said catagory, Supernatural Thriller. Suspiria does contain seen's of horrific act's though very stylishly executed. There are deffinit differences and it's all down to personal opinion.

VicDakin 6th December 2012 06:11 PM

Here's looking at you, kid
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 299383)
Sorry to be a party pooper but

Attachment 93181

Watched this classic again last night. The more i watch this film the more i fall in love with it. Casablanca from start to finish is a masterpiece and has entered my short list of perfect films.

Here's looking at you, kid

Here's looking at you, kid - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv8MGYnP820

Gojirosan 6th December 2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299384)
Your not seeing my point, if you are I don't think your conveying it very well.
Some people wont consider The Haunting horror because it's not horrific, it doesn't induce terror in the masses. The Wicker Man can also be placed in said catagory, Supernatural Thriller. Suspiria does contain seen's of horrific act's though very stylishly executed. There are deffinit differences and it's all down to personal opinion.

So what?

Horror may be open to debate and affected by personal view. But the definition of "cartoon" is concrete and unquestionable.

A cartoon is not a vague genre term, it is a word describing how something is executed: an animated motion picture.

You sidetracking into the nature of "horror" is irrelevant to the point.

Cartoon is not like horror. I used horror as I thought it was a simple example of how differing artistic quality doesn't change the nature of things.

Seriously, just look up cartoon. The definition of its various meanings are there to be seen freely by all.

Anime films are cartoons. That's not open to interpretation, it is an empirical fact. It cannot be denied or argued.

And thus, there is no more to say.

Nordicdusk 6th December 2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 299386)

:cry:

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 06:21 PM

No, now this is where i'm getting exhasperated NOTHING is concrete is classification, as a Biologist I know this all to bloody well! Style's of film making shift and change, so to must the vast back catalogue of movie's made over the last 100+ years.

VicDakin 6th December 2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 299391)
:cry:

sorry norcs didn't mean to make you blub,still at least he didn't push a grapefruit in her face.:pound:

Nordicdusk 6th December 2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 299393)
sorry norcs didn't mean to make you blub,still at least he didn't push a grapefruit in her face.:pound:

When my father says were you crying your eyes are very red ill say no im on drugs. Atleast he,ll just think im a fool and not less of a man :lol:

VicDakin 6th December 2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 299394)
When my father says were you crying your eyes are very red ill say no im on drugs. Atleast he,ll just think im a fool and not less of a man :lol:

good idea,THe Elephant Man gets me every time,I just tell people ive poked myself in the eyeballs.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 299395)
good idea,THe Elephant Man gets me every time,I just tell people ive poked myself in the eyeballs.

I suffer from really bad hayfever and dust allergies so people are always asking me if I've been crying.

VicDakin 6th December 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 299411)
I suffer from really bad hayfever and dust allergies so people are always asking me if I've been crying.

yeah but the truth is you've been watching Sophies Choice :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 299413)
yeah but the truth is you've been watching Sophies Choice :lol:

You swore you wouldn't tell!!

VicDakin 6th December 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 299414)
You swore you wouldn't tell!!

meh easy come easy go,how much not to tell them about your Bette Midler collection :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 299418)
meh easy come easy go,how much not to tell them about your Bette Midler collection :lol:

I'm not paying anything now you've exposed my love of Ms. Midler! :tongue1:

VicDakin 6th December 2012 07:02 PM

Is it true that when your having a bette midler movie marathon its just you and a box of mansize tissues.

Susan Foreman 6th December 2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 299394)
When my father says were you crying your eyes are very red ill say no im on drugs. Atleast he,ll just think im a fool and not less of a man :lol:

Remember kids - drugs are naughty. Keep away from them, and stay in school, OK?

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 07:28 PM

In more relevent new's I watched The Amazing Spiderman again today on BD. It's really so much better than the Raimi trilogy, though there are quality's that are inferior. The transfer from 3D to 2D for eaxmple, is rather poor. Spidermans still an extremily unlikable character though, gotta love Andrew Garfiled as Peter Parker despite this.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 299425)
Is it true that when your having a bette midler movie marathon its just you and a box of mansize tissues.

That would be telling...

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2012 07:47 PM

Possible Spoilers
 
Jeremiah Johnson (1972) It is the 1830's and a jaded soldier leaves the U.S. Army to become a mountain man in the Rockies. His inexperiance, at first, gets the better of him until he meets up with Bear Claw, another mountain man who teaches the greenhorn the things he needs to know in order to survive. Pretty soon he is befriended by the local Indians and along the way picks up a family of his own and begins to settle down. However once settled a troop of cavalry turn up asking Johnson for help in reaching a group of would be settlers who are in need of help themselves. Johnson agrees to take them but the shortest path leads through an Indian burial ground. After warning the troop about the possible dangers of trespassing upon the holy ground he reluctantly agrees to take them through it, most people would have told them to do one and bogged off back home but not our Jeremiah! He lead them through it without a problem and they reach the stranded settlers. (Although after warning the soldiers about trespassing he inexplicably decides to return home alone that same way!:crazy:. The Indians who had earlier befreinded him know what he has done and now turn against him and slaughter his family and attempt to chase him down.

I originally saw this in high school and it made such an impression on me that I swore once school was done I was emigrating to Canada to build myself a log cabin, trap beaver, eat possum and skin deer.............It didnt happen! :mmph:

VicDakin 6th December 2012 08:02 PM

From Hell
 
1 Attachment(s)
From Hell

Watched From Hell aka Carry On Jack The Ripper again,a rip roaring Victorian comedy complete with funny accents and slapstick ahoy,only thing missing was Charles Hawtrey propositioning a group of foreign sailors and a chas and Dave soundtrack,not to be missed,but drink plenty of gin first.

SShaw 6th December 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299384)
Your not seeing my point, if you are I don't think your conveying it very well.
Some people wont consider The Haunting horror because it's not horrific, it doesn't induce terror in the masses. The Wicker Man can also be placed in said catagory, Supernatural Thriller. Suspiria does contain seen's of horrific act's though very stylishly executed. There are deffinit differences and it's all down to personal opinion.

Oxford English Dictionary: Cartoon: a film using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects

Humans and Cows are both mammals. But I am sure you would accept there is a world of difference between them (with the possible exception of my ex-girlfriend)

I understand your point that most Japanese animation is very different from most Western animation but that does not change the fact that both are cartoons using the commonly accepted definition of the word.

Does the fact that most Bollywood films are fundamentally different from Hollywood films change the fact that both are films? No, not if we use the common definition of film.

Its not a question of ganging up on poor Hawky, more a problem that your own definition of Cartoon is not the commonly accepted definition and your insistence on using a different meaning for this word has the potential to cause confusion and misunderstanding.

Can we agree that you disagree with everybody else in the world and get the thread back on topic?

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 08:15 PM

Human: Ape
Cow: Artidactyla

I believe it was Alan Bennett who once said something about the Oxford dictionery being the most compacted list of linear deffinitions in history. Don't always believe what you read is what i'm trying to say, just because there is one deffinition in one source does not make it deffinitive.

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2012 08:45 PM

:shocked::lol: All I said was I couldnt see myself watching Animie as I thought it was a little to 'Pokemon'. Really has polarised the forum hasn't it?

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 299474)
:shocked::lol: All I said was I couldnt see myself watching Animie as I thought it was a little to 'Pokemon'. Really has polarised the forum hasn't it?

No, its just Hawkmonger. :nod:

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 299475)
No, its just Hawkmonger. :nod:

Seriously, I can't tell if i'm head way's or crotch way's anymore!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
December 5th.

Nightmare Man (2006)

Cheap as chips, low budget, slasher film starring the always lovely Tiffany Shepis. For a digitally filmed piece the director, Rolfe Kanesky has managed to create a film with quite a nice atmosphere, enhanced by a lovely creepy score. The film concerns a woman who claims she is being attacked by the Nightmare Man, a creature which may or may not have come from an African fertility mask. After one such attack she seeks help from a group of young people at a cottage in the forest. From here on things get worse for the group as the Nightmare Man comes calling.

Although the story sounds simple, it has some neat twists and turns where everything is not quite as it seems. The film is reasonably well acted and characters on the whole, believable. Whilst having some nice gore effects the film relies more on atmosphere for its scares especially during the first half. The films final denouenment i actually found quite tough going. A little like the tree attack in Evil Dead but more graphic.

The Tournament (2009)

Top notch action thriller set in Middlesbrough of all places. Every seven years in an unsuspecting city somewhere in the world the top thirty assasins in the world gather for a tournament to see who survives and claims the $10m first prize in a battle to the death in the streets. Robert Carlyle, Ving Rhames and Kelly Hu head the cast of this highly enjoyable kill fest. Limbs fly bullets richochet and the bodycount explodes. We have running battles in the streets, not to mention strip clubs. Some of the action set pieces are very creative and allow the movie to stand out from the crowd.

Fans of Shoot em' Up, and maybe Death Race should get off on this one.

Without spoiling this for people i will say this is very highly recommended and one of the best straight to video films i've seen in a long time

Invid Ninja 6th December 2012 08:53 PM

Quite frankly, this argument is going round in circles with no clear end. I've already shared my two cents either way. I just enjoy animation period, again couldn't care less where it's from so long as it's quality filmmaking. Granted I personally lean more towards Japanese animation but there is no need or even tangible reason to seperate them from other forms of animation from the West or otherwise.

Can we consider this case closed?

Susan Foreman 6th December 2012 09:18 PM

I watched 'The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' this morning

Macho cr*p, but entertaining roles for Sonny Chiba and (uncredited) Vin Diesel

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th December 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 299487)
I watched 'The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' this morning

Macho cr*p, but entertaining roles for Sonny Chiba and (uncredited) Vin Diesel

I really liked Tokyo Drift. Wish they would set a new F&F film after this, so they could bring back Lucas Black.

Invid Ninja 6th December 2012 09:27 PM

Went to my uni's sci-fi society for their screening of Logan's Run. A personal favourite for me, but for the hipsters of my generation who make up the majority of sci-fi enthusiasts at these clubs now not so much. :(

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 299495)
Went to my uni's sci-fi society for their screening of Logan's Run. A personal favourite for me, but for the hipsters of my generation who make up the majority of sci-fi enthusiasts at these clubs now not so much. :(

What happened? Was it overly loud? I hate idiot's who talk in a cinema, mumbling I can handle, whispering I allow, mouthing I tolerate but talking in a cinema? I wish I had control of the electric chair when ever that happens.:mmph:

Invid Ninja 6th December 2012 10:02 PM

Pretty much all of the above, bear in mind this was a small uni room. I mean the society is meant for casual movie watching mind, but this was pretty much either questioning everything that happens claiming 'it makes no sense' or constantly pointing out the obvious whenever a dated special effect comes up. The usual.

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 299503)
Pretty much all of the above, bear in mind this was a small uni room. I mean the society is meant for casual movie watching mind, but this was pretty much either questioning everything that happens claiming 'it makes no sense' or constantly pointing out the obvious whenever a dated special effect comes up. The usual.

God I HATE it when people judge a movie by it's age. I showed my GF a clip from Citizen Kane once and she said she couldn't watch it as it was in black and white! :crazy:

Nordicdusk 6th December 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299504)
God I HATE it when people judge a movie by it's age. I showed my GF a clip from Citizen Kane once and she said she couldn't watch it as it was in black and white! :crazy:

DUMP HER DUMP HER NNNNOOOOWWWWWW :tongue1:


:lol:

Hawkmonger 6th December 2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 299510)
DUMP HER DUMP HER NNNNOOOOWWWWWW :tongue1:


:lol:

Nah, the pro's out way the con's. ;)

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299504)
God I HATE it when people judge a movie by it's age. I showed my GF a clip from Citizen Kane once and she said she couldn't watch it as it was in black and white! :crazy:

You think thats bad! My teenage kids insist my Shameless collection is porn! And they wouldn't even consider watching early / world cinema!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.