Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2018, 01:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed. I meant someone laughing at the rape scenes due to the technique used? I can only imagine as his answer when queried was 'noncommital' to say the least

Ahem. Takes all sorts as I say ...
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th March 2018, 01:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Have you drunk more than the recommended quantity of communion wine, kierarts?
Goddamn predictive text!
Old 4th March 2018, 03:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE BABY – This used to be on TV all the time when I was a kid. I remember always feeling a bit apprehensive about watching it, because it really used to creep me out. Still does, pretty much. ‘The Baby’ tells of a social worker who is concerned about this guy who’s essentially been kidnapped by his own family and forced to live as an infant. He’s an adult, but his identity has been diaper based for the last twenty odd years. Getting him away from the vicious harridans who surround him would be a good idea, but does our seemingly well-meaning county official have even more awful designs of her own? One of those seventies flicks that seems poised between TV movie and psychedelic grime-fest. It’s not very explicit, but the concept itself is unsettling. I like how ‘baby’s voice is (badly) post-dubbed… although this seems a bit muted on the Severin Blu ray I watched. Maybe my imagination, films like this certainly take on an afterglow when you see them at an impressionable age. Still a bleak, bleak sickie after all these years, and very much recommended.

THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN – Shaw Bros rip-off of the mid seventies Kong revival. I’d watch this over the 1976 King Kong remake any day. It’s just a riot from start to finish. I mean, where do you start? Every second scene sees a bad miniature being trashed by a man in a gorilla mask, or finds room for a shitly done back projection. The latter is an endearing device employed a bit too often by TMPM, starkly revealed in all its ill thought-through cheapness by the wonders of HD. I think the hook for me is the hysterical tone… it’s there throughout, even during the less busy ‘jungle’ scenes, but bursts into life when we reach civilisation. TMPM may have lead characters and so forth, but equal weight is given to anonymous crowds running and screaming in the shadow of the towering monster. Who, of course, is never very far from being just a dude in a monkey costume on a badly designed set. One thing that gives me a bit of faith in ploughing through all this stuff is, it’s strange, you can make an objectively shit movie but in some unfathomable way it’s genuinely amazing.

TROLL 2 – Speaking of which, ‘Troll 2’ is considered the holy grail of bad movies by a lot of people, but it’s fair to say it’s actually nowhere near the true bottom of the barrel. It ends up with the ‘lovably awful’ tag slapped on it by those who can’t be bothered to work out why it’s so special. I could accuse myself of the same, because ‘Troll 2’ is pretty special, but I can’t figure it out. It is a very weird film, actually. I was trying to explain its attractions to a friend the other day, and I really found myself floundering… “OK, it’s like a fairy tale, deliberately like a fairy tale, only they get it wrong because then they try to make it seem like they’re making a comedy, but really you’re not sure what the intentions are so maybe it’s not deliberately anything, because… well, it’s directed by Claudio Fragasso so etc etc…” Personally, I just let it wash over me in a haze of kids pissing on the dinner table, awful troll masks, back room sermons where meat is reviled and ridiculous popcorn based sex scenes. There’s the perfect balance of possible knowingness and really obvious dumbness about it to make it always a mystery somehow.

BODY PUZZLE – A late sort-of giallo by Lamberto Bava. It’s about a killer who’s trying to retain the memory of his dead lover by murdering organ recipients for their body parts; a cop gets romantically involved with a woman at the centre of the mystery. ‘Body Puzzle’ feels pretty slickly done. Despite the corny characterisations and bad lines, it has more in common with early nineties American thrillers than late Italo horror, aesthetically anyway. There are some bizarro touches that mark it out as being in more gonzo territory, however – the killer always murdering to classical music, the weirdness of the central concept (which the film doesn’t really live up to), the progressively idiotic twists, set-pieces like the teacher being murdered in front of a classroom of kids who sit around laughing… it all adds up to propel ‘Body Puzzle’ away from the police procedural it sometimes threatens to resemble. In the end, enjoyable nineties schlock.
Old 4th March 2018, 04:00 PM
Cult Addict

Black Sun.
Dramatisation of the Nanking Massacre. It tells the story from the side of the imperial army and of the civilians as inhumane atrocities occur - rape, beheading, firing squad, burnings.
This is unrelenting, when you think it can't get worse it does. I only have one question: was it intended to be exploitative or did it just happen to be that way?
I liked it but I cannot bring my self to rate it.
*also what's with the music on the menu of the tartan release?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 4th March 2018, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Marvel go down the teen movie route but forget to add any smut, rock n' roll, thrills or plot. Tom Holland insipidly squeaks along reminding us how much better Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield actually were in the role. The only points of interest came with cameos from Robert Downey Jr and Jon Favreau. I can't even remember the girl who played Mary Sue - she was that good! Poor old Michael Keaton as villain Vulture and Marisa Tomei as Spidey's aunt were far too good for this waste of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Spider-Man_Homecoming_poster.jpg (33.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th March 2018, 04:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Black Sun.
Dramatisation of the Nanking Massacre. It tells the story from the side of the imperial army and of the civilians as inhumane atrocities occur - rape, beheading, firing squad, burnings.
This is unrelenting, when you think it can't get worse it does. I only have one question: was it intended to be exploitative or did it just happen to be that way?
This is also called 'Men behind the sun 4' so is part of a series of films depicting war time atrocities, i've only seen the first one myself which was pretty rough.

I remember thinking it was well made but was too grim for me to want to watch regularly.

i'm not sure as to the exploitation angle, but i think they must have been conceived as such seeing as the delight they take in showing human destruction, also they were doing the rounds on bootlegs along with the nasties and such when i was young so i think they were aimed at the exploitation market.

By showing wartime atrocities filmmakers can make the point that the horrors of war should not be forgotten, and force us to look at what levels humanity will stoop to, but there are ways of filming scenes in a more discreet emotional way than just throwing body parts at the screen.
Demoncrat, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th March 2018, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict

Well after watching this, I don't know if I want to watch men behind the sun.
The only reason I mention the exploitation angle is because it's the tartan grindhouse release
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th March 2018, 05:24 PM
Cult Addict

Demons of the Mind
A father asks the help of a psychologist, to help rid the evil of his family. His son and daughter are locked in the house and are separated. Meanwhile young women are disappearing.
A rather strange tale with murder and incest. I don't know what to really say if I'm honest, other than I really enjoyed it.
8/10

Old 4th March 2018, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Well after watching this, I don't know if I want to watch men behind the sun.
The only reason I mention the exploitation angle is because it's the tartan grindhouse release
Oooh that's cut as well. You can borrow my Japan Shock 1 anytime

It's nae cut. Postcards as well .... lovely looking package
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th March 2018, 05:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Marvel go down the teen movie route but forget to add any smut, rock n' roll, thrills or plot. Tom Holland insipidly squeaks along reminding us how much better Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield actually were in the role. The only points of interest came with cameos from Robert Downey Jr and Jon Favreau. I can't even remember the girl who played Mary Sue - she was that good! Poor old Michael Keaton as villain Vulture and Marisa Tomei as Spidey's aunt were far too good for this waste of time.
Yeah I wasn't impressed either. Probably the weakest of the MCU films. I would have rather have seen a third film with Garfield.

Like this? Share it using the links below!