Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

fuzzymctiger 6th December 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 299299)
Is Perfect Blue the one that's meant to have been an inspiration on Black Swan?

He actually purchased the remake rights to this so he could use it in Black Swan.

fuzzymctiger 6th December 2012 11:45 PM

Going to put my view in the situation.

IMO, saying not watching anime becaus it is a bit much like Pokemon, and this is just my opinion, is a tad close minded, like saying not watching any western cartoons, because they're too much like Simpsons.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept no matter what form of media, let alone an underage child.

Like someone on here said, anime and cartoons are the same, in the sense that human and cows are both mammals. But I have a rather unorthodox view, where the two are sub categories, of animation. So I'd also put stop motion different from the 2.

Also anime, is the Japanese word for animation, so they'd probably regard Simpsons as an anime, but I'm not sure.

But that's just me.

Gojirosan 7th December 2012 12:13 AM

Cosmopolis - 2012 Canada/France/etc d: David Cronenberg

I approached this with some considerable trepidation after reading of some of your experiences with this film on these forums, and in my inability to imagine the premise in cinematic terms. Luckily I didn't have to imagine things in cinematic terms. I have David Cronenberg.

I found this to be a superb film of power and intelligence. Fascinating in its study of a man detached from reality by money, a man prevented/protected by layers - his car, his security, his wealth - from attaining humanity and warmth. A compelling parade of characters and their failure to predict the unpredictable, to keep track of their own power and vision. People whose world, once unassailable, is now subject to attack and protest.

Technically, the film is flawless. It looks magnificent and precise, the sets are perfect, especially the hermetic hi-tech tomb of the limousine which features heavily through the film, gliding through an aggressive exterior glimpsed through windows and sensed through motion. The acting featured is exquisite and not one performers in parts large or small give anything other than exceptional service to the film.

This is the best film of 2012 for me, surpassing even Moonrise Kingdom and The Hunter in my regard*. The devastating power of Cronenberg's skill is undiminished, and this film convinces me yet further that he is almost certainly the finest director of English language films alive to day.

Just brilliant. I know many of you will disagree. But it was, for me, just brilliant.

*NB I still have to see several important releases of the year, however: Holy Motors, Berberian Sound Studio, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and such. So my favourite of 2012 so far.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 299559)

I approached this with some considerable trepidation after reading of some of your experiences with this film on these forums, and in my inability to imagine the premise in cinematic terms. Luckily I didn't have to imagine things in cinematic terms. I have David Cronenberg.

I found this to be a superb film of power and intelligence. Fascinating in its study of a man detached from reality by money, a man prevented/protected by layers - his car, his security, his wealth - from attaining humanity and warmth. A compelling parade of characters and their failure to predict the unpredictable, to keep track of their own power and vision. People whose world, once unassailable, is now subject to attack and protest.

Technically, the film is flawless. It looks magnificent and precise, the sets are perfect, especially the hermetic hi-tech tomb of the limousine which features heavily through the film, gliding through an aggressive exterior glimpsed through windows and sensed through motion. The acting featured is exquisite and not one performers in parts large or small give anything other than exceptional service to the film.

This is the best film of 2012 for me, surpassing even Moonrise Kingdom and The Hunter in my regard*. The devastating power of Cronenberg's skill is undiminished, and this film convinces me yet further that he is almost certainly the finest director of English language films alive to day.

Just brilliant. I know many of you will disagree. But it was, for me, just brilliant.

*NB I still have to see several important releases of the year, however: Holy Motors, Berberian Sound Studio, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and such. So my favourite of 2012 so far.

I think this is the first positive review for Cosmopolis i've seen on here.

Invid Ninja 7th December 2012 05:06 AM

I'm willing to give it a go since it's Cronenberg, I suppose unlike many who hated it I'm not expecting another Videodrome.

PaulD 7th December 2012 05:59 AM

I didn't hate it I just found it frustrating and unengaging

Hawkmonger 7th December 2012 06:04 AM

Despite initial hesitation (Its got Pattinson in it, smug pasty faced git) I actualy thought he was prity good in Cosmopolis and it wad very entertaining to boot.

keirarts 7th December 2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 299558)
Going to put my view in the situation.

IMO, saying not watching anime becaus it is a bit much like Pokemon, and this is just my opinion, is a tad close minded, like saying not watching any western cartoons, because they're too much like Simpsons.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept no matter what form of media, let alone an underage child.

Like someone on here said, anime and cartoons are the same, in the sense that human and cows are both mammals. But I have a rather unorthodox view, where the two are sub categories, of animation. So I'd also put stop motion different from the 2.

Also anime, is the Japanese word for animation, so they'd probably regard Simpsons as an anime, but I'm not sure.

But that's just me.

I fully agree.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept, but if it can be justified in the contxt of the overall plot then it should be included, otherwise why not dismiss twin peaks fire walk with me! If it was done purely for titilation then it would be truley disgusting and certainly worth decrying, my only point was that in the case of elfen lied it wasnt. If what the writer/director was trying to say was put across poorly, with poor characterisation/writing/direction then that is an entirely different matter, certainly worth critisisng the show for but not decrying it.

But lets end it here, i've made my point, I'm still happy to say I enjoyed elfen lied and i'm also happy to reccomend it to others. I even think the BBFC made the correct decision in awrding it a 15 as their panel is far better equipped to judge these things and they saw the series the same way I did.

keirarts 7th December 2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 299561)
I'm willing to give it a go since it's Cronenberg, I suppose unlike many who hated it I'm not expecting another Videodrome.

Finally watched Cosmopolis myself. I actually liked it as well. It's very cold and detached but for me it suited the character and story.

fuzzymctiger 7th December 2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 299566)
I fully agree.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept, but if it can be justified in the contxt of the overall plot then it should be included, otherwise why not dismiss twin peaks fire walk with me! If it was done purely for titilation then it would be truley disgusting and certainly worth decrying, my only point was that in the case of elfen lied it wasnt. If what the writer/director was trying to say was put across poorly, with poor characterisation/writing/direction then that is an entirely different matter, certainly worth critisisng the show for but not decrying it.

But lets end it here, i've made my point, I'm still happy to say I enjoyed elfen lied and i'm also happy to reccomend it to others. I even think the BBFC made the correct decision in awrding it a 15 as their panel is far better equipped to judge these things and they saw the series the same way I did.

I have to agree with your points there, with Fire Walk With Me being a very clever example, even though Luara was a lot older, and SPOILER her sad was possessed, but a crucial element to the plot.

PaulD 7th December 2012 11:45 AM

Watched Zombie Flesh Eaters this morning. As excellent as ever and definitely in my top 5 zombie films. As everyone has already said Arrow's bluray looks incredible and the fact that it was sourced from the original camera negative alongside the extras makes it the definitive release of this film. Still watching the extras at the minute and so far they're excellent too

Life For Dead 7th December 2012 02:41 PM

Alejandro Jodorowsky ,Holy Blood

Alejandro Jodorowsky Holy Blood, a pretty awesome film is more of an avant garde thriller, it was co-written by Claudio Argento the co producer of Dawn the Dead 1978.

gag 7th December 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 299559)

I just couldnt get into it got extremely bored and then turned it of after 40 min or so

Hawkmonger 7th December 2012 03:32 PM

Well, reading over yesterday's fiesco I feel inclined to apology's to Goji for getting a tad heated an possibly a bit rude and condisending. Can we call it quite's man?:o

Rik 7th December 2012 03:34 PM

Cannibal Holocaust-Shameless BD, I don't think there is anything else that needs saying about this film, we all know it and we all have our opinions on the animal killings. I will say, as I did last year when I first saw this edition, that this looks really good in HD

keirarts 7th December 2012 04:10 PM

Anyone know if studio canal are considering a recall on RASPUTIN. The audio is utter shite, to make matters worse if you listen to the audio commentary track the sound quality is much better during the quiet moments. AS this track is from a previous release its clearly a fault.

Rik 7th December 2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 299760)
Anyone know if studio canal are considering a recall on RASPUTIN. The audio is utter shite, to make matters worse if you listen to the audio commentary track the sound quality is much better during the quiet moments. AS this track is from a previous release its clearly a fault.

I didn't think it was as bad as people were making out, might be because my surround sound set up isn't that great

keirarts 7th December 2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 299761)
I didn't think it was as bad as people were making out, might be because my surround sound set up isn't that great

I was just listening to it in stereo on my telly and it sounded...wrong.

Rik 7th December 2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 299767)
I was just listening to it in stereo on my telly and it sounded...wrong.

Ah right, I might have to give it a rewatch to see

Gojirosan 7th December 2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 299734)
Well, reading over yesterday's fiesco I feel inclined to apology's to Goji for getting a tad heated an possibly a bit rude and condisending. Can we call it quite's man?:o

Don't be silly Hawky McHawkerson! It's only th'internet! Long forgotten, squire!

:)

Susan Foreman 7th December 2012 05:56 PM

I watched a film called 'Exam' this afternoon

What a load of rubbish!

At least it only cost me 75p in a charity shop!

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 299816)

What a load of rubbish!

I liked that one.

Beyond72 7th December 2012 06:01 PM

Westworld - The finale never gets old!

Futureworld - Put off watching it for years due to the bad reviews, not that bad, but still pretty meh in the end.

Untraceable - Perfect example of why I don't watch many modern horror/thriller films.

Graveyard Shift (The 1987 Vampire movie)
...perfect example of how the 80's weren't that great as the decade drew to a close.
Although I'm sure female teenagers at the time may have enjoyed it , if Fright Night was already (rented) out. :tongue1:

pedromonkey 7th December 2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

What a load of rubbish!

is that the one with the people locked in the room and they have to come up with an answer to one question?...if it is, i actually really liked it.

Susan Foreman 7th December 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

What a load of rubbish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 299819)
I liked that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 299824)
is that the one with the people locked in the room and they have to come up with an answer to one question?...if it is, i actually really liked it.

OK - opinions are obviously split over this

I found it laughable and annoying. Parts of it were good - the cutting between a character explaining the rules, and the exam moderator explaining the rules - but on the whole, I thought it was a poor attempt at a thriller

Oh - the fact that the 'main' character reminded me of Danny Dire didn't help much!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

What a load of rubbish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 299819)
I liked that one.

I liked it as well. It's a pretty good thriller well, in my opinion anyway!

Susan Foreman 7th December 2012 08:23 PM

Certainly a future cult film them - some viewers love it, I (at least) didn't!

But that's one of the reasons why we all love films isn't it. As the old saying goes, 'if we all liked the same things, life would be pretty boring'

Handyman Joe 7th December 2012 08:50 PM

Watched my old DVD of Carrie for the first time in about 10 years: some thoughts

Great actresses though Chloe Morentz and Julianne Moore are they will never match Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie, who are just perfect here. Spacek's reptilian look during the prom destruction is one of my all time fav horror images - I wish De Palma hadn't diluted it with the split screen because it is pure dynamite on its own.

Not to say the remake can't score some points - more build up was needed re the development of Carries powers and the house destruction at the end is just silly - what the hell happened?

Boring I know, but HD remaster urgently needed. De Palma puts red in every scene - I bet it was meant to pop and seethe, but not in this gauzy transfer.

Good point from my wife - Tommy Ross in this movie, Tommy in the movie Tommy and Tommy in Trainspotting all look exactly alike. Coincidence, or is the go-to name for a frizzy blond good guy just, Tommy?

re.form 7th December 2012 09:25 PM

Managed to find the time to get a few movies watched:

Rewatched:

Eraserhead (Blu-Ray). It's been many a year since I saw it, but I quickly remembered why this was one of those films I saw at a young age that influenced the type of films I would go on to like/hunt down/get a bit obssessed with. The sound design is something really special and it's a film that at certain points makes me laugh out loud and at other points makes me want to look away. I love the fact that the design on the floor of the apartment building lobby is the same that we see in the Black Lodge in --

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. (Blu-ray) I loved the TV show, and for that reason alone, love this movie. I actually think the first act with Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland is the best bit, it's really funny. While the bar scene does really drag, it gets you in the right frame of mind for the last few minutes, which I think are some of the best horror scenes of the 1990's.

New Views:

The Dark Knight Rises. (Blu-ray). No need for me to say much. It's a fantastic achievement when a movie this long doesn't drag once. I thought Hathaway was brilliant, the set pieces draw dropping, and it rounds everything up before the inevitable re-boot.

SPOILERS

The bit at the very end with a certain someone's name being mentioned I could have done without, to be honest.

The Deadly Spawn (Arrow DVD). I don't know how I've never got round to seeing this, but I think it's wonderful and will fit in nicely with my other fave 80's low budget horror cheapies. The in camera effects are class and the wallpaper on show is horrible. The score was great as well.

re.form 7th December 2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 299820)
Westworld - The finale never gets old!

Futureworld - Put off watching it for years due to the bad reviews, not that bad, but still pretty meh in the end.

I watched Westworld this week as well (recorded off BBC1) and really enjoyed having another look at it. Great fun. I've never seen Futureworld and need to finally get around to it.

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th December 2012 11:05 PM

Possible Spoilers!

The Seventh Sign (1988) A ho hum thriller about the biblical end of the world which is prophesied in the book of Revelations. Both signs and portents mean Gods wrath is about the smite the world this is because there are no more souls left to those who are yet to be born, (Why he cant create a few more isn't explained!). Anyway an angel is trying to help Demi Moores pregnant character break the chain of events, even though he's the one unleashing the signs, and a priest whose actually an immortal Roman is trying to make sure God gets his way! Basically the Omen from Gods point of view! TBH I struggled through it....Way to tired to con cen trate :yawn: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Dont forget the end of the world is nigh: 21st December.....The Mayans said so!

PaulD 7th December 2012 11:09 PM

I also enjoyed Exam :)

Nordicdusk 8th December 2012 12:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 93306

Attachment 93307

Attachment 93308

A great night of films tonight. I was planning on a Batman trilogy night but i had to watch the Expendables 2. It was great to see Stallone, Arnie ,Chuck ,Van Damme ,Lundgren and Willis together. I would of like Jet Li to have more of a part and Van Damme was certainly under used even as the main bad guy i felt i ahould of had more screen time. Saying that i loved it and its great seeing the action heros you grow up with still kicking ass at their age so its a dream come true really.

No point going in to details about Batman i love all three films everything else has been said a million times.

davcol 8th December 2012 03:59 AM

Just watched Your vice is a locked room and only i have the key. Thought it was one of the better giallo type films i have seen with a few dark comedy moments, certainly miles better than All the colours of the dark but not as good as Mrs Wardh.
Also seen Di leo`s To be twenty, (very shocking ending) and Last house on the beach which was a bit of a letdown.

Linbro 8th December 2012 04:43 AM

Stinking hot here today, so after work I closed all the blinds, turned up the aircon and watched 'Kill List'. (Wife and son went to a friends pool for the day - ideal oppurtunity to watch something that I know she wouldn't dig)
Really good film, and I can see a re-watch coming soon. I'm a sucker for an ambiguous film, especially if it's horror.
Wife and I went to see 'Skyfall' earlier this week. Neither of us are Bond fans, but we both had a great time with it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 299876)
Boring I know, but HD remaster urgently needed. De Palma puts red in every scene - I bet it was meant to pop and seethe, but not in this gauzy transfer.

I have the MGM/Twentieth Century Fox American BD and it is a massive upgrade over the SD picture. It's coded to Region A so, if you have a multi region player, it's definitely one to buy.

Nostalgic 8th December 2012 10:57 AM

Have a really bad cold so am (trying) to do a weekend of DVD's. Not doing well as my head/eyes are in constant pain so hard to concentrate, though I have watched the Zombie Flesheaters documentries (From Romero to Rome) and the Ian McCulloch interview. Both great supplements, currently watching the Jones/Thrower commentary on the film. Relly enjoying it!

Am going to attempt Blue Excorcist after this, if I can concentate! Lol!

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 299896)
The Seventh Sign (1988) A ho hum thriller about the biblical end of the world which is prophesied in the book of Revelations. Both signs and portents mean Gods wrath is about the smite the world this is because there are no more souls left to those who are yet to be born, (Why he cant create a few more isn't explained!). Anyway an angel is trying to help Demi Moores pregnant character break the chain of events, even though he's the one unleashing the signs, and a priest whose actually an immortal Roman is trying to make sure God gets his way! Basically the Omen from Gods point of view! TBH I struggled through it....Way to tired to con cen trate :yawn: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Dont forget the end of the world is nigh: 21st December.....The Mayans said so!

I've only seen it once but i remember enjoying The Seventh Sign.

Been meaning to pick up the dvd for years now.

Frankie Teardrop 8th December 2012 01:00 PM

SHEITAN - This was made around the time of that mid-noughties wave of French horror, most of which I really enjoyed. 'Sheitan' is a darkly perverse rural horror, where a bunch of urban street kids are transplanted to the country estate of a girl they meet in a discotheque on christmas eve. There, they find a yokelised and deeply sinister Vincent Cassal, rooms full of broken dolls, a bunch of in-breds and a mysterious plot about the birthing of Satan. A film which is well at ease with its own grubbiness, and features such BBFC baiting scenes (but apparently not, as it has a legit '18' certificate) as a dimwit girl sexing up a dog. The mid section drifts a bit and could've been more focussed and intense, but overall I really liked its twisted, parodic take on familial horror.

SOUTHERN COMFORT - Another sort-of backwoods horror film, the brilliant 'Southern Comfort' shows us in excruciating close up the unravelling of a national guard platoon in the face of (mostly) unseen menace. The soldiers are all completely unlikable and mostly idiotic, but the film is unwaveringly gripping and never lets go of a sense of seething tension present right from the start. Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine, who at times function almost like a chorus, give excellent performances. Their characters' detached cynicism and alienation from the shambles surrounding them provides a hook for the movie's more urbane audience, initially at least - by the end of the film, we see their mindset is pretty basic to the whole problem. This is a great study of paranoia and the isolation of the individual(ist's) psyche, way more sophisticated then something like 'The Thing', even though the the two films share similar atmospheres (and endings, for that matter). A great movie, one which I've just seen for the first time.

Susan Foreman 8th December 2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 300012)
SHEITAN - This was made around the time of that mid-noughties wave of French horror, most of which I really enjoyed. 'Sheitan' is a darkly perverse rural horror, where a bunch of urban street kids are transplanted to the country estate of a girl they meet in a discotheque on christmas eve. There, they find a yokelised and deeply sinister Vincent Cassal, rooms full of broken dolls, a bunch of in-breds and a mysterious plot about the birthing of Satan. A film which is well at ease with its own grubbiness, and features such BBFC baiting scenes (but apparently not, as it has a legit '18' certificate) as a dimwit girl sexing up a dog. The mid section drifts a bit and could've been more focussed and intense, but overall I really liked its twisted, parodic take on familial horror.

The film is also known as 'Satan'