Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2018, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Both are crazed delights. Saw them on the Adam & Joe show and was sold forthwith
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th March 2018, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict

Gringo

Harold Soyinka is a mild mannered and somewhat naive middle manager at a big pharma company. He's slowly drowning in debt because of his wife and he's slowly realising he may soon be losing his job. His bosses Elaine Markinson and Richard Rusk. played by Joel Edgerton and a gleefully nasty Charlize Theron have developed a cannabis pill. While waiting for Cannabis laws in the U.S. to liberalise they've been selling it under the counter to the local cartels. Unwittingly Harold has been acting as a middle man to this and when things begin to fall apart Harold goes off the deep end, faking a kidnapping that soon becomes real and triggering off a set of events that will change his life for ever.
Gringo has a plot that has been described by Critics as 'muddled'. I managed to follow it but its does have its twists and turns. The easiest way to sum it up I suppose is to look back at the sort of films the American indie circuit was turning out in the 90's after Pulp Fiction became a hit. This feels exactly like one of those movies. Though to be fair its more 2 days in the valley than destiny turns on the radio. I liked it. I didn't love it. Its got its fair share of brutality and also plenty of humour. It never felt boring at any point and David Oyelowo as Harold really holds things together. Its an Amazon studios production and didn't get much promotion leading me to think they just wanted it to have a week in theatres to get the critics reviews out there before putting it on Amazon streaming. I don't regret paying £4.99 to see it but it is worth considering it'll be streaming sooner or later.
Old 11th March 2018, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Gringo

Harold Soyinka is a mild mannered and somewhat naive middle manager at a big pharma company. He's slowly drowning in debt because of his wife and he's slowly realising he may soon be losing his job. His bosses Elaine Markinson and Richard Rusk. played by Joel Edgerton and a gleefully nasty Charlize Theron have developed a cannabis pill. While waiting for Cannabis laws in the U.S. to liberalise they've been selling it under the counter to the local cartels. Unwittingly Harold has been acting as a middle man to this and when things begin to fall apart Harold goes off the deep end, faking a kidnapping that soon becomes real and triggering off a set of events that will change his life for ever.
Gringo has a plot that has been described by Critics as 'muddled'. I managed to follow it but its does have its twists and turns. The easiest way to sum it up I suppose is to look back at the sort of films the American indie circuit was turning out in the 90's after Pulp Fiction became a hit. This feels exactly like one of those movies. Though to be fair its more 2 days in the valley than destiny turns on the radio. I liked it. I didn't love it. Its got its fair share of brutality and also plenty of humour. It never felt boring at any point and David Oyelowo as Harold really holds things together. Its an Amazon studios production and didn't get much promotion leading me to think they just wanted it to have a week in theatres to get the critics reviews out there before putting it on Amazon streaming. I don't regret paying £4.99 to see it but it is worth considering it'll be streaming sooner or later.
I honestly thought this got released somewhat middle of last year , I've been with Sam 9months and I'm pretty sure I saw it advertised well before I met her .
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th March 2018, 11:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tokyo gore police .

Seen it before few years back one of those films where its just utter Barmy mental and Bizarre and by time you finished its what the **** have I just watched .
All I can say is the makers must have been on some serious strong pain killers

Entertaining bollocks at its best ..

Can anyone recommend anything else similar \ along those lines please.
Old 12th March 2018, 07:42 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I honestly thought this got released somewhat middle of last year , I've been with Sam 9months and I'm pretty sure I saw it advertised well before I met her .
Checking about it seems to have been released here and the U.S this last week.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Checking about it seems to have been released here and the U.S this last week.
Yes that's true , but I'm 100% sure I saw it advertised way back last year hence why when I saw it advertised when went cinema last week I was a tadge baffled .
Old 12th March 2018, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tokyo gore police .

Seen it before few years back one of those films where its just utter Barmy mental and Bizarre and by time you finished its what the **** have I just watched .
All I can say is the makers must have been on some serious strong pain killers

Entertaining bollocks at its best ..

Can anyone recommend anything else similar \ along those lines please.
The Last Jedi. Your review of TGP sums up my feelings for that particular 'treat'
Seriously ... there's a thing called Parasyte which is more recent but is just as mad ... and Gintama, which is lighter in tone but has the same level of odd.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th March 2018, 06:38 PM
Cult Addict

Dead Space Downfall
A mining colony on a planet discover an alien artifact; prompting interest from a religious cult who come to bring it to earth. However this artifact triggers suicide, murder and worst physical mutations of corpses.
The prequel to Dead Space; its a good animated feature plenty of violence and gore. However if you're not a fan or don't play games then it might not be of interest. I'd still say it's worth checking out though, just out of curiositys sake.
7/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 12th March 2018, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've had that in the house for long enough b. Noted.

[B]
Old 12th March 2018, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoyable if not spectacular supernatural horror, about the typical outsider teenager that takes revenge on those that have bullied and wronged her, this time with the help of a mirror with demonic /psychic powers. 7/10

Gave up after about 30 minutes,might go back to it later.

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th March 2018 at 09:58 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!