Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2018, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This has to be seen to be believed, a ginger moggy escapes from a lab and is found by two sluts who bump into a horny wall street executive (Alex cord) who invites them to his yacht also on the boat is a dangerous mobster(George Kennedy) but thats the least of sluts and there friends worries as the moggie has some sort of mutant/demon thing inside it that emerges from its mouth (that looks like a sock puppet) and goes on a gory killing spree. 5/10
Old 17th March 2018, 11:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quite recently been watching films let's just say a bit weird bizarre or random hence Tokyo gore police and quite recently a few of David Cronenberg films I'm introducing Sam to him she never heard of him till she met me, in all fairness when watching these films a lot of time it amazes me what must go through people minds to come up with such wonderful ideas for these films .
Old 18th March 2018, 12:30 AM
Cult Addict

Which Cronenberg films did you watch?

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th March 2018, 12:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Which Cronenberg films did you watch?
Other week its was Videodrome and tonight on one of the sky channels eXistenZ
I know he writes and directs a lot of his films ,but also aware some he hasn't like Naked much but that's a great weird film as well, I'm pretty sure I've got the book at home but a rerelease and not first edition.
Old 18th March 2018, 01:04 AM
Cult Addict

If you mean 'Naked Lunch' Cronenberg still wrote the film i think and directed, the story is not a faithful adaptation of the novel though, but is instead a mix of some parts and ideas from the book and also parts of the authors life.

'Videodrome' is one of my favourites alongside 'Shivers' and 'Dead ringers', i think 'Existenz' is good and interesting and plays with a lot of the same themes as VD () although not on the same level.

I think most of his early stuff is very personal and prefer this stuff, whereas his later films seem to be him working largely around others work.

Having said that 'Dead zone', 'The Fly' and 'Dead ringers' are all based around others work, but they seem to fit in with his earlier films and themes more easily, in a way like the fly of the film they become assimilated with his unique world view.

I guess this is true also of his later films but they seem less personal to me somehow.

Old 18th March 2018, 01:53 AM
Cult Addict

I ended up watching two films this week that were totally slated on their release, i think there must be something wrong with me as when something is so badly panned i have a perverse desire to watch it.

Ghostbusters

11257299-1254434265707285.jpg

I really didn't mind this, i love the original but have never really enjoyed the second film so to me this was more entertaining than that one.
I thought i would hate the new characters but thought they were o.k with the stand out one being the tech geek who invented the equipment.

The plot basically covers much of the same ground as the original, but not as well done. There are small cameo's from all of the original Ghostbusters, and although it never reaches the heights it could have i nevertheless found it a reasonably entertaining way to spend a bit of time.

6/10

Fantastic 4

91XwBZLEFYL._SY445_.jpg

This was on Ch 4 tonight so i thought why not, i'm not a big comic reader anymore and have never been a f4 fanboy so i can only go on the film i saw.
I'd heard the film was disjointed and badly edited but what i sat down to watch was no worse than a lot of Hollywood films, at first anyway.
The leads were a lot more likeable than i expected (although the Thing and the Human torch really didn't get fleshed out well as characters.), the story concentrated on the team creating a teleport device that sends them to another dimension, which results in their powers.

The film was darker than i expected and the powers seemed like a curse at first, with them being experimented on by the government and being used as weapons.

In one scene mr stretch escapes along a tunnel reminding me of that Tooms 'X files' episode, another scene where the torch wakes up screaming and in flames was interesting too.

Also i liked the scene where Dr Doom is walking along a corridor making peoples heads explode like something out of 'Scanners'.

The downside was that the end did feel like a different film from the slow scientific build up of the first half and it does seem that this is down to studio interference, with shit flying about and it also felt too rushed.

Overall, watchable but not fantastic. 6/10

I think both of these films were victims of 'fans' reactions that they weren't what they expected or changed too much from the original concepts. (women ghostbusters 'gasp'/ younger F4 members and a black human torch.)

Neither are as bad as they were made out to be and are perfectly watchable.
Maybe it's something to do with having no expectations as to the films as i expected both to be terrible.

Personally i take film reviews with a pinch of salt,(only really listening to a few select reviewers whose viewpoints i generally agree with.) as all films are victims to the watchers personal tastes, a lot of films i didn't like have become favourites on rewatch when i was in a better mood to watch it.

So i try to sit down to watch a film without having knee jerk reactions and take them generally on whether i found them a chore to watch, which neither of these were, both had good and bad moments but i wasn't sat looking at my watch waiting for them to end.

Old 18th March 2018, 07:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Murder By Decree. Sherlock Holmes is on the hunt for Jack the Ripper in this late 70s Victorian thriller starring Christopher Plummer and a perfectly cast James Mason as Holmes and Watson. Well made and acted, with a great 'hook', but it's a bit on the ponderous side and the conspiracy thriller plot never really convinces.
Old 18th March 2018, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I ended up watching two films this week that were totally slated on their release, i think there must be something wrong with me as when something is so badly panned i have a perverse desire to watch it.

Ghostbusters

Attachment 202367

I really didn't mind this, i love the original but have never really enjoyed the second film so to me this was more entertaining than that one.
I thought i would hate the new characters but thought they were o.k with the stand out one being the tech geek who invented the equipment.

The plot basically covers much of the same ground as the original, but not as well done. There are small cameo's from all of the original Ghostbusters, and although it never reaches the heights it could have i nevertheless found it a reasonably entertaining way to spend a bit of time.

6/10

Fantastic 4

Attachment 202368

This was on Ch 4 tonight so i thought why not, i'm not a big comic reader anymore and have never been a f4 fanboy so i can only go on the film i saw.
I'd heard the film was disjointed and badly edited but what i sat down to watch was no worse than a lot of Hollywood films, at first anyway.
The leads were a lot more likeable than i expected (although the Thing and the Human torch really didn't get fleshed out well as characters.), the story concentrated on the team creating a teleport device that sends them to another dimension, which results in their powers.

The film was darker than i expected and the powers seemed like a curse at first, with them being experimented on by the government and being used as weapons.

In one scene mr stretch escapes along a tunnel reminding me of that Tooms 'X files' episode, another scene where the torch wakes up screaming and in flames was interesting too.

Also i liked the scene where Dr Doom is walking along a corridor making peoples heads explode like something out of 'Scanners'.

The downside was that the end did feel like a different film from the slow scientific build up of the first half and it does seem that this is down to studio interference, with shit flying about and it also felt too rushed.

Overall, watchable but not fantastic. 6/10

I think both of these films were victims of 'fans' reactions that they weren't what they expected or changed too much from the original concepts. (women ghostbusters 'gasp'/ younger F4 members and a black human torch.)

Neither are as bad as they were made out to be and are perfectly watchable.
Maybe it's something to do with having no expectations as to the films as i expected both to be terrible.

Personally i take film reviews with a pinch of salt,(only really listening to a few select reviewers whose viewpoints i generally agree with.) as all films are victims to the watchers personal tastes, a lot of films i didn't like have become favourites on rewatch when i was in a better mood to watch it.

So i try to sit down to watch a film without having knee jerk reactions and take them generally on whether i found them a chore to watch, which neither of these were, both had good and bad moments but i wasn't sat looking at my watch waiting for them to end.
I didn't like the new Ghostbusters because I felt like they where trying to be funny and at times failing where as original it just flowed so easily and come across effortless .
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th March 2018, 03:13 PM
Cult Addict

Fair enough Gag, at least you gave it a go.

Old 18th March 2018, 03:16 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

sei_2894286.jpg

After helping a member of a Yakuza Family escape prison Nick (Jared Leto ) is accepted into The Yakuza but his arrival is not going down well with everyone as outsiders are not normally permitted to enter.

I am a massive fan of Jared Leto he really is a fantastic actor not always in the greatest films but he always turns in a fantastic performance. Here is is no different his character does not have much to say but he really is an intense presence on the screen. Mostly he is quite an introvert character but there are occasional bursts of e trend violence but its the way he carries these violent acts out in such a calm way that makes him so much more interesting leaving you guessing every time he is on camera. The violence is only occasional which gave it more of an impact when it did occur .

I really enjoyed The Outsider and after hearing people say it's not original I was worried it would be too cliched but even if it offers nothing new its the way its shot and acted that makes it stand out for me. It really has a vibe a Nicolas Winding Refn film minus the long pauses but you get what I mean.

A solid 8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!