Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2018, 07:06 PM
Cult Addict

Shakma
A group of doctors scramble a baboons brain making him extremely aggressive so they put him down. Unfortunately our "hero" doesn't. That evening they do a quest in their building and then shakma wakes up and kills them all in rage.
As animal attack movies go its not the best. The acting is alright. But what's bad about it is undermined simply by the adorable baboon and some fun kills.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 19th March 2018, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Night Of The Grizzly (1966, Joseph Pevney)
Unscupulous types use a local legend of the titular bear to scare off some decent law abidin' folks. Guess what happens? Starts off about as sickly as the most sentimental Waltons episode ... ends in the same way. The bit in the middle makes up for it with cut outs galore festooning the screen like it's half price dentures and scenery week at the store. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th March 2018, 07:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Blood of the Virgins (1967)

This Argentine curio is a bizarre mix of go-go dancing and Hammer horror. Simply put it's a film about a group of friends on a ski trip who end up at the mansion of a vampire.

Reminiscent of Rollin and Franco rolled into one with it's genuine oddness - flying seagulls tinted red - and fondness for very long unerotic sex scenes. Lead actress Susana Beltránis soon succumbs to the count and becomes his very buxom vampire bride who in turn seduces all her friends.

The film is full of nudity and the not exactly shy Beltranis certainly kept me watching, but in no way is this film either tense or scary (although it does throw in a couple of gory deaths) and doesn't exactly work as a horror film. Still you'll know if this is the sort of thing you'd enjoy. I did.
Old 19th March 2018, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sold ... even if I may have seen it ... under another title? Hmmm .
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th March 2018, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monster movie about a creature living under a graveyard that feeds on the dead and a cop, a wild eyed Brion James who is determined to kill it and a scientist who wants to save it so he can study it as it has unique healing ablites that could be used to help people.watch out for Neve Campbell in a early role as a young police officer. 6/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th March 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Red Sparrow

Jennifer Lawrence plays a Russian Ballerina whose career is ended with a nasty on stage leg breaking. Roped in by her creepy uncle who works for the Russian secret service, she agrees to a simple job switching phones with an Oligarch who has pissed off the government in some way. Things go south when the rich slob rapes her and then is killed by a government assassin.
I'm a fifth of the way through the book and this plays out quite differently.

As a favour to her uncle Vanya. She knows she's to seduce the businessman and sleep with him but that's all. She undresses in the bathroom and then they have sex - it's definitely not rape - whilst he's straddling her an unseen assassin garrottes him with piano wire. Blood pours from the wound and from his mouth over Dominika's breasts in a way that haunts her until she kills the guy at the academy.

I wondered if they'd lessened that scene's impact for the film and it seems they have. Her betrayal by her uncle and lack of info as to what would happen motivates her throughout. It's a pivotal sequence and has quite the impact on the written page.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 20th March 2018, 01:39 AM
Cult Addict

The more i'm hearing about this 'Red Sparrow' thing the more it appeals, but i feel i'm going to be let down as it sounds pretty exploitative.

Glad you enjoyed ' Blood of the virgins' it's shite but i have a soft spot for it because it was shown on Ch 4 as part of he Exploitica/ Eurotica film season years back, anyone that has the audacity to pretend seagulls are bats has my vote.

You need to catch up with ' `The curious dr hummp' if you enjoyed that film , it's so much more enjoyable in my opinion, it's by the same guy and features the same buxom wench as 'blood' but bizarrely it came out two years later ands was in Black and white but was more exploitative. classic stuff.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th March 2018, 04:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched the Oceans 11 remake for the first time (I know I'm 17 years late ). I really enjoyed it! I can't wait to check out the rest.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 20th March 2018, 04:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I watched the Oceans 11 remake for the first time (I know I'm 17 years late ). I really enjoyed it! I can't wait to check out the rest.
Only 10 more to go before oceans 12
Old 20th March 2018, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Only 10 more to go before oceans 12

Like this? Share it using the links below!