Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179610Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2018, 11:49 AM
Cult Addict

Pacific rim: uprising.

Set 10 years after the first movie. The film has a new generation of Jager pilots including John Boyega playing Idris Elbas son and Scott Eastwood looking alarmingly more like Clint with each passing year. After a mystery rogue Jager attacks a summit on the use of drone tech it's clear something big is about to happen.
PR2 is something of a lesser film than the original. The pacing and world building isn't as well implemented as with the Del Toro one with too many characters that have too much to do with the plot to be considered incidental. The mech stuff lacks the sense of scale that Del Toro brought to the first film with cities feeling more like the miniature scale sets from the lesser Godzilla movies than actual living breathing worlds. The film was clearly made for the South East Asian market and spends a portion of its run time introducing characters for that demographic.

However...

Even the lesser Godzilla films were usually fun and that's the case here. I didn't regret going to see it at the cinema. In fact it's the sort of film that demands the biggest screen possible. While the director isn't Del Toro he still delivers something Michael Bay should be made to watch before going anywhere near another Transformers. Also fans of mecha anime will get a kick out of the various nods to other series including a shot of the Gundam statue in Tokyo. With managed Expectations, warts and all this is still an entertaining flick. It's just a bit too messy and inconsistent to be great.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I’m taking my sons to watch it this weekend, they loved the first one but I’ve already got low expectations for this so I’m glad my local Vue is cheap these days
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th March 2018, 03:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cop Land, it wasn't what I thought. I was expecting a Stallone kick arse everywhere Rambo style film but what I got was a slow thought out thriller about police corruption. Where Stallone plays a quiet small town sheriff watching how corrupt the police are from "tha big ol' city".

Kietel plays your usual shout at everyone Reservoir Dogs style self and Rob Patrick plays his usual loon. Overall it was pretty good but I missed the ending as it cut off in the shootout.
Old 26th March 2018, 03:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Cop Land

Overall it was pretty good but I missed the ending as it cut off in the shootout.
YOU CAN'T BEAT PHYSICAL MEDIA !!!
Old 26th March 2018, 05:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well you can't beat it. Unless they have ... hairline cracks which you don't notice until the disc skips a whole chapter

AHEM.
To continue .... comparing my (now shitey ) German Omen dvd with me mates UK BD. Goldsmith fans take note!!
The ST leaps out at the appropriate moments in a far more satisfying way than I can ever remember (... proviso having never seen it at the pictures etc). Result!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th March 2018, 06:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Cop Land, it wasn't what I thought. I was expecting a Stallone kick arse everywhere Rambo style film but what I got was a slow thought out thriller about police corruption. Where Stallone plays a quiet small town sheriff watching how corrupt the police are from "tha big ol' city".

Kietel plays your usual shout at everyone Reservoir Dogs style self and Rob Patrick plays his usual loon. Overall it was pretty good but I missed the ending as it cut off in the shootout.
One of my favourite cop/crime films alongside classics like Goodfellas, really good acting by Stallone. Reminds you he can actually act if given a good role.
Old 26th March 2018, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

the first of the Jack Ryan movies, we all know the film so no point going into the plot. we have Alec Baldwin as Ryan while no Ford is competent enough. probably my favourite along with clear and present danger and of course we cant forget Connery's Russian Captain! 9/10

going for straight out comedy this time and for the most part it works and is a better film than the first, but its definitely not a horror and is more a comedy/adventure/buddy movie. 6.7/10
Old 26th March 2018, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

JIGSAW 2017

Bodies appear in different locations, with the police suggesting that John Kramer is alive while a new game is in play.

Like the previous SAW movies everyone in this has something in common, while trying to stay alive while setting off new traps. With SAW 3, 4, 5 and 6 were noted to be extreme editions and the Final Chapter not hiding the gore this one is different as you see what will happen, you know what's going to happen and then just see the aftermath of it which was disappointing. The film is at a decent pace with the usual twist at the end. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jigsaw_2017_poster.jpg (22.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th March 2018, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wind River. Decent snowbound thriller. Recommend.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th March 2018, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Innkeepers 2011

In the last week of the Yankee Pedlar Inn two staff members decide to do some ghost hunting in order to see if the hotel's haunted past is true.

This film proves you can make a decent ghost story movie on a low budget and CGI effects are or needed.

It does have the good way of delivering "is it real or not, is there or isn't there ghosts" scenario, but never seems to question the sanity of the characters. It does have the plot of going around asking "are you there" questions, and the usual stupid thing of checking out the basement instead of a lit room. This is one of thosr movies that relies on tension and atmosphere and best watched on a dark quiet night. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-The_Innkeepers_Poster.jpg (18.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!