Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2018, 09:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I can't remember how I felt about Ridley Scott's Blade Runner when I first saw it, or even which version it was – it wasn't the Final Cut.

As for Blade Runner 2049, I was blown away when I saw it at the cinema, thinking it was one of the best films of the year and couldn't wait to watch it again. When I did just that (the 4K Ultra HD disc), it didn't disappoint and was as fascinating, immersive, and impressive as the first viewing.

I will watch it many more times in years to come, though finding the time will not be as easy because of the 163 minute running time – 46 minutes longer than the first film. This isn't a complaint that it is long, because there isn't anything I would like to remove and think it benefits from the extra character exploration, world building and deeper relationships.
I first saw the original on tv around 1992. Absolutely no idea which version. I think around then there was only the one but i may be wrong.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st April 2018, 09:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I first saw the original on tv around 1992. Absolutely no idea which version. I think around then there was only the one but i may be wrong.
With the director's cut released in 1993, it is possible you saw that, the theatrical version or the international cut! It's unlikely you'll remember if there was a voice-over and how it ended, but entirely possible you can find out from the dates on something like the IMDb.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st April 2018, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Some women don't understand a great movie, even my Mrs says I watch crap when it's clearly a great movie
I have the same problem with cult classic films and my friends on fb who say I watch some shite , while they toddle of to watch the biggest load of crap latest film that's been panned by everyone then say I should watch it because clearly I no idea of what's a good film or a bad film.
Luckily enough so far my misses has enjoyed everything I've shown her from Dario Argento Suspiria has become her new all time favourite closely followed \ David Cronenberg Videodrome
Other films I've shown her include , brain Damage \ Basket case, Warriors , Tokyo gore police , shogun assassin and loads of other stuff .

Last edited by gag; 1st April 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 1st April 2018, 11:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robocop 1987

Officer Alex Murphy is gunned down in the line of duty, classed as legally dead he is brought back by using robotic material. His memory is wiped but slowly it comes back and remembers his life and vows revenge.

This is one of those memorable child/teen movies from the 80s, full of futuristic, action, and lots of gore.

This is a no holds barred adrenaline rush excess of good guy versus a lot of bad guys with plenty of shooting and blood splatter.

Peter Weller gives out a great performance as Alex Murphy/Robocop, as his performance he studied how robots would move and paid off well. Kurtwood Smith plays Clarence Boddiker the guy who hates cops. He will gun down anyone and not even blink twice, Ronny Cox plays Dick Jones who has Boddiker under his wing and coaxes him.

The version I watched was the original director cut, with some scenes extended like Murphy being gunned down, E.D 209 Shooting in the board room. The film does have memorable bits we still remember, the guy getting shot in the nuts, Emil driving into toxic waste or in the nightclub blink and miss it with the girl dancing with her boobs out. 10+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoboCop-Poster.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 1st April 2018, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I have the same problem with cult classic films and my friends on fb who say I watch some shite , while they toddle of to watch the biggest load of crap latest film that's been panned by everyone then say I should watch it because clearly I no idea of what's a good film or a bad film.
Luckily enough so far my misses has enjoyed everything I've shown her from Dario Argento Suspiria has become her new all time favourite closely followed \ David Cronenberg Videodrome
Other films I've shown her include , brain Damage \ Basket case, Warriors , Tokyo gore police , shogun assassin and loads of other stuff .
My Mrs has same taste but she can't get into Argento's movies but she did like Suspiria, I showed her Videodrome, The Brood, Rabid and Shivers, and was told that if I enjoyed them then I have a screw loose, and that's from a lass who like the remake of The Haunting.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st April 2018, 11:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
My Mrs has same taste but she can't get into Argento's movies but she did like Suspiria, I showed her Videodrome, The Brood, Rabid and Shivers, and was told that if I enjoyed them then I have a screw loose, and that's from a lass who like the remake of The Haunting.
If never seen those type of films before then videodrome kinda understandable , but rest of Cronenberg film you mentioned nah.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
If never seen those type of films before then videodrome kinda understandable , but rest of Cronenberg film you mentioned nah.
Kinda went through a Cronenberg phase in my teens blame the adolescent part
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Brood is fricking awesome!
gag and MrBarlow like this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
A man after my own heart glad someone agrees with me that it's great
keirarts and iank like this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I think all Cronenberg films are excellent in the horror department,
Some better than others but still equally as a good watch in there on way .
Wasn't keen on comopolis and I quite liked Eastern promise and A History of violence , only downfall I had with history of violence is I felt ending was a tadge rushed and over pretty quite .
Cronenberg is my favourite directpr.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!