Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

pedromonkey 25th April 2010 10:15 PM

just watched Tobe Hooper's Salems Lot for the first time in ages and i really like it, one of the best King adapts and one of the best Vampire films ever made...

antmumford 25th April 2010 10:38 PM

Today I watched

Night of Fear - Was okay. Quite slow but well shot. Was banned in Australia but I can't see why.
Inn of the Damned - Really good. Well acted and directed, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shinjuku Incident - Awesome film, good to see Jackie show people just what a great actor he really is.
Away We Go - Loved every single second of this. Beautiful, funny and just generally charming.

42ndStreetFreak 26th April 2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 76244)
Today I watched

Night of Fear - Was okay. Quite slow but well shot. Was banned in Australia but I can't see why.
Inn of the Damned - Really good. Well acted and directed, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Got the double of those coming in the post.

The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)

http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvmumtomb.php

Moving along at a much faster pace, with far more mummy action, than the previous film, “The Mummy’s Hand”, this is a ridiculously maligned sequel, and this lowly status is quite simply unjustified.

Getting rid of every single scrap of dated comedy that held up proceedings in the previous film, this movie is not only far more entertaining from a ‘rampaging mummy’ point of view, but far darker (and unusually brave) enterprise that plays far more like a true horror movie than its predecessor.

Much of the criticism the flashback footage is as unjustified as the general negative comments the film gets lumbered with.
Yes, it does take 10 minutes out of the 60 odd minute running time of the film, but in fact this re-cap in “Tomb” still leaves us with far more time left in the film for ‘mummy action’ than the three times as long build-up to any action in “Hand”!

That’s not to say the film does not have faults.
You do have to wonder why it took a massive 30 years to get this revenge plot sorted out for one.
But this is still one of the most surprising sequels ever made due to the ruthless attitude towards it’s stock heroic characters and the startling change in tone from the film it followed on from.

Lon Chaney as Kharis lacks the creepiness the mummy had in the previous film but his fire scarred eye is quite effective and otherwise he’s as much of a physical (if a bit fatter!) presence.
And he certainly gives Kharis an air of unstoppable power.

The attack scenes themselves are more energetic and injected with a bit more action than "Hand" too.

After much atmospheric mummy action and some surprisingly calculated deaths of popular characters (that still seems astonishingly unusual, and would only really be repeated with such brutal efficiency 48 years later in “Maniac Cop 2”) it all culminates in an enjoyable, fire-filled, finale.

Overall then what we have in “The Mummy’s Tomb” is a second sequel that fixes most of the faults the first sequel had, takes a very different and much darker attitude to proceedings and takes some unusual and brave narrative decisions.

Gigantor 26th April 2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 76198)
Freakshow (2007)

Banned in 43 countries according to the DVD.

I thought it was ok, the graphic prolonged climatic mutilation has to be seen to be believed.

Banned or Panned?

Banned in Mauritania, Kyrgyzstan, Belize,Equatorial Guinea , Island of Tonga and......

Banned in 43 countries sounds so nefarious until you realise it isn't really banned it's just that there's no electricity or DVD players to play these movies.:laugh:

pedromonkey 26th April 2010 02:35 PM

just watched the first Blade movie, and i forgot how awesome it actually was, im watching Blade 2 at the moment....

Gigantor 26th April 2010 02:41 PM

Yeah BLADE is a fun movie

42ndStreetFreak 26th April 2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 76299)
just watched the first Blade movie, and i forgot how awesome it actually was, im watching Blade 2 at the moment....

Just don't go near the crock of crud 3rd film.

vincenzo 26th April 2010 03:00 PM

I wasn't too enamoured with Blade II but the 3rd one really is dire. :ack:

Gojirosan 26th April 2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 76304)
I wasn't too enamoured with Blade II but the 3rd one really is dire. :ack:

I agree.

I think the second Blade is Del Toro's worst film (his only bad film IMO), but the third one...sheesh!

Norrington's original is great though.

pedromonkey 26th April 2010 04:21 PM

just finished Blade 2, i really like it, i remember liking it when i saw it in the cinema, i kind of enjoy the 3rd one, it's a little bit silly but ryan reynolds kicks ass in it. Agree that the Original Blade is the best.