LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2018, 10:09 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It could be how I felt at the time – I don't know if I've seen it since then!
I've checked and I bought the BD from CEX for £2 in 2010, last watching it in 2014.

I remember one of the sequels (I think the first one) was extremely boring because it seemed about a third of the film consisted of nothing but footage of the automated pool cleaner. I thought that would be a major plot point, but it seemed it wasn't and was perhaps just a way of filling time while very little was taking place in the house.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th April 2018, 10:15 AM
Cult Addict

i've only seen the first one and i did find it unnerving, but i generally get creeped out by ghost films.
It was well made and creepy but i haven't been inspired to watch any more of the series.

Also personally i found the end shot to be unnecessary, for me it lessened the films impact because it seemed unnatural while the rest of the film was more effective.

I don't want to give anything away in case Dem is going to watch it but i'm sure people who've watched it will know what i am referring to.

Actually i just rewatched the end on youtube and i seem to remember the final image being more over the top than it actually is, so i'm not sure what was going on in my head at the time.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th April 2018, 11:18 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Monolith Monsters (1957)

A meteor lands outside a small Californian desert town. On contact with water it grows and expands into a giant crystalline alien rock like monolith er' monsters that keep toppling over then growing into even more mighty monoliths whose fragments when touched turn humans into stone.

Quite an original idea in an era flooded by original science fiction ideas. Although it borrows a bit from films such as Them! (1954) with it's desert town in panic storyline it also delves that bit deeper and allows English born Les Tremayne a side story of a news editor determined to use the disaster as a way to achieve personal success.

The huge crystalline monoliths are impressive effects as is the destruction of the dam in a bid to destroy them even though it's clearly the 'flashflood' effect on show to visitors as part of the Universal Studios backlot tour.

A unique and enjoyable science fiction film. The Screenbound dvd looks fine.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-monolith-monsters1.jpg (111.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th April 2018, 04:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Paranormal Activity, 2007. Icon Home Entertainment Blu-ray release.
Thank you for that. It's what a film critique should be like (although maybe not always as long).

Too many people think that all you need to do with a review is give the title of the film, and a link to a YouTube trailer!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th April 2018, 05:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Thank you for that. It's what a film critique should be like (although maybe not always as long).

Too many people think that all you need to do with a review is give the title of the film, and a link to a YouTube trailer!
That was something I wrote years ago as a full review of the Blu-ray package, something I did for my own website. I don't do that all the time for every film/disc I watch!
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th April 2018, 07:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched The Relic for the second time. A very entertaining monster movie set in a museum.

The Blu-Ray looked and sounded great, but to call this a bare-bones release would be an understatement. According to the back of the case, special features include "Scene Selection". The film itself was really good though. 7.5/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Relic.jpg (9.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th April 2018, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Watching the Del Toro/Romero interview on season of the witch blu ray, please watch it, if you a fan of either filmmaker. Del Toro is a very erudite film analyst, and I would gladly pay to hear him interview any number of other film makers.

10/10
I listened to his commentary on an old film called "Vampyr" and it was very, very interesting. He clearly knows his shit!
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th April 2018, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I listened to his commentary on an old film called "Vampyr" and it was very, very interesting. He clearly knows his shit!
On my list, along with so many others!
Going through some special features at the moment, the Frank Capra doc on Mr Smith Goes to Washington is a whopping 2 hours! Also have the Fright Night doc lined up!
keirarts and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 6th April 2018, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
He loves that film alright. I can see why mind.
That Eureka release has the heaviest booklet of any reissue ...
keirarts and ArgentoFan1987 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th April 2018, 10:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's one of the greatest commentaries ever recorded.

Like this? Share it using the links below!