Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict

2001 Maniacs
Some students heading for spring break are diverted to pleasant valley; where they are the guests of honor. By that I mean they are to be killed and eaten.
Not a great horror comedy, but not a terrible one either. Some good kills and a great performance from Robert Englund.
6.5/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 13th April 2018, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've a soft spot for it also b ... the sequel just isn't as much fun
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2018, 08:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I've a soft spot for it also b ... the sequel just isn't as much fun
Yeah, I have that as well, better get it over with tomorrow I suppose. At least it ain't a shark movie

Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 13th April 2018, 08:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
2001 Maniacs
Some students heading for spring break are diverted to pleasant valley; where they are the guests of honor. By that I mean they are to be killed and eaten.
Not a great horror comedy, but not a terrible one either. Some good kills and a great performance from Robert Englund.
6.5/10
Have you seen the sequel, 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams? I haven't since I reviewed it, when I finished the review with these thoughts:

"Reviewing a film like this is almost like preaching to the converted as, if you didn't like the first 2001 Maniacs film, there is no way that you're going to wastes time and/or money on this but, if you loved since the first film, then all you need to hear is "this one's like is the first". Of all the different genres around, horror-comedy is possibly the most difficult as the film needs to work as both a horror film and as a comedy without falling in between the two stills and failing to be either. I wasn't a big fan of Tim Sullivan's debut film, despite the impressive performances by Robert Englund and Lin Shaye (who, along with several other 2001 Maniacs alumni, reprises her role here).

Although I am a big fan of exploitation cinema, I much preferred Sullivan's second film, Driftwood, in which he seem to have matured as a filmmaker but this sees him right back where he was five years ago with many of the same actors and filmmakers and using the same type of humour and gore horror.

Taking this on its own merits, it works fairly well and is entertaining for the 80-plus minutes but, and this is from someone who has watched it twice, I don't think it has a great deal of longevity and is certainly not the finest horror film released this month, let alone this year."
Old 13th April 2018, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Razorback (1984, Russell Mulcahy)
When a reporter disappears in Australia, her partner goes down under to investigate. Teaming up with two local 'experts' seems like a good idea ... but they have their own agenda ... a film that gets better every year I watch it. David Argue gives the performance of his life etc ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I like both 2001 Maniacs and the sequel. Admittedly the sequel isn't as good but it has that brilliant death scene in the tent.

Both are better than the original in my opinion. The acting is terrible in the Lewis film.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

But 2000 Maniacs is my second favourite musical

[B]
Old 13th April 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
But 2000 Maniacs is my second favourite musical
When i reviewed the film a few weeks ago i did rave about Lewis' self penned song - Robert E Lee Broke His Musket on his Knee.

Everyone thinks it's called The South's Gonna Rise Again but it isn't.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 14th April 2018, 05:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is it as low budget as the previous film?

Keirarts enjoyed it. I was looking at it in Asda today.
Ultra-low. But the director knows how to get the most out of such limited resources, making it work in the film's favour.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 14th April 2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 14th April 2018, 08:01 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen the sequel, 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams? I haven't since I reviewed it, when I finished the review with these thoughts:

"Reviewing a film like this is almost like preaching to the converted as, if you didn't like the first 2001 Maniacs film, there is no way that you're going to wastes time and/or money on this but, if you loved since the first film, then all you need to hear is "this one's like is the first". Of all the different genres around, horror-comedy is possibly the most difficult as the film needs to work as both a horror film and as a comedy without falling in between the two stills and failing to be either. I wasn't a big fan of Tim Sullivan's debut film, despite the impressive performances by Robert Englund and Lin Shaye (who, along with several other 2001 Maniacs alumni, reprises her role here).

Although I am a big fan of exploitation cinema, I much preferred Sullivan's second film, Driftwood, in which he seem to have matured as a filmmaker but this sees him right back where he was five years ago with many of the same actors and filmmakers and using the same type of humour and gore horror.

Taking this on its own merits, it works fairly well and is entertaining for the 80-plus minutes but, and this is from someone who has watched it twice, I don't think it has a great deal of longevity and is certainly not the finest horror film released this month, let alone this year."
I haven't seen it yet, but I will be hopefully this weekend

keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!