All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2018, 09:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dougal And The Blue Cat.

Kids films. In my day ... we had it all, animal cruelty to xenophobia inclusive
And then there's this ... a weird blend of British humour and outright cultural imperialism. Certainly one of the stranger TV movie 'adaptations' from the 70s ... but like The George & Mildred Movie this is a good thing. Our hirsute hero and his chums' rather cosy lifestyle is shattered by the arrival of Buxton, a feline with an agenda for CHANGE. Sadly, whilst the cat seems to charm everyone towards this end .... except the sugar junkie himself .
Still quite eerie in places. A damn sight more effective than that Insidious tripe anyhow.

P.S. THIS is my favourite musical btw.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th April 2018, 09:45 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Dougal And The Blue Cat.
I've never heard of this until Mark Kermode was talking about in 2010 and championed its DVD release – it quickly became one of my favourite films. The wonderfully weird design and Eric Thomson's voice work (plus Fenella Fielding as 'The Blue Voice') gives the film a strange and brilliant mix of the very silly, surprisingly dark, and wonderfully adventurous and mischievous. I think Kermode is right and it is one of the great surreal films.

Old 14th April 2018, 10:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Ultra-low. But the director knows how to get the most out of such limited resources, making it work in the film's favour.
The original All Hallows Eve film was good. Well held together by the performance of the babysitter.

Think i'll pick this up sooner rather than later.

Terrifier
isn't set on Halloween is it?
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 14th April 2018, 01:55 PM
Cult Addict

2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams
So this time the residents of Pleasant Valley aren't getting any yankees to kill. So they decide to go to the yankees. Fortunately some reality TV wannabes head to their jamboree and are planning to exploit the hicks. Or will they?
Not as good as the first, Bill Moseley does his best. Some great death scenes, disappointingly Ogre doesn't sing nor does moseley.
6/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 14th April 2018, 02:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

IMAGES – Robert Altman film from the seventies has a heavy ‘Repulsion’-esque vibe to it. Susannah York features as a writer whose identity seems to fragment as her tangled relationships catch up with her. I’m only really used to the director’s canonical works, so this was a first watch for me. I really liked it, it has an atmosphere not unlike ‘Symptoms’ in some ways – stylishly oppressive scenery, cramped locations, heady undercurrents and lots of second guessing. Excellent.

SWEET, SWEET LONELY GIRL – Arty indie-horror about a young woman looking after her agoraphobic Aunt in the latter’s vast mansion. Her world takes on a sinister sheen after she meets a noir-ish goth sophisticate who appears to manipulate, then seduce her. A really great little film whose atmosphere of foreboding unreality seethes into a cascade of vague supernatural surrealism by the end. As musky as a mildewed photo of a creepy nineteen-twenties dame. Well worth seeing (probably via Amazon prime).

NIGHT OF THE VIRGIN – Some loser gets off with a cultist with an agenda – namely, fertility ritual involving virgin sacrifice. Didn’t think I’d like this because of all the P Jackson ‘Brain Dead’ comparisons it seemed to be getting (unpopular opinion, but I can’t abide the latter film). Whilst I can understand the reference to some extent, it’s really not that kind of movie - arguably it’s a ‘gore-comedy’ and there’s a splattery birth scene, but the humour is sharp and carefully placed rather than knockabout, and the vibe is pretty dark overall. Works up a claustrophobic atmosphere through use of its single set and two lead performances, both of which are good. Overlong, but worth seeing.

BLOOD HARVEST – The world needs more Bill Rebane on HD. I can’t imagine that happening to any great extent, but I like his movies. Most people find them boring. ‘Blood Harvest’ is probably one of his most audience-friendly flicks in that it tallies broadly with what most people expect from a low budget indie from the tail-end of the slasher boom. It still feels as awkward and clumsily contrived as the other Rebane movies, but at least the pace is there, along with some exploitative elements… and Tiny Tim! Inspired move on Rebane’s part, snaring ‘Blood Harvest’ a cultural / historical niche. Curiously, TT’s presence doesn’t overwhelm, although you kind of want it to. Anyway, an interesting off-beat regional schlocker which might have today’s hot and horny horror fans tiptoeing through the tulips yet.

SAM WAS HERE – Wow, really loved this one. It’s about a travelling salesman who tangles with an ill-defined mystery affecting an arid dustbowl town and ends up on the run from angry people wearing masks. It has something to do with UFOs (or not), creepy dolls in motel rooms (which are not really relevant) and a radio talk show host who seems to be the controlling, god-like presence at the centre of an unfathomable conspiracy (or might not be). You’ve probably guessed that ‘Sam was Here’ doesn’t make much linear sense, so anyone expecting a well-defined plot with a definitive resolution can wave goodbye. What it does provide is atmosphere, vibes, style and aesthetics – the desert is an overpowering visual presence, the counterpoint to the conceptual flux in the background, and the whole thing seems infused with the still, unnerving presence of a William Eggleston photograph. Maybe not easy to like, but I definitely recommend it to lovers of weird stuff.
Old 14th April 2018, 02:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
a noir-ish goth sophisticate
This is how i picture you, Frankie.
Old 14th April 2018, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th April 2018, 03:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
IMAGES – Robert Altman film from the seventies has a heavy ‘Repulsion’-esque vibe to it. Susannah York features as a writer whose identity seems to fragment as her tangled relationships catch up with her. I’m only really used to the director’s canonical works, so this was a first watch for me. I really liked it, it has an atmosphere not unlike ‘Symptoms’ in some ways – stylishly oppressive scenery, cramped locations, heady undercurrents and lots of second guessing. Excellent.

SWEET, SWEET LONELY GIRL – Arty indie-horror about a young woman looking after her agoraphobic Aunt in the latter’s vast mansion. Her world takes on a sinister sheen after she meets a noir-ish goth sophisticate who appears to manipulate, then seduce her. A really great little film whose atmosphere of foreboding unreality seethes into a cascade of vague supernatural surrealism by the end. As musky as a mildewed photo of a creepy nineteen-twenties dame. Well worth seeing (probably via Amazon prime).

NIGHT OF THE VIRGIN – Some loser gets off with a cultist with an agenda – namely, fertility ritual involving virgin sacrifice. Didn’t think I’d like this because of all the P Jackson ‘Brain Dead’ comparisons it seemed to be getting (unpopular opinion, but I can’t abide the latter film). Whilst I can understand the reference to some extent, it’s really not that kind of movie - arguably it’s a ‘gore-comedy’ and there’s a splattery birth scene, but the humour is sharp and carefully placed rather than knockabout, and the vibe is pretty dark overall. Works up a claustrophobic atmosphere through use of its single set and two lead performances, both of which are good. Overlong, but worth seeing.

BLOOD HARVEST – The world needs more Bill Rebane on HD. I can’t imagine that happening to any great extent, but I like his movies. Most people find them boring. ‘Blood Harvest’ is probably one of his most audience-friendly flicks in that it tallies broadly with what most people expect from a low budget indie from the tail-end of the slasher boom. It still feels as awkward and clumsily contrived as the other Rebane movies, but at least the pace is there, along with some exploitative elements… and Tiny Tim! Inspired move on Rebane’s part, snaring ‘Blood Harvest’ a cultural / historical niche. Curiously, TT’s presence doesn’t overwhelm, although you kind of want it to. Anyway, an interesting off-beat regional schlocker which might have today’s hot and horny horror fans tiptoeing through the tulips yet.

SAM WAS HERE – Wow, really loved this one. It’s about a travelling salesman who tangles with an ill-defined mystery affecting an arid dustbowl town and ends up on the run from angry people wearing masks. It has something to do with UFOs (or not), creepy dolls in motel rooms (which are not really relevant) and a radio talk show host who seems to be the controlling, god-like presence at the centre of an unfathomable conspiracy (or might not be). You’ve probably guessed that ‘Sam was Here’ doesn’t make much linear sense, so anyone expecting a well-defined plot with a definitive resolution can wave goodbye. What it does provide is atmosphere, vibes, style and aesthetics – the desert is an overpowering visual presence, the counterpoint to the conceptual flux in the background, and the whole thing seems infused with the still, unnerving presence of a William Eggleston photograph. Maybe not easy to like, but I definitely recommend it to lovers of weird stuff.
As always ....
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th April 2018, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This is how i picture you, Frankie.
If you knew the depressing truth, I don't think you'd be 'picturing' me at all!
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th April 2018, 04:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
If you knew the depressing truth, I don't think you'd be 'picturing' me at all!
HUG!!!!!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!