Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2018, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Hurricane Heist. Sky Movies.

By the numbers typical American crap. Not even entertaining crap. My wife, who normally laps this sort of shit up looked at me and said, "This is crap!" Released in cinemas and on Sky at the same time, which should tell you all you really need to know. Somehow I don't see it raking it in at the box office.

Jim Jeffries. Freedumb. Netflix.

Aussie comic who I hadn't seen before made me laugh till I cried. I'm fussy about stand up comedy and the list of comedians that can make me sit there stony faced is endless, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, that posh twat off League of Their Own whose name I have tried deliberately to erase from my memory, Amy "Joke Thief" Shumer, it goes on and on. I ended up watching two more of Jims' specials on YouTube and now rate him as one of the funniest out there standing shoulder to shoulder with Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr. But, hey, comedy is selective, you'll either love him or not.

Shin Godzilla. Sky Movies.

I wanted to like this. I sat there willing to forgive in fervent hope that this would be the Godzilla to kick arse all the previous Godzillas. But when that rubber, dead eyed giant tadpole pulled itself into the city I sat there wide eyed thinking WTF? No, no, go with it, see how it progresses. Like giving birth to a giant turd I sat through the pain of it emerging onto my screen as the disappointment grew. The worst of it is, is that it is left wide open for a sequel. I think it's time to give up all hope of there ever being a decent Godzilla film. For shame.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

By the numbers typical American crap. Not even entertaining crap. My wife, who normally laps this sort of shit up looked at me and said, "This is crap!" Released in cinemas and on Sky at the same time, which should tell you all you really need to know. Somehow I don't see it raking it in at the box office.
It's a Sky made film isn't it?

I wouldn't go near it personally.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 15th April 2018, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict

suicide squad.

Had to sit in and keep an eye on a mates kid while he went out with his missus. Stuck this on as it was his choice not mine. I swear down this film gets worse each time I watch it. When I went to the cinema I enjoyed it but each time afterwards I genuinely get pissed off by it more and more. The sloppy editing, the almost an hour of jukebox intros, the worst screen joker ever... about the only thing I still like is Harley Quinn. Everything else is just garbage. Ok it's not as bad as Batman v Superman. It's better paced than that trash and at least character motivation here is somewhat more plausible. My mates kid thought it was boring as well so next time it's DC animated stuff. Just took my blu-ray of the film to CEX.
Old 15th April 2018, 01:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle.

I recommend this only as the quine fae Sneckie made me laugh a lot (her 'sparkle' . Apart from that .... sheesh min. Why does Jack Black speak that way??? Lazy lazy use of 'that' song also. I missed Robin Williams tbh.
Desperate to see this! It looks like a lot of fun!
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 01:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
suicide squad.

Had to sit in and keep an eye on a mates kid while he went out with his missus. Stuck this on as it was his choice not mine. I swear down this film gets worse each time I watch it. When I went to the cinema I enjoyed it but each time afterwards I genuinely get pissed off by it more and more. The sloppy editing, the almost an hour of jukebox intros, the worst screen joker ever... about the only thing I still like is Harley Quinn. Everything else is just garbage. Ok it's not as bad as Batman v Superman. It's better paced than that trash and at least character motivation here is somewhat more plausible. My mates kid thought it was boring as well so next time it's DC animated stuff. Just took my blu-ray of the film to CEX.
It's so much worse than I ever expected it to be and I went int expecting the worst. It's truly atrocious.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 01:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

Jim Jeffries. Freedumb. Netflix.

Aussie comic who I hadn't seen before made me laugh till I cried. I'm fussy about stand up comedy and the list of comedians that can make me sit there stony faced is endless, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, that posh twat off League of Their Own whose name I have tried deliberately to erase from my memory, Amy "Joke Thief" Shumer, it goes on and on. I ended up watching two more of Jims' specials on YouTube and now rate him as one of the funniest out there standing shoulder to shoulder with Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr. But, hey, comedy is selective, you'll either love him or not.
I used to like him a few years ago, but I find a lot of his stuff quite repetitive. Don't even get me started on Schumer.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 03:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Desperate to see this! It looks like a lot of fun!
You may well. I have no fags til Wed. So everything is getting slated til then

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2018, 03:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
You may well. I have no fags til Wed. So everything is getting slated til then
Get an e cigarette. Cola and irn bru flavoured

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 03:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've tried them. Pass. Would rather smoke a pipe

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2018, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
It's so much worse than I ever expected it to be and I went int expecting the worst. It's truly atrocious.
I've found with a lot of films the initial enjoyment of seeing a film on the big screen disappates when you see it at home. I've avoided home cinema screenings of Blade Runner 2049 so far as part of the enjoyment for me was seeing it on a huge screen. Other stuff like star wars... well they were never really that great to begin with but made good popcorn fodder at a multiplex. Seeing them on the small screen misses the point entirely for me. (Though force awakens turned out to be watchable to my great surprise)

Speaking of which.....

Rampage

Complaining Rampage is stupid is like complaining water is wet. It's an adaptation of a vintage arcade game where the whole point was to play as one of three giant monsters trashing a city. It's a thin premise at best and video game adaptations are often problematic at best when turned into films. So Yes, rampage is dumber than Donald Trump on a Twitter rampage after another bout of senile dementia. It's completely stupid from beginning to end with two dimensional characterisation, especially the main villains and misplaced meta humour that falls flat on its arse.

But goddamn it was fun.

We get Jeffrey Dean Morgan chewing scenery and grinning like a hyena on ecstasy. The rock playing a sensitive guy who could pull your arms off and a bunch of other forgettable characters there to serve the plot. It may be the big screen, a saving grace for many a popcorn potboiler in the past. But the film seems to be at least aware it's dumb and plays to it's strength with plenty of monster mash action and shit getting wrecked.
I cannot vouch for it on a home cinema setup but theatrically it's a definite guilty pleasure.

Like this? Share it using the links below!