Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It is, but it is a scene from the film as well.

Not the helicopter though... at least it's not in the same scene, the helicopter takes on a Serb fighter plane in the mountains.
It's the guy in the front, his head looks disproportionate

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Baskin (2015)

A group of cops receive a distress call, upon investigating the call things become truly weird in an horrific descent into hell.

An interesting and very bloody horror film from Turkey. Whilst the first half sets the scene it feels like an elongated 'get to know you' affair as we get to see the cops as they basically talk. A lot. It even apes the Goodfellas "Funny like a clown" scene at one point. It's when the officers get the distress call that things take a turn for the bizarre.

What follows is a truly grim forty minutes of nightmarish sequences as the cops investigate a deserted police station and all hell breaks loose, quite literally. It benefits not coming out of the Hollywood system as it's far sicker than the usual horror movies doing the rounds. It's supremely atmospheric and utterly downbeat as well. I won't go into it any more as i don't want to spoil things should people choose to buy the Severin released dvd or blu-ray.

I liked Baskin. It's not perfect by any means but it does show ambition and should be welcomed with open (hacked off) arms by fans of Hellraiser and such like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a6c62d28d97df462f7f7d55c218804c7.jpg (55.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Magus (1968)

Well both the Greek coastline and Candice Bergen look quite pretty.

That's all i've got to say that's the slightest bit positive about this pretentious borefest.

No film starring Michael Caine and Anthony Quinn should be this dire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster_0_3_900x0.jpg (83.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Been a while fellow labbers, but i'm back in the game with One Dark Night. Never seen it before but saw it mentioned on one of the video nasties trailer collections, so got the rather unloved and unrestored 88 films copy.

Despite so much wooden acting that it makes sherwood forest look animated, i rather enjoyed this typical 'high school serority intiation in a mausoleum that of course goes wrong as shrieking 30 year olds playing teens think they're playing pranks on the initiatee, until real shenannigans occur' type of eighties film.

The type of slow burn one of those massive church candles gives you, interlaced with hokey cod science, toothbrush chewing annoyance - i was hoping she'd get it ramed down her throat, sadly not to be, and a bizarre real death of the undead by a make-up compact (don't ask me, i didn't write this shit), make this rather intriguing, if you don't mind slow burn - and i don't.

Some creepy effects, effective camera angles, and a decent synth track, added to all the typical cult stuff i've already mentioned make this a decent first watch. Pleasantly surprised. We'll see how well it holds up to multiple viewings.

3 and a 1/2 oral b's out of 5
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Review sir. I love ODN and many others that may not offer a welter of gore (see fricking Ittenbach ) but do convey a certain bleakness to them. King of this pile being The Slayer imo. Cult cough.
keirarts and Deadite like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:32 AM
Cult Addict

League of Gentlemen: Apocalypse
The town of Royston Vasey is doomed to be destroyed, so it's up to some of the locals to find the writers and get them to bring the show back to save their lives.
An interesting concept. It's just a shame it wasn't Edward, Tubbs and Papa Lazarou that were doing all the hard work.
6/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Demon (1979, Percival Rubens)

Antipodean 'thriller' wherein Cameron Mitchell looks at his bar tab and says "Where do I stand?" He plays a 'psychic' ... yet again his mere presence elevates this to a higher level of dreck than if it had been Bryan Brown
Excellent double bill with Impulse (74) ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd April 2018, 04:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ressurection Of Evil aka Havenhurst 2016

A woman moves into a building that helps addicts detox from their problems, if the rules are broken they are evicted..but in a different way.

I watched this on Netflix on a blind watch, it seemed to be going well for the first half of the movie, then the second half seemed like the production ran out of money and hurried to get the film finished and totally botched up the end. 4 out 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b2d917ac475343b764bb6b61c2536d9af6ac1d42.jpg (61.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd April 2018, 04:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well I found The Last Shark on AP ... but it's just the tip. Now perusing Ark Of The Sun God which I haven't seen since vhs etc. Almost Human as well!! That's the rest of the week sorted
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
Old 23rd April 2018, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nosferatu 1922

Count Orlok expresses interest in estate overseas and his estate agent's wife.

Based on Bram Stoker's novel Dracula, F.W. Murnau brings the story the the screen, even though this was made in the silent film era dont be put off by it. Max Schreck gives his memorable performance as the vampire.

What makes this film different from the other dracula movies that the film were shot on real locations around Europe and very little sets were built or used. The film does have a haunting fell in Orlok's castle that helps give the films its dark gothic look to it. 10 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main.jpg (16.5 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!