Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2018, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Love original superman films that's when superhero films where good and not just cash cow machine like they are now, their just tonnes of crash bang wallop action with CGI and huge budgets, never really been a fan of superhero but because of that of puts me of them anyway
Let's be honest superman as much as I love the first is a marve/dc film of its day. It cost of tonne of money at the time and was very special effects heavy for the time and let's be honest the story isn't Shakespeare and is pretty corny and flimsy. Sequels were made to make more money granted the budgets for worse. You really should watch winter soldier that puts most superhero films and a lot of other films to shame with excellent story etc and shows not all films are shallow cash cows.( But that can be said for the majority of films being made in the last 30 plus years)
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th April 2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 29th April 2018, 01:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A real none stop rollercoaster that doesn't let up for it 2hrs 30 minutes running time. You would think with all the characters it would be cluttered and wouldn't work but it does and each character gets a decent screen time and story. It's pretty dark in places for a marvel film and not the crappy DC Snyder darkness. Thano's is very well rounded villian, while you might not agree with what he's doing you can understand he's motives and in his mind he is doing what he think is for the best and actually cares in his own way. So unlike DC, marvel have gotten there villains right in the last few movies. At this point DC really need to get rid of Snyder if they really want to compete with marvel. Only downside just over a years wait till the sequel, it really should of been out for the fall. 9/10
Old 29th April 2018, 01:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Let's be honest superman as much as I love the first is a marvel film of its day. It cost of tonne of money at the time and was very special effects heavy for the time and let's be honest the story isn't Shakespeare and is pretty corny and flimsy. Sequels were made to make more money granted the budgets for worse. You really should watch winter soldier that puts most superhero films and a lot of other films to shame with excellent story etc and shows not all films are shallow cash cows.( But that can be said for the majority of films being made in the last 30 plus years)
I think the difference is that there seems to be a monopoly of superhero films where there's one out and constantly being hyped all year round. For example Black Panther is still in the US top 10, now along comes Infinity War. Then a month from now comes yet another one in the shape of Ant Man and Wasp.

I grant you many of them are in the good to very good range but the constant marketing i find annoying.

I agree that every film in the last thirty years has been made to be a cash cow, i'm sure every film ever made was probably done so in the hope it would make money for someone though.

I do think there is less variety as far as blockbusters go, whereas the 90's for example had the likes of Titanic, The Matrix, The Silence of the Lambs, Seven, Home Alone, LA Confidential, Wayne's World, The Truman Show, Braveheart, Men in Black, Pretty Woman, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Bram Stoker's Dracula - to name but a few, and all huge money spinners but there's a hell of a lot more variety there than constantly churning out Marvel, DC and Star Wars.
Old 29th April 2018, 01:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think the difference is that there seems to be a monopoly of superhero films where there's one out and constantly being hyped all year round. For example Black Panther is still in the US top 10, now along comes Infinity War. Then a month from now comes yet another one in the shape of Ant Man and Wasp.

I grant you many of them are in the good to very good range but the constant marketing i find annoying.

I agree that every film in the last thirty years has been made to be a cash cow, i'm sure every film ever made was probably done so in the hope it would make money for someone though.

I do think there is less variety as far as blockbusters go, whereas the 90's for example had the likes of Titanic, The Matrix, The Silence of the Lambs, Seven, Home Alone, LA Confidential, Wayne's World, The Truman Show, Braveheart, Men in Black, Pretty Woman, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Bram Stoker's Dracula - to name but a few, and all huge money spinners but there's a hell of a lot more variety there than constantly churning out Marvel, DC and Star Wars.
Agree. Think my real point was on the whole they aren't dreadful movies and for at least 40 years films have been made to make money there are the odd expections, most are pretty good but we do need a little more variety in our blockbusters as much as I love the superhero genre i can't see it being long before the bubble bursts but by then it will be something else.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 29th April 2018, 04:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Forsaken (2015)

John Henry Clayton returns from ten long years away when he learns of the death of his mother, his guns firmly retired, he attempts to repair his relationship with his father he becomes embroiled in a local land grabber's attempt to drive the people from their homes.

Regular 24 director John Cassar brings together father and son Donald and Keifer Sutherland in this classic style western with barely an original bone in it's body. The two, both in good form here are joined by an excellent supporting cast including the villainous Brian Cox, Demi Moore and a scene stealing Michael Wincott as a hired gun seemingly channeling Val Kilmer in Tombstone.

Despite referencing many other classics of the genre from Unforgiven and Pale Rider to older fayre like Destry Rides Again, Forsaken is an extremely enjoyable film with gorgeous cinematography, memorable characters and tension that builds beautifully from the start.

Excellent. Highly recommended to western fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forsaken-poster.jpg (100.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th April 2018, 04:59 PM
Cult Addict

Surviving Edged Weapons
A Documentary for police to help protect from getting killed by knives and other sharp implements.
This one is shocking, intense with some hilarious accents from the actors during the dramatization.
Blame RedLetterMedia.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 29th April 2018, 05:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Surviving Edged Weapons
A Documentary for police to help protect from getting killed by knives and other sharp implements.
This one is shocking, intense with some hilarious accents from the actors during the dramatization.
Blame RedLetterMedia.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
If anyone is interested, the full video is on YouTube. There is no uk release and the vhs tape is difficult to obtain
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Last edited by bleakshaun; 29th April 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 29th April 2018, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The villainess

Its got plenty of bad ass action if you like it like the raid from the very opening scene.
Sadly the film is let down because it's a struggle to watch due to constant flicking from one scene to another with flashbacks to and fro through most of the film .
Old 29th April 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That opening though . I liked it. Tried to guess if it'll be Scarlet or Charlize in the remake
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2018, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Annabelle: Creation 2017

After 12 years of the death of their daughter, a doll maker and his wife welcome a nun and orphans to their house unaware what horrors are unearth when a girl finds a door that's meant to be locked is unlocked.

The story to this was interesting, a father making a doll that resembles his daughter to tragedy and the suppose spirit of her living in the doll and somehow a demon possesses the doll and the connection to the first Annabelle movie. There is a bit of horror suspense and expect the unexpected jumps that can be predicted.

The downside to this was that there was a appearance of a raggedy Ann doll and does throw off the story behind the real Annabelle doll unless the film makers make another one. 5/6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg movieposter.jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!