Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

JoshuaKaitlyn 16th December 2012 08:00 PM

The Dark Knight (2008) Gotham City is tearing itself apart, Batman's presence has caused the mob to up their game and there are fake Batmen patrolling the streets. Enter the Joker, a psychopath whose only goal is to tip the scales in his direction. The sequel to Batman Begins is even more grittier than the first movie and with an opponent even more dangerous than Ducard / Al Ghul. There is a slightly different tone to this outing, where as 'Begins' didnt have the vast gothic towers that were prevalent in the 80's/90's versions it still retained a touch of the 'Burton/Schumacher' in the form of the railroad high above the ground snaking through the city and passing through Wayne Tower. In this outing Gotham could be any American city there is no strange architecture just gleaming glass towers. The movie also deals with the nature of dual personalities Bruce Wayne's/Batmans personality borders on madness at times, Harvey's is out of pain and loss but the Joker only has one personality and that is truely insane! My only nitpick really is that the movie is a little overlong but I still enjoyed the ride.

ThePopeofCOSDS 16th December 2012 09:57 PM

Hell Up in Harlem was a bust.... the DVD buggered up with 20 minutes left.

Instead, Enjoy The Church's review of THE RAPIST! Woot!

- Razor88

fuzzymctiger 16th December 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 302806)
Tried to catch up with the too watch pile as this is my last weekend at home for a while.

Collateral Superior thriller from Michael Mann , recommended.
Barbarella Fabulously silly comic book adaptation, recommended.
Yellow Brick Road I still don't understand this film. But it is a brave, if flawed attempt to try to do something different, at least technically. No subtitles, but for a film that relies on the sound design to such an extent that is not surprising. Choice of English or German audio on the German Bluray.
The Day another post-apocalyptic survival horror. I like it.

I head back to the U.K. for Christmas and New year on Friday and I am really looking forward to the opportunity to sit in the cinema - the Cameo and Film House have an excellent Christmas programme (Die Hard, Gremlins, Elf and a host of Ealing comedies).

I've been quite interested in seeing Yellow Brick Road, is it any good as a film?
I've heard the sounds design and concepts great, but I read that the ending ruins it.

SShaw 16th December 2012 10:37 PM

I like it, but I couldn't recommend it as it is likely to be a love it or hate it experience for most depending upon how frustrated you are with the story and ending. I picked up the German bluray for around 8 Euros at the local Saturn mediamarkt (and I note that the DVD is available from amazon.co.uk for £3 including postage!).

fuzzymctiger 16th December 2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 302931)
I like it, but I couldn't recommend it as it is likely to be a love it or hate it experience for most depending upon how frustrated you are with the story and ending. I picked up the German bluray for around 8 Euros at the local Saturn mediamarkt (and I note that the DVD is available from amazon.co.uk for £3 including postage!).

May try watch it before I buy it, and if i like it, I may get the German blu ray.
Am I the only one that notices that Germany gets quite a few new release Blus which are only DVD in other place, like Tetsuo Bullet Man.

ArgentoFan1987 17th December 2012 09:43 AM

Just watched Bubba Ho-Tep. It was one of the funniest/silliest films I've seen in a long time. 9/10.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 10:28 AM

Last week's Monday-Sunday viewing:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...mber2small.jpg

sawyer6 17th December 2012 11:13 AM

Some rare stuff from around the world:1)Second Mabuse film by Fritz Lang,perfect in high definition,2)mystery-comedy film from 1934 written by Mario Soldati based on a comedy by Edgar Wallace! 3)Italian sci-fi comedy from the 60's about an alien who enters a factory worker's body in order to study Earth for an upcoming invasion,4)Checkpoint,a WWII movie about a Russian prisoner of war who helps the partisan guerrillas in their fight aginst the Nazi so to prove his loyalty,5)after the end of the world,the sole survivor tries to cope with loneliness,one of the most grim endings I've ever seen! 6)typical heist tv movie of the 70's and the only feature film of Freddie Prinze Sr,7)a tv movie with Alex Karras as a profesional wrestler with so meaning in life except his job until he finds the perfect woman his happiness is in danger when a stalker appears,8)a modern film noir by Claude Berri starring comedian Coluche in an award winning role,9)anime that combines live action (for the humans) and animation (for the cockroaches) about a society of cockroaches that live happilly in a bachelor's house until he meets a girlfriend and everything changes in a tragic way,10)sci-fi film starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder as a homicide detective who tries to catch a terrorist in an utopia,11)German horror comedy,a satire against racism,12)How The War Started On My Island, one of the first movies to take humoristic approach towards violent break-up of Yugoslavia,based on real events,13)14)15)16)Icelandic viking films know also as the Raven trilogy or the viking trilogy(Embla is the shorter,director's cut of the third film),this is the real thing,no cheesy stuff here,three of the most authentic viking films!
http://i46.tinypic.com/111un29.jpg

fuzzymctiger 17th December 2012 11:43 AM

The Master (70MM) - An absolutely beautifully shot and made film.
I would write something about the actual plot, but I think I want to let the film sit a bit first.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 303006)
The Master (70MM) - An absolutely beautifully shot and made film.
I would write something about the actual plot, but I think I want to let the film sit a bit first.

I wanted to see that twice at the cinema but, due to the new Twilight film, it disappeared before I got the chance to go for a second viewing. However, I'll definitely buy it when it's released on Blu-ray as, for me, it's the best film of 2012 and one which will survive multiple viewings.

Have you seen it projected digitally or in 35mm? I'd love to know what difference it makes, if any.

fuzzymctiger 17th December 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 303007)
I wanted to see that twice at the cinema but, due to the new Twilight film, it disappeared before I got the chance to go for a second viewing. However, I'll definitely buy it when it's released on Blu-ray as, for me, it's the best film of 2012 and one which will survive multiple viewings.

Have you seen it projected digitally or in 35mm? I'd love to know what difference it makes, if any.

Ive seen 2 70mm films now, and they pretty much looks like 4K, maybe even better, but with little film imperfections like spots and "cigarette burns".

But The Master looked so amazing, I find it hard to believe a blu ray could ever replicate that perfect picture quality.

If you get the chance to see it in 70mm ever, it's a must see.

Also on a slightly related note, Samsara looks bloody amazing! Can't wait to see that later, but it's in 4K, unlike Baraka, which my theater has on every 3 months in 70mm

Demoncrat 17th December 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 302986)
Some rare stuff from around the world:1)Second Mabuse film by Fritz Lang,perfect in high definition,2)mystery-comedy film from 1934 written by Mario Soldati based on a comedy by Edgar Wallace! 3)Italian sci-fi comedy from the 60's about an alien who enters a factory worker's body in order to study Earth for an upcoming invasion,4)Checkpoint,a WWII movie about a Russian prisoner of war who helps the partisan guerrillas in their fight aginst the Nazi so to prove his loyalty,5)after the end of the world,the sole survivor tries to cope with loneliness,one of the most grim endings I've ever seen! 6)typical heist tv movie of the 70's and the only feature film of Freddie Prinze Sr,7)a tv movie with Alex Karras as a profesional wrestler with so meaning in life except his job until he finds the perfect woman his happiness is in danger when a stalker appears,8)a modern film noir by Claude Berri starring comedian Coluche in an award winning role,9)anime that combines live action (for the humans) and animation (for the cockroaches) about a society of cockroaches that live happilly in a bachelor's house until he meets a girlfriend and everything changes in a tragic way,10)sci-fi film starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder as a homicide detective who tries to catch a terrorist in an utopia,11)German horror comedy,a satire against racism,12)How The War Started On My Island, one of the first movies to take humoristic approach towards violent break-up of Yugoslavia,based on real events,13)14)15)16)Icelandic viking films know also as the Raven trilogy or the viking trilogy(Embla is the shorter,director's cut of the third film),this is the real thing,no cheesy stuff here,three of the most authentic viking films!
http://i46.tinypic.com/111un29.jpg

Several of those are on the list now. For my sins I've only watched Max Manus - Man Of War, a decent WWII thriller....tonight though I think I Stand Alone needs another airing......;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 12:10 PM

I haven't seen Samsara, but it's a film I really want to watch as Baraka, Chronos and Koyaanisqatsi are stunning.

fuzzymctiger 17th December 2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 303024)
I haven't seen Samsara, but it's a film I really want to watch as Baraka, Chronos and Koyaanisqatsi are stunning.

Shamefully, I've only seen Koyaanisqatsi. But I was just watching some bits from Baraka, and the new double pack with Samsara has gone straight to the top of the to buy list!

Demoncrat 17th December 2012 12:34 PM

What a memory. Also rewatched Phantom Of The Paradise, truly c a m p.

VicDakin 17th December 2012 07:05 PM

The Mummy (1932 film)

1 Attachment(s)
The only film about a Mummy that actually looks like something you see in a museum,Stephen Sommers your an idiot.Boris Karloff you is da man.

Attachment 94007

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 303183)
The only film about a Mummy that actually looks like something you see in a museum,Stephen Sommers your an idiot.Boris Karloff you is da man.

Attachment 94007

I thought Sommers first Mummy film was great fun, really entertaining. The second one much less so though. The third was ok. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 303183)

Attachment 94007

Indeed, although I also think some of the Hammer mummy films have some nice 'museum quality' mummy effects in them :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 303198)
Indeed, although I also think some of the Hammer mummy films have some nice 'museum quality' mummy effects in them :D

What annoys me about the Universal film is they have the best mummy by a mile, but the creature is only in it for basically seconds at the start of the film. WTF's all that about? :mmph:

Its not really annoying by the way. Its a great film.

sawyer6 17th December 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 303201)
What annoys me about the Universal film is they have the best mummy by a mile, but the creature is only in it for basically seconds at the start of the film. WTF's all that about? :mmph:

Its not really annoying by the way. Its a great film.

Probably the costume wasn't too practical :tongue1:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 303186)
I thought Sommers first Mummy film was great fun, really entertaining. The second one much less so though. The third was ok. :)

I don't care for any of the Stephen Sommers Mummy films – the overuse of CGI and dumb humour ruins them for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 303202)
Probably the suit wasn't too practical :tongue1:

I would imagine Boris wasn't impressed at being under the makeup and said "lose it" or you can hire Chaney instead.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 303203)
I don't care for any of the Stephen Sommers Mummy films – the overuse of CGI and dumb humour ruins them for me.

Don't watch Van Helsing then, that hurts my eyes.

sawyer6 17th December 2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 303205)

me:)+ Van Helsing =:cool:

Prince_Vajda 17th December 2012 07:35 PM

- Has Anybody Seen My Gal? **** out of ****
Lovely film with a brilliant cast and a message ("money isn't everything, but it has the power to change people" ) - watch out for James Dean in a tiny role! Charles Coburn is outstanding. :)
- Les yeux sans visage (Eyes Without A Face) ***** out of **** (sic!)
One of the best Horror movies (Dramas?) ever shot... Cinematography, cast, screenplay - this movie is -yes!- perfect! Maurice Jarre's outstanding score always brings me close to tears. :cry: This film is art - simply art! :love:
- The Invisible Man **** out of ****
Claude Rains - only able to use his distinct voice! - dominates this film - in a totally positive way! This film is powerful, and highly effective. Few but moody settings and great dialogues (H.G Wells' book is a brilliant read!) make this flick one of the best Universal Horror movies. Una O'Connor is so funny! :)

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

Susan Foreman 17th December 2012 08:11 PM

Watched the two 'Mesrine' films this morning:

1) Killer Instinct
2) Public Enemy #1

I enjoyed them to a point. I think I would have got more out of them if I was more aware of the man, and the politics of the time depicted

However, I found it a bit off-putting because (to me, at least), by the end of the movie, he looked like 70's era Bruce Springsteen!

Rik 17th December 2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 303202)
Probably the costume wasn't too practical :tongue1:

Well, Jack Pierce did forget to give Karloff a fly so I would imagine it being a nightmare when he needed to piss! :lol:

Nordicdusk 17th December 2012 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94028

Oh how i LOVE this film. From the neon lit wonder wheel to the dawn showdown on the Coney Island beach the film just pulls you into the world. Its such a delight to watch the Blu Ray the film looks amazing. Just watching the extra nice to see the actors after all these years talking about the film and how they got involved. :clap:

Susan Foreman 17th December 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 303289)
Attachment 94028

Oh how i LOVE this film. From the neon lit wonder wheel to the dawn showdown on the Coney Island beach the film just pulls you into the world. Its such a delight to watch the Blu Ray the film looks amazing. Just watching the extra nice to see the actors after all these years talking about the film and how they got involved. :clap:

Just out of interest, do you reconise the intro to this song?

Twisted Sister - Come Out and Play - YouTube

Be warned - it gets LOUD!

JoshuaKaitlyn 17th December 2012 10:15 PM

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Set eight years after 'The Dark Knight', the final part of the trilogy see's a reclusive Bruce Wayne take up the cape and cowl once more to save Gotham from a speechifying Bane! As the title says 'The Dark Knight Rises' and over the three movies he has. 'Batman Begins' saw the action take place in a dark and gloomy Gotham with touches of Burtons vision, (the railroad). The Sequel saw a more modern city set in the light of day. 'Rises' is set entirely in the day its more the nature of the characters that is dark. The movie is long but along the way are some nice nods to the previous two and, (to me at least), a surprising revelation which to be honest I should have realised having previously seen the Batman animated series.

Rik 17th December 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 303206)
me:)+ Van Helsing =:cool:

Me too, but I am a sucker for Kate Beckinsale in tight clothes :coolblue:

JoshuaKaitlyn 17th December 2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 303322)
Me too, but I am a sucker for Kate Beckinsale in tight clothes :coolblue:

Me too! But that movie sucked!

sawyer6 17th December 2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 303325)
Me too! But that movie sucked!

I agree, no matter it sucked and ...it sucked

Frankie Teardrop 17th December 2012 11:06 PM

DEADBEAT AT DAWN - Jim VanBebber's first feature. He directs and stars as 'Goose', a young hood who wants to quit the gangs for a better life with his occultist gf. Needless to say, it doesn't end happily. I liked the 'authentic' 70s fleapit exploitation look, pre-'Grindhouse' phenomena by decades, although can't tell whether this was intentional or the result of bad resources. It's quite good, but it doesn't have the fanboy hard hit of flicks like 'Combat Shock', a film it shares slight tonal aspects with. But, despite trawling an endless array of bleak neighbourhoods and down and out scenes, this is more of a shoestring action thriller. There are some great tableaus, like the one with Goose's tweaked out dad.

CYCLOPS - Set incongruously in ancient Rome, with a bad CGI cyclops. It's somehow fairly entertaining, but not enough to justify watching it considering how shit it is. There's a bit of gore, some stuff about a slave revolt and slimy Patrician types. But would I watch it again? Only if it were hovering above my house like a rubbish UFO.

WRONG TURN - I watched 'Wrong Turn' again after some recent posts mentioned this series. I quite liked, although it's standard in many ways. There's a 'Hills Have Eyes' type set up that hardly needs exploring. Some nice violence / mutant degenerates. For some reason I was surprised to find it was made as far back as 2003, then surprised that I thought this was 'far back' in the first place (my life is exactly this exciting)

WIND CHILL - A good film. Frustratingly, not quite as good as the one I thought was coming after the opening act. The chilly atmosphere and the paranoid tension between the two initially unlikeable leads seemed to portend something genuinely creepy. And it was, sort of, but there were too many flaws, too many easy resolutions, and it dragged in places. The ghostly stuff was done pretty well, but didn't quite gel with the build up. Still thought it was a brave move to set at least forty minutes in a car with only edgy dialogue to sustain, and the whole was well shot with, to use one of my stock phrases, 'a genuinely oppressive atmosphere'. So yeah, nice try.

Gojirosan 18th December 2012 12:14 AM

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 1993 USA d: Henry Selick

No introduction needed, I hope, for one for he most masterful animations ever to leave Hollywood. Still brilliant after all these years and nice to see it on the big screen again. An excellent job was done converting it to 3D.

If only it had been screened in the correct aspect ratio at the cinema...:mmph:

No idea if it was a fault of the cinema or the print.

The Expendables 2 - 2012 USA d: Simon West

Ludicrously violent and bloody retro action flick that may even be more fun than its predecessor. Clearly everyone involved is having a great time throughout. Not a cinamatic masterpiece, but a damned good laugh and it made me think...it made me think how much action cinema has suffered since the superhero crap came blustering along.

Pete 18th December 2012 12:29 AM

I've never seen THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. :o

fuzzymctiger 18th December 2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 303342)

:shocked::eek::censored::crazy::mmph::twitch: :lalala: :mob::faint::poke::hand::frusty::cry::argue: :scared: :headbang::jaw::llama::flypig::horse:

Buboven 18th December 2012 02:04 AM

Young Frankenstein (1974). A hilarious, witty but loving tribute to James Whales original that benefits from being shot in old style black and white. 2 many hilarious lines to quote. 9/10. Immediately in my top 3 horror comedies.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th December 2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 303205)

Been there, done that. It doesn't hurt my eyes, it hurts my brain and make film to watch a film with an intelligent screenplay, convincing acting and inspired direction.

keirarts 18th December 2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 303342)

it's pretty good but CORALINE was much better. :behindsofa: