Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179043Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2010, 12:18 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I thought Warren's Prey was absolutely awful and Bloody New Year was just as bad. I liked Satan's Slave & Terror but that's about it for me.

Walker made more films that I enjoyed. Especially Frightmare, Cool It Carol and Home Before Midnight. House Of Whipcord wasn't bad either (when it was visible).
Old 28th April 2010, 07:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought PREY was a masterclass of low budget genius!

Although I have to agree Vince,Walker was the master when it came to raw Brit shockers.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Ex-member

"The Mummy’s Ghost" (1944)

http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvmumghost.php

This third sequel to the original “The Mummy” (or the 2nd sequel to the later re-boot) once again ups the pace, ups the mummy action and darkens the mood in comparison to “The Mummy’s Hand” but it’s not quite as dark, well paced or generally as good as the previous “The Mummy’s Tomb”.

It’s certainly very nice to see that ‘Universal’ have used the ongoing story of Kharis in an interesting way with some pretty good continuity that truly turns these four films into an epic tale when combined.

As far as the screenplay goes, the film does stop dead now and again though for lethargically staged exposition scenes and
the mixture of general rampage plot and the re-incarnation idea also means the film is weighed down with more plotting and exposition in its main portion than either “Hand” or “Tomb”.

The romance sub-plot is cliché and saccharine but at least this romance angle serves a purpose where the previous drippy love clichés become the bedrock of the darker elements to come.
Without the sweetness the bitter would not register as well.

Aside from a suitably cadaverous and menacing John Carradine, and even Lon Chaney, none of the acting here is very good though.

Chaney’s Kharis is played slightly different, here the mummy seems to have more human traits in how he acts which are obviously put there to make the ‘ageless love’ aspect of the tale carry weight as we now see Kharis’ human side show through the monster he now is.
That’s not to say he’s not still a full-on throttling machine though and the numerous stalk ‘n’ strangle scenes are effective enough.

The film is also just as delightfully cold-blooded as “Tomb” in the way it treats returning characters, but “Ghost” is also ruthless (and again damn brave for the time) towards it’s new characters, resulting in a wonderfully surprising (if muddled in the details a bit) finale that goes against all you would expect from a film of this style and era.

Overall then “The Mummy’s Ghost” is better than “The Mummy’s Hand” as far as action, pacing and plot goes, but not as good as “The Mummy’s Tomb” as far as action, pacing and plot goes.
And that’s a wrap.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

My interest in these has been resurrected (along with Kharis) and I'm going to revisit Tomb, Ghost and Curse over the next few days, via the old Universal/CIC videos.

Hand can remain in the crypt for the time being.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:21 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
My interest in these has been resurrected (along with Kharis) and I'm going to revisit Tomb, Ghost and Curse over the next few days, via the old Universal/CIC videos.

The 2 double bill DVD's are very good actually if you ever fancy upgrading.
Old 29th April 2010, 05:42 PM
Cult Rookie

Watched a couple of Franco's recently
Eugenie..The Story Of Her Journey Into Perversion
Eugenie De Sade
Really liked both of these..decent picture,sleazy as hell,Soledad Miranda,Maria Rohm...Ive bought and sold alot of jess Franco stuff,just can't seem to get along with some of it,really enjoy Bloody Moon,and Ive just picked up Devil Hunter....I do like the Jess Franco interviews tho'..really entertaining..he know's he ain't the best but he's passionate..suprised he's still alive actually the amount he smokes......
Old 29th April 2010, 08:41 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Inseminoid

On a far off planet (ie Chislehurst Caves in Kent) fair maiden Judy Geeson is raped by what appears to be one of the Silurians from Dr Who (whose genitals seem to comprise a test tube filled with creme de menthe), and goes totally insane. Eating the remains of some of her dead comrades, cackling and bleating hysterically (as was I), and displaying the worst PMT in the history of pregnancies. A far cry from the stunning 60's chick who disrobed charmingly in Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush and demurely asked Sidney Poitier "Do you shake?" in To Sir With Love (my all time favourite film incidentally).

A ghastly pile of cheap, boring, thundering rubbish from beginning to end. Performances ranges from the tolerable - a bored Stephanie Beacham, Rosalind Lloyd from Who Dares Wins & The Wild Geese (who wisely saws her foot off after 25 mins), and Victoria Tennant (who ends up bashed against a bathroom sink and tracheotomised with a pair of scissors) - to the outright awful (Robin Clarke and the appallingly bad Jennifer Ashley), and the film is devoid of anything resembling watchability. Judy tries her hardest (bless her heart - I wonder if she still shakes) but comes over as terrifying as a dead slug on the M1. Cheap sets, genuinely bad dialogue, one of the most annoying synth scores in horror history, bland tiresome characters, and not even in the 'so bad it's good' category (it's too bad even for that). It makes Xtro look like 2001.

Hard to believe this is from the same man who gave us Terror and the masterful Satan's Slave only a few years earlier.
I like XTRO and I think it's a very underrated low budget Brit sci-fi horror.
One of my fave Brit horrors, since I saw it on video back in the 80's.
I have the R1 Image dvd.
Better than the overrated 2001.
Old 29th April 2010, 09:50 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
I like XTRO and I think it's a very underrated low budget Brit sci-fi horror.
I enjoyed Xtro too. Good fun. Knocks Inseminoid into fits.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:09 PM
Cultist

A Blade In The Dark

Great atmosphere and tension in the horror scenes, pretty good violence (bathroom scene is nasty). Story line is kind of average. The film's let down a little by the poor dubbing into English from Italian. Good movie overall.

Ghoul School

****ing terrible. Lower grade film making than Troma's but with no humour or character of it's own and an even lower budget in comparison. Just made me want to watch Troma's Class Of Nuke Em High instead (which is awesome). Even the editing and sound recording were pants. Just painfully bad. Only redeeming feature is it's honest to itslef. They must have known it was a disaster while making it, which adds a certain charm.
Old 30th April 2010, 03:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Im currently going through the MR VAMPIRE series(and rip offs)

Like this? Share it using the links below!