All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2018, 08:16 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Arrow's set really made me love this series, the first film is a masterpiece, never understood them when i first saw them back in the late 90's but love them now. Weird, creepy, amazing!
I have actually only ever seen the first two so I'm in new territory right now as I start part III. Arrow have done a fantastic job with these they look great.
Old 6th May 2018, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I have actually only ever seen the first two so I'm in new territory right now as I start part III. Arrow have done a fantastic job with these they look great.

3 is really fun but I think 4 is the best sequel I really loved that one!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th May 2018, 10:07 PM
Cult Master

41798-phantasm-iii-lord-of-the-dead-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

The quest to stop The Tall Man continues this time Mike and Reggie add two more to their team first a kick ass taking no shit kid who's more than able to look after himself and a strong headed woman who likes to think its her way or no way.

The third installment in the series takes a different path where the midgets take a step aside and are replaced by zombies. I really like the new kid he has no problem blowing someone's face off and he has some cool tricks up his sleeves a prime example when we meet him first in house with all the traps . An annoying kid in a film can be a deal breaker for me but this kid is not annoying in the slightest which is a relief which shows great casting and a strongly written character. Sadly one annoying kid returns original Mike. It's a pitty they didn't stick with new Mike from part II but the actor who played mike in the original is back and man is his acting bad he's just so wooden and just stumbles through his performance. On to Rocky the female lead I really didn't care for her character at all she just brought nothing to the film apart from some tough two kung full poses that just came across a bit too cringey for me . But what about Reggie ?

Good ole Reggie reliable as ever he really is a great character not afraid of anything and always on the look out for some free and easy tail he is still all about blowing shit up and taking no shit from anyone and that hair is a character of its own takes a special someone to pull that do off so well.

Not really a fan of the zombies and a few of the characters are just annoying so it really did take me out of the film a few times. But overall its still fun and that's what counts

7/10

NEXT STOP OblIVion
Old 6th May 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Shanghai Job (2017)

Medium budget actioner starring Orlando Bloom as the boss of a small (Just four of them) security firm assigned the task of transporting a valuable Chinese vase from Shanghai to the UK. Just one problem. The Chinese criminal underworld decide the vase shall be theirs.

Hammered by IMDB reviewers, i honestly didn't think the film was that bad. It's lively enough to hold the attention and Bloom isn't as wooden as made out with the rest of the cast fun or suitably villainous depending on which side of the law they are on. However i'm sure everyone here has seen dozens of similar films to The Shanghai Job over the years, it seemed refreshing to me because films of this ilk are in short supply this current decade.

I'm not suggesting anyone rush out to watch this but i quite enjoyed it and it's nice to see films like this and Renegades (2017) possibly the start of a comeback for 80's action junkies like myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91gZXyRd2TL._SY445_.jpg (45.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th May 2018, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tis certainly the campest of the quintet Duke. Treat it as the trifle it is
Enjoy ....

Damien: Omen II (1982, Don Taylor)

Bagpuss! Gets-a-mouse!! I always sing to the lovely soothing music that accompanies the opening of this film, as Latin I wasn't taught per se .
... noting that Ian Hendry & Leo McKern must have fancied a holiday . Imagine. Your balls drop .... and people start calling you Satan Jr .... Adrian Mole had it easy by comparison . Ahem. The film is spiffily violent in that sequelly way. What a pity the juvenile lead reminds me .... of .... Ralph .... Bates Which always puts me off. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 6th May 2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: the speed i type ... lawdy
Old 6th May 2018, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Damien: Omen II (1982, Don Taylor)

What a pity the juvenile lead reminds me .... of .... Ralph .... Bates
Damn! Now that would have been inspired casting. Ralph Bates as an adult Damien Thorne.

I mean, Sam Neill is just so Sam Neill.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 6th May 2018, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Shanghai Job (2017)

Medium budget actioner starring Orlando Bloom as the boss of a small (Just four of them) security firm assigned the task of transporting a valuable Chinese vase from Shanghai to the UK. Just one problem. The Chinese criminal underworld decide the vase shall be theirs.

Hammered by IMDB reviewers, i honestly didn't think the film was that bad. It's lively enough to hold the attention and Bloom isn't as wooden as made out with the rest of the cast fun or suitably villainous depending on which side of the law they are on. However i'm sure everyone here has seen dozens of similar films to The Shanghai Job over the years, it seemed refreshing to me because films of this ilk are in short supply this current decade.

I'm not suggesting anyone rush out to watch this but i quite enjoyed it and it's nice to see films like this and Renegades (2017) possibly the start of a comeback for 80's action junkies like myself.
He reminded me of Sickboy . Twas undemanding fun imo

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th May 2018, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
He reminded me of Sickboy . Twas undemanding fun imo
Yeah. He definitely had a strange hair style going on. looked like it was carved from blonde wood.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th May 2018, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Damn! Now that would have been inspired casting. Ralph Bates as an adult Damien Thorne.

I mean, Sam Neill is just so Sam Neill.
Aye, you're just waiting for him to stub a toe or shut a finger in a drawer and start foaming and shrieking .... AT THE TOP ... of his ... voice
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 6th May 2018, 11:56 PM
Cult Master

s-l300.jpg

After trying everything to stop The Tall Man Mike decides its time for a new plan of action and so he takes to some inter dimensional travel to find the origins of The Tall Man and stop him once and for all.

It was interesting to get a glimpse into where The Tall Man came from and how he became what he is now. As interesting as I found it it did start to grate on me a little the constant jumping through dimensions maybe I'm just a little worn out four films in but that's not to say I wasn't entertained by the film. A highlight for me had to be the return of Reggie as the Ice Cream man really got a kick out of that like Arnie getting all kitted out on the beach in Commando

One thing you can't fault the series on is the fact that it tries something different with each film to keep it fresh. The actor that plays Mike still gets on my tits just can't stand him

7/10

Next up RaVager

Like this? Share it using the links below!