Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2018, 08:37 PM
Cult Addict

Ring 0
This one is set 30 years before the events of the first 2 films. Here we see a young Sadako joining an acting troupe and becoming the star of a play.
Ultimately this one starts off relatively slow, however after a while it kinda does pick up. However out of the 3 films it's not the strongest. Still worth a watch.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 11th May 2018, 07:13 PM
Cult Addict

Sleeping Bride
A plane crash leaves everyone, but a pregnant woman, Dead. The woman gives birth and dies, but the baby is alive and sleeping. A young child tries to wake her up by kissing her. She does wake up and only has 5 days before she'll go to sleep again.
Is it a horror, I ain't got a clue. It's for certain a drama piece and a fascinating one at that.

Old 11th May 2018, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Strange Brew (1983 eh, Thomas/ Moranis)

So there's these two brothers-eh, and hapless isn't the word-eh, so when they land jobs at the local brewery ... hilarity ensues . Max Von Sydow. Yes, Merrin himself is in this . Literally jawdropping. There is also hockey .... in some form or other. Whatever happened to Ricky boy anyhow?? Avoid by the way ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2018, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Strange Brew (1983 eh, Thomas/ Moranis)

So there's these two brothers-eh, and hapless isn't the word-eh, so when they land jobs at the local brewery ... hilarity ensues . Max Von Sydow. Yes, Merrin himself is in this . Literally jawdropping. There is also hockey .... in some form or other. Whatever happened to Ricky boy anyhow?? Avoid by the way ....
He gave up an acting to concentrate on his family after his wife died.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll get me coat then ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2018, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default In Thrall To Lovecraft ... Cough.

In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

Still hate that opening track on the ST. If ever a film called out for his trademark sound ... it's this one imo. Ahem. Sam Neil thinks he's EG Robinson in Double Indemnity ... so he's in for a wee shockette when he accepts the case of a missing horror novelist.
We all like to fantasise about Howard (now ... there's a title ), what he got up to with Sonia etc etc ... so it comes as no surprise that JC finally exorcises his influences. Not with slavish copying, which nearly always misses the essence of unbridled terror in those stories anyhow (imo), but with a jarring juxtaposition of imagery that is also in the fibre of the work.

Plus Sam Neill goes right up the wall. What's not to like?

[B]
Old 12th May 2018, 05:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Battery (2012)

Probably the perfect film for someone who, like myself, is absolutely sick to death of modern zombie films.

Two friends, Ben and Mikey, try to survive a zombie apocalypse. What's makes this different from the ten million other zombie films out there? it's all about their friendship and survival. coping with boredom, coping with getting on each other's nerves as they try to get some help.

Mikey has recently contacted a woman called Anna, who mentions a place called "The Orchard". she forbids him to come looking for it or her, or there will be consequences.

Mikey can't stop thinking about her as she is the only contact he has had for months, besides Ben. Ben is more realistic and thinks they should stay where they are, find more supplies and safe places rather than risk their lives finding this woman.

I loved these two characters, who we spend 98% of the film with. They pass the time by playing catch and listening to music. They argue with each other, as most people would in this situation. It was made for only $6,000 and it is very impressive. If I had to make one complaint, there are a lot of scenes of Mikey just listening to music, but I think that is just to convey his loneliness, as he has lost everything that he loved. It might be far too slow for some people, but I thoughoughly enjoyed it. 7.5/10
Old 12th May 2018, 07:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

Still hate that opening track on the ST. If ever a film called out for his trademark sound ... it's this one imo. Ahem. Sam Neil thinks he's EG Robinson in Double Indemnity ... so he's in for a wee shockette when he accepts the case of a missing horror novelist.
We all like to fantasise about Howard (now ... there's a title ), what he got up to with Sonia etc etc ... so it comes as no surprise that JC finally exorcises his influences. Not with slavish copying, which nearly always misses the essence of unbridled terror in those stories anyhow (imo), but with a jarring juxtaposition of imagery that is also in the fibre of the work.

Plus Sam Neill goes right up the wall. What's not to like?
Probably Carpenter's most blatant 'homage' to Lovecraft. I really enjoy this one
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th May 2018, 04:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's certainly within the basic HPL framework ... rational man unwittingly unleashes a nightmare ... etc. A film that bears returning to.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

[B]
Old 12th May 2018, 06:46 PM
Cult Addict

The Thaw
A group of scientists are exploring the effects of global warming, and discover a preserved mammoth. Another team head to support the original team and find parasites.
This eco horror is great. Val Kilmer is not really in it but he's great. While not gruesome at first it does gradually.
One I would recommend.

Like this? Share it using the links below!