All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2018, 01:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dogs (1976)

A small California town is under threat as pet dogs pack together and go on a killing spree.

I thought Dogs was great fun, in a pre-CGI world there's only so much that can be done using real dogs. Trained dogs who maul their handlers of course but there are limitations as to what you can get an animal to do without serious injury to you or it. As it happens the dog attacks are filmed extremely well. There's a nice sense of threat but it always has that fun exploitative edge to it. There are a lot of close ups of savage dog faces attacking arms and legs - including soon to be Dallas star Linda Gray in the shower - as well as after attack shots showing nice and gory bite wounds and it all works wonderfully well.

The great David McCallum ( Sapphire & Steel, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. ) gives the film a touch of gravitas that almost adds it to the Hollywood disaster movie roster rather than the exploitation fodder it undoubtedly is, with it's ambiguous reasons or lack of for the dog attacks, however it's the sheer enthusiasm of it all that makes you forgive any shortcomings.

The film features several excellent set pieces including a dog show where all the dogs run riot and a zombie like finale as the dogs attack a group of survivors in a library. It's all done in the worst possible taste and made for an excellent ninety minutes entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogs-half-sheet.jpg (43.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th May 2018, 04:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just got back from a double bill at the cinema with my eldest son, first up was Avengers: Infinity War, which I enjoyed despite not being up to date with the 300 Marvel Universe films, followed by Deadpool 2 which I thought was funnier than the first one, both good films but I definitely enjoyed Deadpool 2 more
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th May 2018, 06:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just got back from a double bill at the cinema with my eldest son, first up was Avengers: Infinity War, which I enjoyed despite not being up to date with the 300 Marvel Universe films, followed by Deadpool 2 which I thought was funnier than the first one, both good films but I definitely enjoyed Deadpool 2 more
It's better to watch them that way round because Deadpool 2 contains at least six lines which are references to Avengers: Infinity War or other Marvel films, references to the relationship between Natasha and Hulk, Josh Brolin playing the antagonist in both films, Cable having a robotic arm, Deadpool being in a group with a strong female, and even a slightly snarky reference to an African-American character. If it was anyone but him, some of the lines would be offensive, but Deadpool makes them funny!

It's a film I really enjoyed and will probably watch it again next week. I had a letter saying the electricity is going to be cut off for five hours on Tuesday, so that might be a perfect opportunity because I currently don't have any other plans that day.

I've just finished watching the five Stray Cat Rock films for the first time since I bought them four years ago and they are films I like and appreciate, but not as much as other Japanese films made with a similar budget and at around the same time. These would include the Female Prisoner: Scorpion, Hanzo the Razor or Lone Wolf and Cub series which I now want to put back on my watchlist. Even so, the Stray Cat Rock are varied enough in their content to keep them interesting and never becoming 'samey, so' a four-year gap in between watches is probably about right; any more frequent might make them a little dull by removing any element of surprise.
Old 20th May 2018, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We watched them in that order due to the showing times, meaning we had 30 minutes between films to grab a bite to eat. I’m not bothered about going to see Infinity War again, but there’s every possibility I’ll go watch Deadpool 2 again
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th May 2018, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
We watched them in that order due to the showing times, meaning we had 30 minutes between films to grab a bite to eat. I’m not bothered about going to see Infinity War again, but there’s every possibility I’ll go watch Deadpool 2 again
I've seen Avengers: Infinity War twice and enjoyed it much more the second time, but I'm not entirely sure why. Before I went to see Deadpool 2, I watched the first film the evening before and forgot how much fun it was and what a great AV spectacle it is, hence why I bought the Ultra HD disc this week, something I'll probably watch before my second viewing of the sequel.

I wouldn't rule out a third viewing of A: I W because I have watched several videos by The New Rockstars which picked up on little things I missed, things which may follow in the fourth Avengers film and basically gave me a greater understanding of what was happening with certain characters because they are explained with reference to the comic books.

On Tuesday I'll probably have the choice of Deadpool 2 or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and, even though I haven't seen the World War II comedy-drama, I'm 99% certain I'll enjoy the Marvel movie more. It would be good to see something different, but if I want fun, it's a no-brainer decision.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 20th May 2018, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict

Horror Hotel
A student is recommended by her tutor to go to a small town where a witch was burned alive. During her brief time; she hears noises coming from below her bedroom. She discovers that there is a coven of witches, whom sacrifice her. Her brother and boyfriend head to investigate.
A relatively brooding horror film, the only complaints I have is there are some moments that felt repeated. Also we need more Christopher Lee.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2018, 01:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Addams Family 1990

A lawyer for the family tries to fleece them out of money by getting a imposter to infiltrate the family by claiming he is their long lost family member Uncle Fester.

This is a modern day take from the t.v programme that curry's on with the laughs, Raul Julia's performance as Gomez is brilliant, Angelica Huston as Morticia is comical especially telling nursery school children the story of Hansel and Gretel and getting them to feel sorry for the witch. Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester is comical. Christina Ricci and Jimmy Workman star as Wednesday and Pugsly, they don't seem to have funny moments until they do a stage play, still worth a watch. 8 out 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51DZGADFDNL._SY445_.jpg (41.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st May 2018, 03:15 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Deadpool 2 at the cinema today. Deadpool is back facing a foe from the future in this entertaining sequel that is just as much fun as the first. Deadpool getting ripped in two by Juggernaut, and then its immediate aftermath, are by far the funniest moments in the film. Fun.*
Old 21st May 2018, 10:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cash on Demand (1961).

As part of the superb Hammer Vol 2 Criminal Intent box set.
Stars the ever reliable Peter Cushing as the obnoxious and anal retentive bank manager, Harry Fordyce. Who is forced to help Colonel Gore Hepburn, played by Andre Morell, in the guise of an insurance inspector, with robbing the bank. Cushing only complys, after his wife and child have apparently been taken hostage and will be murdered by Morell's accomplices if he doesn't.

Although, this is a lesser known film from Hammer, it is an excellent example of a crime thriller. Brilliantly acted, and with one of Cushing's best ever performances.

Highly recommended 8/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_5171.jpg (30.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st May 2018, 10:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Glad you enjoyed CB! A wee gem tis
Crimson Blade likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!