Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2018, 12:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Outpost (2007, Steve Barker)

Rewatch really. Liked it more this time. Anyone seen the sequels?? Decent enough cast etc. Plus the antagonists are quite effective imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th May 2018, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Death Game (1977)

Perhaps the first "Home Invasion" film, as it was filmed in '74,
Perhaps not.

There was certainly the excellent The Desperate Hours (1955) with Bogart, March and Arthur Kennedy. Also off the top of my head - Lady in a Cage (1964), Corruption (1968), Cul-de-sac (1966),Cape Fear (1962) and Last House on the Left (1972). I'm sure there were several others as well.
Old 27th May 2018, 02:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Rewatch really. Liked it more this time. Anyone seen the sequels?? Decent enough cast etc. Plus the antagonists are quite effective imho.
Have seen Outpost 2, it's not as good as the first but certainly worth a watch though
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 27th May 2018, 02:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

I've seen Outpost II a couple of times. It's not as good as the first film by any means. Covers the same ground though.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th May 2018, 02:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Manahatten Baby after seeing the comments on it here and enjoyed it.

Definitely nowhere as near as good as Zombie, Don't Torture a Duckling or The Psychic but still enjoyable and uniquely Fulci.

6/10.

Last edited by Buboven; 27th May 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 27th May 2018, 03:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I look forward to watching Manhattan Baby on BD. A film I have watched a few times.
Ta for Outpost thoughts ....
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th May 2018, 03:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps not.

There was certainly the excellent The Desperate Hours (1955) with Bogart, March and Arthur Kennedy. Also off the top of my head - Lady in a Cage (1964), Corruption (1968), Cul-de-sac (1966),Cape Fear (1962) and Last House on the Left (1972). I'm sure there were several others as well.

I stand corrected! Well done I was waaaaayyyyy off
Old 27th May 2018, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

Set in the future during a worldwide epidemic of organ failures, a biotech company, GeneCo, decides to organise organ transplant loans. Anyone failing to pay have their organs and their lives taken from them by hired killers called "Repo men".

This is maybe the third time I have seen this horror/musical and I dislike it more and more with every viewing. It has gained a cult status, and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why.

What's the most important thing about a musical? memorable, catchy songs, right?! Well, the songs here are boring and extremely forgettable. Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy_ is the only decent thing in this film. His performance and singing voice are pretty good. I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be funny in places, but again, it falls flat on its face.

It's directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed a few entries in the infamous Saw series and you can easily tell. The violence is overly graphic at times (which doesn't necessarily bother me, but that's probably the main appeal of this film and the reason for its cult status), but the effects are pretty good.

All in all, it's far too long, far too boring and the songs are beyond annoying and for some strange, masochistic reason, this has been my third viewing of it ... oh, and Paris Hilton is in it! I know a lot of people enjoy this, so I'm glad they can see something in this that I can't. watch at your own risk. 4/10
Old 27th May 2018, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

Anthony Head and Bill Moseley sing in it though for that alone I would give it a 10/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th May 2018, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

Set in the future during a worldwide epidemic of organ failures, a biotech company, GeneCo, decides to organise organ transplant loans. Anyone failing to pay have their organs and their lives taken from them by hired killers called "Repo men".

This is maybe the third time I have seen this horror/musical and I dislike it more and more with every viewing. It has gained a cult status, and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why.

What's the most important thing about a musical? memorable, catchy songs, right?! Well, the songs here are boring and extremely forgettable. Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy_ is the only decent thing in this film. His performance and singing voice are pretty good. I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be funny in places, but again, it falls flat on its face.

It's directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed a few entries in the infamous Saw series and you can easily tell. The violence is overly graphic at times (which doesn't necessarily bother me, but that's probably the main appeal of this film and the reason for its cult status), but the effects are pretty good.

All in all, it's far too long, far too boring and the songs are beyond annoying and for some strange, masochistic reason, this has been my third viewing of it ... oh, and Paris Hilton is in it! I know a lot of people enjoy this, so I'm glad they can see something in this that I can't. watch at your own risk. 4/10
Couldn't stand this film either, only watched it as my old flatmate liked it

Like this? Share it using the links below!