Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

keirarts 20th December 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 304009)
Yeah, that is a daft move, surely that could've waited until next year, same thing with distancing themselves from the Labs, I'm not sure what's going on with that company anymore

victims of their own success!

Rik 20th December 2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 304010)
victims of their own success!

Yeah, that sounds about right! And the majority of that success has come from right here I would imagine

fuzzymctiger 20th December 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 303989)
No that would be the postmans head exploding, Rik's down to his 8th Pat!

They don't fire their employees, they send them to Rik....

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2012 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
December 19th.

Plot of Fear (1976)

Not a conventional giallo by any stretch of the imagination. I freely admit to being totally lost by its events during the first forty minutes, continually referring to the Raro dvd sleeve to try and fathom what i was watching, then saying to myself "Well that hasn't happened yet" Fortunately it did work itself out in flashbacks as told by Corinne Clery to the police inspector so i was happy enough but it was a frustrating watch.

Plot of Fear as i mentioned isn't a conventional giallo, there's none of the excesses which are prevalent in the finest examples of the genre, the sex and violence is kept to a minimum, however there is a cartoon featured in the film which borders on the perverse.

The highlight of the film to me was the decent sized role given to Eli Wallach who's always a joy to watch.

I wasn't too impressed by Raro's presentation of the film. Neither the Italian nor English dub seemed to fit the action, the characters were speaking English, but all had daft dubs and the subtitles barely matched anything at all. After about fifteen minutes i eventually went with the English dub track as it seemed less intrusive than the Italian one which often continued after the players lips had stopped moving.

A second watch may prove more fruitful but on the whole i felt Plot of Fear was a bit of a letdown.

Mojo 20th December 2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 303560)
December 14th.

Die Monster Die (1965)

How the hell i've never seen or owned this gothic classic before is beyond me.

Produced in England by AIP as a vehicle for the great Boris Karloff. Very loosely based on Lovecraft's story The Colour Out of Space. Set typically in Arkham County, the story involves an American (Nick Adams) searching for his bride to be who is holed up in Karloff's gothic mansion. Adams soon discovers something from outer space is mutating the locals and fear runs deep in the village.

This was one of the very first horror films I ever saw on the telly as a kid and it frightened the shit out of me! I have the R1 disc and I still love the film. Looking forward to your Gothic review on this one, Dem.

bdc 20th December 2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 304214)
December 19th.

Plot of Fear (1976)

Not a conventional giallo by any stretch of the imagination. I freely admit to being totally lost by its events during the first forty minutes, continually referring to the Raro dvd sleeve to try and fathom what i was watching, then saying to myself "Well that hasn't happened yet" Fortunately it did work itself out in flashbacks as told by Corinne Clery to the police inspector so i was happy enough but it was a frustrating watch.

Plot of Fear as i mentioned isn't a conventional giallo, there's none of the excesses which are prevalent in the finest examples of the genre, the sex and violence is kept to a minimum, however there is a cartoon featured in the film which borders on the perverse.

The highlight of the film to me was the decent sized role given to Eli Wallach who's always a joy to watch.

I wasn't too impressed by Raro's presentation of the film. Neither the Italian nor English dub seemed to fit the action, the characters were speaking English, but all had daft dubs and the subtitles barely matched anything at all. After about fifteen minutes i eventually went with the English dub track as it seemed less intrusive than the Italian one which often continued after the players lips had stopped moving.

A second watch may prove more fruitful but on the whole i felt Plot of Fear was a bit of a letdown.

Personally I like it... ;)
Have you ever seen Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971) Dem?

Both are Paolo Cavara gialli where the main character is a policeman.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 304256)
Personally I like it... ;)
Have you ever seen Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971) Dem?

Both are Paolo Cavara gialli where the main character is a policeman.

I didn't dislike it, and hope it didn't come across that way.

Black Belly of a Tarantula from Blue Underground was one of the first gialli i bought. To me its better all day long. For a start it has a great female cast - Bouchet, Auger and Bach, and Giannini is perfectly cast as the detective. Black Belly is more of a traditional giallo than Plot of Fear i felt and is a showcase for all that makes gialli essential viewing. :)

Nordicdusk 20th December 2012 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94201

Four friends set off on an epic journey to see their heros KISS live. Needles to say its nots a smooth ride.

Always gives me a good laugh :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 304298)
Attachment 94201

Four friends set off on an epic journey to see their heros KISS live. Needles to say its nots a smooth ride.

Always gives me a good laugh :lol:

Unsurprisingly i also like it. One of the few films i've bought twice. After my first viewing i managed to drop it taking it out of the dvd player, somehow because i tried to catch it as well i managed to flick it against the corner of a wall and it cracked.

Thats what happens with being a 5-a side goalkeeper. You automatically think you can catch everything. I must admit i do have very good reflexes and was a bit stunned i failed to catch said disc.

Hawkmonger 20th December 2012 10:41 PM

I've been up all night wrapping, and i've only got 2 hours of College tommorrow. I can watch a film a guess, people, reccomend me something!

sawyer6 20th December 2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 304303)
I've been up all night wrapping, and i've only got 2 hours of College tommorrow. I can watch a film a guess, people, reccomend me something!

Watch the world ending!

Hawkmonger 20th December 2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 304305)
Watch the world ending!

Ah shit an I was just starting on the labels. ****.

Nordicdusk 20th December 2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 304302)

I must admit i do have very good reflexes and was a bit stunned i failed to catch said disc.

But are they cat like reflexes :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 304307)
But are they cat like reflexes :lol:

A few years ago when i had a bad run of games and kept conceding soft goals i was nicknamed The Cat for a couple of months. Not for my great agility and reflexes, but because i would have been better playing with a big ball of wool. :o:doh:

Nordicdusk 20th December 2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 304309)
A few years ago when i had a bad run of games and kept conceding soft goals i was nicknamed The Cat for a couple of months. Not for my great agility and reflexes, but because i would have been better playing with a big ball of wool. :o:doh:

Im after playing every position for my team just not in goal. Cant dive for shots since i messed up my shoulder in a bike crash a few years back. Im a center back now.

Anyway sorry everyone i know we are not aloud talk sport. :fear:

Hawkmonger 20th December 2012 10:57 PM

The ed of the world in three mins people! Gimme a film to watch while I wait for it to blow over!

Nordicdusk 20th December 2012 10:58 PM

Armageddon

Sorry i had to

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th December 2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 304310)
Im after playing every position for my team just not in goal. Cant dive for shots since i messed up my shoulder in a bike crash a few years back. Im a center back now.

Anyway sorry everyone i know we are not aloud talk sport. :fear:

I don't really think this is the same thing.

Nordicdusk 20th December 2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 304313)
I don't really think this is the same thing.

Of course it is we are athletes too and i bet we take it more serious than the pros. :lol:

fuzzymctiger 20th December 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 304303)

Donnie Darko. A perfect world end movie!:pop2:

sawyer6 20th December 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 304316)
Donnie Darko. A perfect world end movie!:pop2:

I thought we've lost you :lol:

Rik 20th December 2012 11:10 PM

We have an entire forum dedicated to Prisoner:Cardboard Set H and threads about all kinds of crap, so I don't the problem with a bit of friendly sport chit chat :)

Gojirosan 20th December 2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 304312)
Armageddon

Sorry i had to

I am watching Snowmaggedon!

sawyer6 20th December 2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 304318)
We have an entire forum dedicated to Prisoner:Cardboard Set H and threads about all kinds of crap, so I don't the problem with a bit of friendly sport chit chat :)

Just a bit is ok :tongue1:

fuzzymctiger 20th December 2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 304317)
I thought we've lost you :lol:

Well, sought of. Hell has pretty good wifi

JoshuaKaitlyn 20th December 2012 11:34 PM

The Incredible Hulk (2008) Not really a sequel to Ang Lee's version and not really a reboot either more a sideways slant in order to make it fit in with the Avengers series of movies. There is no Hulk origin story here its General Ross chasing Banner whilst creating a supersoldier who develops into the Abonimation leading to the inevitable showdown between the two Gamma monsters. TV's Hulk, Lou Ferrigno, gets another cameo as he did in the 2003 movie as does the TV shows piano theme tune, even a reporter called Jack McGee gets a mention. Theres a lot of CGI work here as there is in a lot of these superhero movies and I know it is not liked by everyone but the way I see it, it's just another tool used by movie makers. Both sound and colour also had its detractors when they were first developed.

The Man With the Golden Arm (1955) Frankie Machine is released from prison and has great plans. He's kicked the drug habit and has taken up the drums, he even has a stage name, Frankie Duvall! But old habits die hard and pretty soon he mixes with the old gang. Meanwhile his wife keeps a secret the consequences of which when found out by Frankies dealer could lead Frankie back to prison and the death penalty. A 50's melodrama with a great performance from Sinatra who portrays Machine's helplessness as he slides back into drug use in a believable way.

irish 21st December 2012 01:18 AM

Time
Korean movie about a girl who gets plastic surgery in hopes of keeping her boyfriend. Although to me it;s about a girl who is mentally deranged.
my imdb rating
8/10
Special investigation unit
Another example of how good the koreans are at the gritty cop thriller
9/10

keirarts 21st December 2012 06:36 AM

THE WATCH.

Ben stiller, Vince Vaughn, Johnah hill and Richard Ayoade! (the reason I rented this from work btw) all star as a group of hapless idiots who decide to form a neighbourhood watch group and have to foil an alien invasion.

This one has turned up pretty quickly to blu-ray/dvd. Not out yet give it time it'll be in every bargain bin you care to name of pretty soon. A shame really, its a flawed movie, deeply flawed infact but I actually kind of liked it. The cast do the usual improv-lines thing in the film which occasionally irritates, theres no real sense of suspense or urgency involving the impending alien invasion, it just feels like something thats going on, a suitable set piece for the final act. Basically its neither funny enough to be a top-tier comedy nor suspenseful enough to be a decent alien invasion film.

That said it is fun, there are parts that made me laugh and a few things to still reccomend. Doug Jones as the lead alien and cameos from Billy crudup and R lee eremy (both really funny.) and Will forte (seriously underrated comedien, really enjoyed Macgruber and his turns in tim and eric) playing an idiot cop. The film passes the time briskly enough but i'd say either watch it on lovefilm, rent it from a shop or wait till its dirt cheap weverywhere because its probably worth a look still.

I dont normally do 'out of 10' marks but if I did i'd give this 6/10

Frankie Teardrop 21st December 2012 09:31 AM

THE DEVIL'S CHAIR - From the director of 'Broken'. I veered between liking it and finding it really irritating. A man at the centre of a killing in an abandoned mental hospital is released from a forensic unit by a psychologist who wants to take him back to the scene of the crime. Here, we find that whoever sits in 'The Devil's Chair' slips into another dimension where a fly-blown reaper demon chases and murders them. OK, I liked the demonic stuff, but, beyond the first ten minutes, the build up was protracted and dull. The central character's narration I found annoying, apart from the bit where he seemed to flip out and launch into a frenzied diatribe against horror fans! That was good, as was the descent into violent sadism at the end, which followed a bunch of ridiculous 'or are they...' type 'twists' and reality breakdowns. Some plus points, so worth a watch for the curious, I guess. It's confusing, but that doesn't make it 'Videodrome'.

A LONELY PLACE TO DIE - Fairly entertaining Brit horror / thriller about some mountain climbers in Scotland who find a small child in a ventilated underground chamber a la 'The Candy Snatchers'. They are then pursued by the culprits, a pair of professional kidnappers with big guns. Whilst it's quite standard, it's well made with good perfromances. The tension is well sustained during the 'chase' section of the movie, and I quite liked the climax at the village festival, which has a weirdly apocalyptic feeling about it.

CRIMES OF THE FUTURE - After seeing so many 'sort of quite good' movies recently, I had to put this on to remind myself of just how mad cinema can be. 'Crimes of the Future' is of course David Cronenberg's second feature and revisits the icy terrain of his debut 'Stereo'. Virtually all the themes, ideas and imagery explored in the films that followed are concertinaed into Cronenberg's first two pieces, especially 'Crimes...'. Adrian Tripod is the director of a dermatological institute in a world whose female population seems to have disappeared. This is connected with the work of his mentor, Antoine Rouge, a researcher who gave his name to a condition which causes sensually attractive fluids to ooze from the orifices of the infected. Tripod joins the sex underground and drifts through a landscape of medical fetishism. In the extremely disturbing finale, Antoine Rouge is reincarnated as a six year old girl. Alienating and essential, and really very creepy, much more so than the far more explicit B movies the director would make his name with later in the seventies and eighties.

Wes 21st December 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 304348)
CRIMES OF THE FUTURE - After seeing so many 'sort of quite good' movies recently, I had to put this on to remind myself of just how mad cinema can be...

Brilliant stuff as always, I must pull out my Fast Company at the w/end and watch this !

demonknight 21st December 2012 10:11 AM

Watched disc one of Zombie Flesh Eaters on bluray last night
along with that discs extras. Hugely enjoyable so far. Checking out
rest of extras on disc two tonight. Well done Arrow Films.

Rik 21st December 2012 10:49 AM

Planes, Trains & Automobiles-3 favourites I should mention with regards to this classic comedy from the 80's, my favourite John Hughes film, my favourite Steve Martin film, and my favourite John Candy film.
For those unfamiliar with the story, it's about Neal Page (Martin) who is trying to get back to Chicago from New York in time for Thanksgiving but has no end of trouble once he meets up wil Del Griffiths (Candy) and as the title suggests has to travel by plane, train, bus and car to get home.
Cue plenty of hilarious scenes, such as the car rental F-word rant, the exploding car etc. Highly recommended for fans of 80's comedy

profondo rosso 21st December 2012 10:52 AM

Watched Prometheus the other night and thought it was fantastic! BD quality was fantastic (wish I had seen it on the Big Screen now) I have read mixed reviews about this and conversations about people being confused? All I can say is stick with the X-factor then if your confused by an intellectual plot, good acting, great effects and thought provoking ideas. Immediately after watching this I thought I could of sat and watched it again. Great film with some great gore moments. Anybody else pleasantly suprised by this or dissapointed?

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...86-500-689.jpg

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims...-feature-2.jpg

demonknight 21st December 2012 11:13 AM

I also enjoyed Prometheus. And like you I thought it looked and
sounded fantastic on Bluray.Will check it out again now that I'm
off work for the next two weeks. One of the best scenes for me was
the female character trying to abort the fetus inside her. Very intense
I thought. Decent script and good acting did it for me plus some
great gore scenes.

profondo rosso 21st December 2012 11:29 AM

Without spoiling it for others, the part with the fetus is fantastically done me thinks!:fear:

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 11:59 AM

Good acting?

In Prometheus?

:confused:

I hated it, by the way. My worst film of 2012 without doubt.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 304376)
Without spoiling it for others, the part with the fetus is fantastically done me thinks!:fear:

Especially when she's staring at the foetus!

I have (I think) four films to go in the Hitchcock: Masterpiece Collection and they have all been either very good or great. I'm not sure if it's because I was expecting the worst from some of the HD encodings, but even the picture quality on The Man Who Knew Too Much and Marnie are no worse than upscaled DVD – they're certainly not horrendous. As I don't own Torn Curtain or Topaz on DVD, it's good to have them in this collection.

When I've finished watching that, I'll either go straight onto the Alfred Hitchcock Collection (North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder), the Robocop Trilogy or a marathon viewing of the A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-7 Blu-ray set. Decisions, decisions!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304384)
Good acting?

In Prometheus?

:confused:

I hated it, by the way. My worst film of 2012 without doubt.

I thought Michael Fassbender gave one of the best performances in any film released in 2012 in Prometheus.

Was part of the reason you didn't like it because you watched it with high expectations and felt let down?

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 304390)
I thought Michael Fassbender gave one of the best performances in any film released in 2012 in Prometheus.

Was part of the reason you didn't like it because you watched it with high expectations and felt let down?

Fassbender was the bad of a bad bunch, for sure. He was operating on another level to the rest of the cast. But he was still a bit "ROBOT MORE HUMAN THAN HUMANS!!! OMGZors!!". It was a performance from the Big Book Of SciFi Tropes.

I had no expectations. I kind of hoped Ridley Scott would find the form he hasn't shown since 1992, but that was about it.

I didn't like it because it was boring, overlong, the plot was badly developed and stretched very thin, the acting was mostly rubbish, the idea was utterly stupid, it was hollow and empty...it was just a very bad film. I felt like I wasted a lot of time sitting through it.

Other than a few pretty looking scenes it had no redeeming qualities at all.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304399)
Fassbender was the bad of a bad bunch, for sure. He was operating on another level to the rest of the cast.

I had no expectations. I kind of hoped Ridley Scott would find the form he hasn't shown since 1992, but that was about it.

I didn't like it because it was boring, overlong, the plot was badly developed and stretched very thin, the acting was mostly rubbish, the idea was utterly stupid, it was hollow and empty...it was just a very bad film. I felt like I wasted a lot of time sitting through it.

Other than a few pretty looking scenes it had no redeeming qualities at all.

I thought it was extremely good of cinema and it improves with every subsequent viewing but, just as that's my opinion to which I'm entitled, that's your opinion of Prometheus.

It's strange how two people can watch the same film and have completely polarising opinions, but that's what makes talking about them so much fun.