Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree178798Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Villain with Richard Burton, very good film it was too with another intense Burton Performance...
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hush and Rogue again, but from Blu Ray. I also finally saw Todd Solondz' Storytelling, which was extremely funny but not up to the overall quality of Happiness or Welcome To The Dollhouse.

I have tried three times to watch Massacre At Central High and each time have fallen asleep. I wonder if I am jinxed never to see it through?!

Last edited by Gojirosan; 2nd May 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:25 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon View Post
watched my old vhs of race with the devil and badlands 1973 what a great actor was warren oates and two lane blacktop.and the wild bunch.looking for the cockfighter.
I have the R1 dvd from Anchor Bay of RACE WITH THE DEVIL.
It's one of ny fave 70's films.
The UK dvd is crap, full screen, no extras and heavily cut.
Stupid really, considering the film was uncut at the cinemas when released.
That's the ever so dumb BBFC for you.
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Stupid really, considering the film was uncut at the cinemas when released.
The 1987 F&V video was also uncut.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:45 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Let The Right One In

Just watched Let The Right One In, a wonderful and incredibly touching little gem of a film, anyone agree / disagree?
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Agree. I recommend the book for an even more emotional experience.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:05 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I just watched Rod Hardy's Thirst which I think was very good. Unfortunately I kept drifting off to sleep every now and then and rendered it quite confusing, so I will have to watch it again before I review it.

It looks superb though, lots of splendid style to the film.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:58 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Oh yeah love Thirst!

Watched Manhattan Baby yesterday.
More than 10 years ago I watched it and didn't like it then.
However I liked it now (having watched a lot more Fulci and knowing what to expect helped).
Given it's budget was reduced from one million Dollars to 300,000 I think it's a decent film.
Would have been a masterpiece with an extra 700,000 I suspect!
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:22 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Just watched Let The Right One In, a wonderful and incredibly touching little gem of a film, anyone agree / disagree?
Totally agree, loved every minute of it. A beautiful film.

Over the weekend I saw:

Rogue - Loads of fun with beautiful scenic shots of Australia

Long Weekend (original) - Great film, creepy and unique. Look forward to seeing the remake now

How The West was Won BD - Great epic Western. Thoroughly enjoyed it and looks stunning on BD. Surprisingly violent in some parts too. Problem was I watched it with a nasty hangover so the length of the film and the CinemaScope made me feel rather sick on many occasions. I had to stop and start it several times during the afternoon

Chanbara Beauty - Zombie Film based on the video game 'OneChanbara' which I assume was only popular in Japan. It's a Manga presentation. The picture quality was terrible and the SFX were awful in places but it wasn't that bad a film. Could have been great with the right budget I guess.

Avatar BD - One word for this..... Stunning (need I say more)

Shivers - First time I've seen this Cronenberg classic and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was violent and impressively gory in places. I can see why it's become a classic.
Resident Evil: Degeneration - Now I've heard mixed reviews of this but I'm leaning over to the positive side of the fence with this. I thought it was great. It had lovely animation it was superbly directed and I've never said that about animation before but this really was well put together. Had some great action pieces, lots of blood and some of the "camera" angles and shots were fantastic.

The Good The Bad The Weird - Oh my god, this was F ing awesome. It's been a while since I've had so much fun watching a film. Genius fight and gun fight choreography and some wonderful quirky mix of humour and violence. Just brilliant.

Rock and Rule - Boring 80's cartoon that I just couldn't get into. It felt too rushed and just lacked....something. Throughout the film I couldn't help but just feel uncomfortable and I didn't know why until half way through when I found out. You know when you're trying to have a conversation in the car and the music's playing too loud and you can't hear what people are saying and you get frustrated and have to turn the damn stereo off for a minute just to hear yourself think? Well that's how I felt watching this. Throughout the whole film there was music playing too loud in the background that didn't match the scene so that when the characters were talking I found myself shouting at the TV to turn the damn music down so I could hear what they were saying. Grrrrrr!! Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

EDIT: Sorry I also watched The Lost Boys on BD. Wow, I never thought my childhood favourite could look this good. Impressed indeed. Classic!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:04 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
How The West was Won BD - Great epic Western.
Great film with one of my all time favourite western scores. Great cast too (everyone from James Stewart to Harry Dean Stanton).

Like this? Share it using the links below!