Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2018, 08:19 PM
Cult Addict

This is exactly what i mean-

"I laughed during the beginning when Ron Burgundy was doing the vocal warm ups and probably laughed because of the absurdity of what was being said ."

Sometimes it doesn't have to make sense.

That's where "spontanious" (still can't spell properly.) humour comes from, being in the moment, i guess it's like when people laugh at horror in a cinema screening with others.
It's a knee jerk reaction to something unexpected.

Another example of stuff that you can't measure and can't quite define why it works so well.

Like the soundtrack of "Texas chainsaw massacre", or David Lynch stuff.

It comes at you at an emotional level, in comedy it's responding to the unexpected, i think it's based upon subconcious responses to in built facial response recognition.

If that makes sense.

...Look's like i've also forgotten how to spell "subconcious".

Maybe i should lay off the booze now.

...or have more and give myself over to the moment.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th June 2018, 08:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
This is exactly what i mean-

"I laughed during the beginning when Ron Burgundy was doing the vocal warm ups and probably laughed because of the absurdity of what was being said ."

Sometimes it doesn't have to make sense.

That's where "spontanious" (still can't spell properly.) humour comes from, being in the moment, i guess it's like when people laugh at horror in a cinema screening with others.
It's probably something to do with rock bottom expectations, expecting something not to be annoying rather than amusing, but laughing anyway.

It could also be similar to that nervous laughter which catches some people when they wish it wouldn't, such as at school, a meeting, or even a funeral – I laughed even though I knew I shouldn't!

It's not a film I'm going to watch many times, but I'm glad I've seen it and do find those absurd moments and lines to be funny the first time, losing a lot of their impact on second viewing.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 10th June 2018, 08:43 PM
Cult Addict

I'm also a big fan of surrealist art, and i guess to an extent primitive art where stuff taps into a nerve you can't quite explain.

And also psychedelic music where something has appeared but nobody can explain why or how.

Just jammin'

It's why i think a lot of non traditional music works, the tribal factor.

Just listen to the rhythm and flow and let yourself go.

I think Monty Python and Mighty Boosh stuff taps into this on a comedic level.

The fish slapping dance for example, pure stupidity.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th June 2018, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As Justin mentioned perfect Sunday afternoon viewing and one of the best WW2 movies ever made. A film of two halfs the first half dealing with the building of the bomb and the second with the raid. Granted the use of the dogs name can be shocking but don't let that spoil your enjoyment as it was a different time( no way condoning the use of the word) also lets not forget that iconic theme 9.5/10
Old 10th June 2018, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bruiser (2000)

Henry Creedlow awakens to a nightmare world in which he has no face, features or identity. Stripped of everything he's ever known, he sets out on a bloody rampage to destroy the people who've betrayed him, including his philandering wife, his belittling boss and his evil best friend.

George A Romero's practically forgotten film. Coming some seven years after the disappointing King adaptation The Dark Half , i thought this was a bit of a gem.

English actor Jason Flemyng is brilliantly suited to the role of Creedlow, he gets away with both patheticness and brutality really well. Once he unwittingly dons his mask he becomes an almost Michael Myers like figure of death, although i wasn't really sure if he was genuinely wearing the mask or it was actually a symbol of Creedlow's facelessness to those around him. Nether the less Romero, who also wrote the film, throws a lot of black humour into proceedings which seemed to make the whole even more ambiguous.

One of the films highlights came at the conclusion with a lengthy nightclub scene in which the Graves era Misfits are on stage and perform four songs - Descending Angel and Scream from the Famous Monsters album and two newly written for the film - Bruiser and Fiend Without a Face. According to legend Romero directed their video for the song Scream and wanted no payment other than for the band to feature in his next film. It's a great sequence of terror with the band performing on stage as violence ensues.

Whilst Bruiser isn't anywhere near as celebrated as his zombie output, Romero shows he can do a lot with a witty script a decent story, and a talented cast - Tom Atkins and Peter Stormare also star - as well as some lovely creepiness.

I really enjoyed Bruiser and highly recommend it. Especially to Misfits fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bruiser-french-movie-poster.jpg (79.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th June 2018, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching a film from 1999 directed by David Fincher, but I’m not allowed to talk about it
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th June 2018, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching a film from 1999 directed by David Fincher, but I’m not allowed to talk about it
Good otherwise we'd need to wash your mouth out with a bar of soap.
Old 12th June 2018, 05:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I’ll get us back on topic

I watched Highlander last night for the first time in years, not as good as I remember it from being a kid, in fact I think it’s a bit shit tbh, especially the awful accents by Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert

The music by Queen is by far the best thing about it
I agree. It is kind of laughably shit nowadays. The music is awesome though.
Old 12th June 2018, 06:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Moon Zero Two (1969)

A Hammer science fiction film that is essentially a mining western on the moon. Swap the Klondike for moon craters and it's quite simple really. Everything you might wish for a classic western is here. From bar room brawls to dancing girls with a splash of Michael Ripper thrown in.

Moon Zero Two is camp and kitsch but a hell of a lot of fun with OTT wigs and costumes to boot, in fact the designs of the film may well have influenced Gerry Anderson when he came to make his tv series U.F.O.. There are even one or two scary moments such as the decomposed body in the space suit. Whilst the film lacks any of Hammer's big hitters there are enough recognisable faces like Warren Mitchell, Adrienne Corri, Bernard Bresslaw, Catherine Schell, and American star James Olsen, to go round.

One final thought. Don't watch this film if you don't intend to hum the film's theme song for days after. Yes, it's that catchy / annoying (Delete as applicable).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPW-90147.jpg (29.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th June 2018, 08:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching Newman commentary on Existenz, solid!
The guy from Den of Geek can't remember half as much as Newman does, the man is a genius, really need to read some of his fiction!

Like this? Share it using the links below!