Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2018, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

JeruZalem (The Paz Bros)

FF by numbers. Slightly less witless than As Above, So Below ...but that's nae saying much. Two friends change their plans totally on a whim, and pay dearly for it. Would be more charitable, but one of the menu screens is a spoiler, so there is that cough). Am dying to listen to the comm for this one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th June 2018, 10:28 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
JeruZalem (The Paz Bros)

FF by numbers. Slightly less witless than As Above, So Below ...but that's nae saying much. Two friends change their plans totally on a whim, and pay dearly for it. Would be more charitable, but one of the menu screens is a spoiler, so there is that cough). Am dying to listen to the comm for this one.
I thought it was refreshingly different to the usual running round woods screaming with the camera pointing at the floor for 90 mins.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th June 2018, 10:29 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
JeruZalem (The Paz Bros)

I thought it was refreshingly different in both locale and style to the usual running round woods screaming with the camera pointing at the floor for 90 mins.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That's as maybe, but I have trawled through an awfy lot of these films, and whilst the cityscape made a change, twasn't anything else lifting it out of the mire, but that pales into insignificance when you read this review....

The Apple (1980, Menahem Golam)

Pray to the idol of your choice before entering this orchard. Literally mindboggling. Beyond parody. The songs are all awful. Vaguely glam/disco vibe. Hysterical dialogue. Highly recommended

As you will see nowt like it this year. NOWT

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th June 2018, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hope and Glory 1987.

Schoolboy Bill Rohan sees first hand growing up in London at the announcement of WWII, and the blitz that occurred along with his two sisters and mother while his dad signs up.

This is a semi autobiography based on events that director John Boorman experienced and brings his childhood to the screen.

There is great acting from Sarah Miles as the mother who does her best to keep things together and Sammi Davis as the older rebellious daughter who tries to keep going with her teen years. Ian Bannen stars as the cheerful grumpy grandad. The film does have its dramatic and thrilling moments along with some comedy moments but definitely one to watch. 8 out of 10.
I do recommend the sequel Queen And Country
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
Old 25th June 2018, 11:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker (1982).

Superb 80's slasher film starring Susan Tyrrell in one of her most unforgettable performances.

After his parents are killed in a horrific accident, Billy goes to live with his Aunt Cheryl. Forward 14 years and Billy is at high school with a girlfriend and star of the basketball team. With hopes of a scholarship, Cheryl takes drastic measures to stop him from leaving her, even if she has to turn to murder.

I've watched this a few times, and it's always a lot of fun. And it's a really strong psychological horror film as well.
To say Susan Tyrrell is over the top in this film is an understatement.

One of the most unique films i own in my collection.

Big Bo Svenson also co-stars as a bigoted cop, who's also pretty unhinged himself.

Very highly recommended. And the Code Red blu-ray looks terrific.
8/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 183458_large.jpg (23.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th June 2018, 11:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Must admit that 'Only Fools And Horses' has never appealed to my sense of humour. I must have smiled maybe half a dozen times over it's 22 year run, but on the whole, it leaves me cold

Don't understand the love for 'Ms. Brown's Boys' either. That made me laugh even less than 'OFAH' did!!

All the people who are stating how unfunny and poor Abbott and Costello are, have fallen into a huge trap - that of looking at them through 2018 eyes instead of looking at them in a historical context. During the 1940's and 50's, their work on radio film and television made them the most popular comedy team in America, if not the world. They were the highest paid entertainers during WW2

In 1942, Warner Bros.'s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon unit produced a number of animated features depicting the duo as cats, named 'Babbit and Catstello.' One of these cartoons, 'A Tale of Two Kitties,' is famous for introducing the character of Tweety Bird to the world

Their routine 'Who's On First' was named as the routine 'best comedy sketch of the 20th Century' by Time Magazine in 1999

and has been parodied numerous times, including (but not limited to) Johnny Carlson, The Animaniacs, The Simpsons and Family Guy. It seems that even Alexa knows the routine

Bud and Lou may not be as popular as Stan and Ollie, or Chaplin, Keaton, Lewis etc, but no one can really take away their place in comedy history
They still suck though. And I was born in 1968. Some people you just don't take to.

[B]
Old 25th June 2018, 01:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I do recommend the sequel Queen And Country
Thanks Demoncrat will get that checked out.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 25th June 2018, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Inferno. Rose who lives in new york has found out that she lives in a old building were a wtich lives who is one of the 3 mothers who are witches who rule over the world. she finds this out from a book she has bought from a bookseller Mr kazanien who is crippled on crutchs. the book is called the 3 mothers as well. she posts a letter to her brother Mark telling him about it who lives in rome and studys music. she then goes to post the letter and discovers a celler and a strange smell that are described in the book. she goes into the celler and drops her keys down a hole full of water. she goes in looking for them and finds a room with references to the witches. then a skeleton appears and she gets stuck and nearly drowns. she eventually gets out and goes home but cannot escape the witch.
meanwhile in rome mark gets the letter and a friend of his sara reads it as well and goes to the library to find the book about the 3 mothers. but while shes there she nearly gets killed by an alcemist who is in the library as well.
then mark then goes to new york he has to confront the witch as well.

this is another film i like as well. and i love the use of the colours and the music too 96.9 out of 100.
Old 25th June 2018, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Horror at 37,000 Feet 1973

On a flight from London to America, a architect and his wife transport a alter from an old abby unaware its possessed by a demon. Soon the passengers start battling with good against evil.

This is on of those made for TV movies that's starred William Shatner as a drunk ex priest and Chuck Connor as the pilot.

The film does start off fairly decent and the pace goes smoothly then all hell breaks loose. The film must have been on a budget as the demon is never seen but appears as a cold ice smoke which is something different, I think the scary part is watching Shatner's over acting skills in a horror, to the point of begging him to be killed quickly or Scotty beaming him into oblivion. 5 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Horror_at_37,000_Feet_(1973).jpg (20.2 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!