LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2018, 11:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

Gotham By Gaslight
It's a great graphic novel (by Mike Mignola) and the movie length animation is sublime and faithful to the book. Basically, they took the premise that Gotham, in the 1890s, was visited by Jack the Ripper. This was the first of the "Elseworlds" stories and includes all the characters you'd expect. It's a "must watch" for nerds like me I give it 19.8/10 as it has blood, politics and they changed the villain's true identity (to surprise the nerds).

Batman and Harley Quinn
Parts of this animation had me in stitches but I've got overly sensitive chuckle muscles, it might not even reach yours. At one point it suggests that Harley and Nightwing did the humpety-humpety, there are girly-bits on show in some scenes, and there's a great bar fight, 18/10 (downgraded for the obvious sexist imagery).
I too really liked these two films. Better than the majority of the glut of superhero films hitting multiplexes i thought.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too really liked these two films. Better than the majority of the glut of superhero films hitting multiplexes i thought.
Too true, sadly. If DC could make live action films as well as they make animated ones they'd wipe the floor with Marvel!

Monster Magnet
Old 10th July 2018, 10:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The house by the cemetery. Norman and his wife lucy and the son bob, with the funny voice, move to a creepy house in Boston. eventhough Bob warns them not to after seeing visions of a spooky little girl. Lucy isnt happy at all with the house because of a tomb under the floor and being next to a cemetery. many strange things start happening and brutal murders to an estate agent and weird Anne the babysitter who i saw in Inferno.

this is also a very good film and i enjoy the weird vibes and the creepy zombie living in the cellar, and i also laugh at the strange unxplained things like when anne is mopping up a pool of blood but lucy just acts as if nothing is there and nothing is explained. high scoring for this one 96.8 out of 100.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

What have you done to solange?

excellent 70s giallo set in London. and starring the ever very good Fabio testi as a married teacher who is having a affair with one of his teenage students.
when they are carrying on together down by the river bank, his girlfried Elizabeth sees something flashing in the bushes that looks like a knife and the next day a young girl from her school is found dead.
Fabio Testi is worried then that he will be in trouble with his wife and the school due to Elizabeth being a witness.
and soon more murders follow including a girl strangled in the bath.

This is a highly entertaining giallo with loads of style and a beautiful haunting tune by Ennio morricone. and a interesting setting in a catholic girls school with a lot of suspicious characters including creepy teachers and priests.
i liked it a lot and high scoring indeed of 94.2 out of 100.
Old 11th July 2018, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watch out for a young richard O'Sullivan as one of the pupils. 7/10

a better spy movie than some of the later Bonds. 7/10

Has probably the most well knowing scene of any carry on movie. 7.5/10

6/10

7.5/10

8/10

The best of the star wars films, watching this and new hope after Solo all I can think is Han must be a scruffy nurf herder with how filthy the Falcon is, it most only be about 5 years between solo and new hope. This film also proves how the actor in Solo had zero charisma next to Ford, but in the guys defence not many do. Also the guy in Solo looks a good five years older than Ford does in this. 9.5/10

Now watching Crypt of the living dead.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The new york ripper.

one of the most brutal giallos i have ever seen, about an insane maniac who quacks like a duck in New york killing immoral women.
detective williams is assigned to the case as more and more women die by the hands of the killer
Despite the slease and gore, this is a very good film from Lucio fulci filled with suspense. and the soundtrack is very groovey and catchy as well.

what is funny, is that i remember my mum inviting the neighbours over about 15 years a go and all sitting down to watch it. but they were quite embarrassed especially with the scene with the mexican toe job in the pool hall.

90.5 out of 100.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Premonition (1975)

Despite Arrow's inlay notes and an introduction from Stephen Thrower telling us that The Premonition is a 'true classic of 70's US horror' and a film loved by 'genre aficionados', this tale of rival families and parapsychology bored me senseless.

I don't recall any horror whatsoever, it felt like Channel 5 afternoon drama except from the seventies. Although there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the film it's snail pace and lack of shocks made it redundant.

I can imagine a lot of people being extremely disappointed having paid £40+ for this as part of Arrow's American Horror Project three film box set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-premonition-movie-poster-1975-1020232752.jpg (77.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th July 2018, 04:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Premonition (1975)

Despite Arrow's inlay notes and an introduction from Stephen Thrower telling us that The Premonition is a 'true classic of 70's US horror' and a film loved by 'genre aficionados', this tale of rival families and parapsychology bored me senseless.

I don't recall any horror whatsoever, it felt like Channel 5 afternoon drama except from the seventies. Although there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the film it's snail pace and lack of shocks made it redundant.

I can imagine a lot of people being extremely disappointed having paid £40+ for this as part of Arrow's American Horror Project three film box set.
Easily the worst of the set. A curio for sure though.
Old 12th July 2018, 05:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I may be in trouble here. Recently revisited Alien Covenant and rather enjoyed myself. This afternoon I had fun rewatching a Jaws 3 blu-ray with a couple of beers. Jaws is a franchise where each subsequent film was of a lesser quality - to the point where the last film is widely acknowledged as one of the worst films ever made.

Jaws 3 is a tough film to judge as I have a lot of nostalgia for it, I keenly recall having a great time at the cinema when I was 9 years old. It was nice that my father took me (I loved the original and it's first sequel when I saw them on television). Of course that was in 3D, this bd also has a 3D option and really, that's how it should be viewed (I only have a 2D set).

The film seems much more family friendly with less attacks. 30 years ago, I saw a Sam Raimi interview where he said a thing which I've never forgotten - that a film-maker's worst crime was to make a boring movie. It has to be said that this film is never boring! Blu-ray PQ is pretty darn poor but I'm assuming that is because of the 3D cameras which were used. There's surround sound which was a nice surprise as the cover specifications state 2.0.

Interestingly this has been reclassified as a 12 rather than PG by the BBFC. btw Not sure if this was meant to be an advertisement for Sea World or a warning to stay away! After shark attack, being trapped in underwater tunnels would be my worst nightmare.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sid James runs a cab company, his wife who is fed up of being ignored sets up a rival company. 7/10

One of my favourite carry on's. A company that produces toilets is facing closer thanks largely to the union boss, we have a works trip and a budgie that can predict race winners . 8/10

An archaeologist arrives at a small island after his father is killed (actually murdered) to recover his body. He unwittingly unleashes a a female vampire.enjoyable enough with a few atmospheric scenes. 6/10

Now watching a film called good against evil which was a 70s tv movie which was the pilot for a intended tv series.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th July 2018 at 07:14 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!