All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2018, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Field in England (2013)

Ben Wheatley's experimental horror film is a starkly photographed multi-leveled piece. On one hand you have the story about Reece Shearsmith's English Civil War deserter who appears to have an epiphany thanks to ingesting magic mushrooms. On the other hand it's a straightforward story of friendship in extremely testing times. Then there's the field itself. Does it have an 'Olde English' magic? Do events play out because of the English countryside or is it something else entirely?

The films centrepiece is a startling magic mushroom induced psychedelic trip, although headf*ck is a better description. It's difficult to watch and certainly shouldn't be viewed by anyone who remotely suffers from epilepsy. It's a hard watch and as i glanced at the white walls in my darkened front room following the experience, the dark shapes thrown up by my eyes were all rather weird.

The film is very low budget but Wheatley's photography is exceptional as random English field images punctuate proceedings making the head spin even more into the far reaches of the English psyche. However for me it mainly made me itch and sneeze at the thought of crawling through meadows like Messrs Shearsmith, Smiley and co do.

A Field in England - a film that drags you in and makes you scratch your head at the goings on yet still keeps you thoroughly entertained as well as lost in it's nightmarish situation is a rare and truly brilliant beast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_field_in_england_poster.jpg (44.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th July 2018, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just done a search for A Field in England in this thread because I remember hating it when it came out and getting shit for saying so, still the only film I’ve stopped watching to go for a smoke without pausing

But, like I said all those years ago, each to their own
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th July 2018, 07:32 PM
Cult Addict

At least you never said the Blood Drinkers was slow

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 12th July 2018, 08:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching The Beast Must Die, very 70's Peter Cushing werewolf movie, the music is very funky & I love the opening bit advising to "wait for the werewolf break".
Only 10 mins in so far but seems like good Amicus, it's an old anchor bay print, worth 50p
Old 13th July 2018, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The wicker man.

Seagent howie receives a note that a child has gone missing on a remote island and goes to investigate. when he get's there he finds a strange pagan community and is shocked because he is a uptight religious fanatic. when he asks them all about the child that's missing Rowan morrison, they all deny her existance and he thinks it's a cover up.

this is a very good film, and with a great performance as well by Christopher Lee as Lord Summerilse.

there are a lot of interesting things in this film, including naked dancing, May day rituals, animal masks, and Britt Ekland banging on Howie's bedroom wall trying to seduce him.

top notch viewing and with a horrific climax. 95.0 out of 100.
Old 14th July 2018, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The gauntlet.

Clint eastwood plays a washed up cop in this one who is always getting drunk, and get's assigned with the job of taking a prostitute Gus mally who is a prisoner to a trial in pheonix.
but it is not that simple when he realises the mafia want her dead.

this i enjoy very much, and although it is not as good as Dirty harry, it is highly entertaining. and has lot's of shoot outs including a ridiculous amount of ammunition used on a brothel that collapses afterwards
some funny dialogue too between Clint and the prostitute, who was his girlfriend Sondra locke in real life at the time. 90.6 out of 100.
Old 14th July 2018, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Right. Am in doggy mode (leaves space for innuendo). Have Amazon Prime, Talking Pictures at disposal etc etc. Any recommends?? Or it's back onto the Amir Shervan marathon
keirarts and troggi like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2018, 01:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Right. Am in doggy mode (leaves space for innuendo). Have Amazon Prime, Talking Pictures at disposal etc etc. Any recommends?? Or it's back onto the Amir Shervan marathon
From 18:45 on Talking Pictures TV you've got The brilliant League of Gentlemen followed by Hammer's The Camp on Blood Island which will take you up to 11pm almost.
Old 14th July 2018, 02:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
From 18:45 on Talking Pictures TV you've got The brilliant League of Gentlemen followed by Hammer's The Camp on Blood Island which will take you up to 11pm almost.
Ooh noted. Watching A Bell From Hell on AP. It looks betterer than my crappy auld dvd. Ta!!
keirarts and troggi like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2018, 04:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Episode 50 2011

A Tv crew of Paranormal investigators and a group of skeptics investigate a asylum thats reported to be the most haunted building in the world to prove that ghosts and demons do exist.

This is a so called found footage movies that was messed up, it did start off ok two guys think they have found a haunted house which they find is not haunted then joined at the main location for Episode 50. The plot to the story was decent but the bad part was the so called acting and even the ending even the so called jump scares were laughable. 1 out of 10

If you want a decent found footage movies set in a asylum Sanatorium 2011 and Grave Encounters are way better than this movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Episode-50.jpg (26.3 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!