Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2018, 01:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This is the only Arrow Films Bava I haven't bought, It's just been re-released last week but at £15 it's going to have to wait until it's reduced in price!
i got mine on ebay. only been getting into Mario bava lately as i'd only saw Bay of blood. and although not as good as Dario argento i am liking his films. Blood and black lace is very good.
and i still have Kill baby kill too watch as well
Old 16th July 2018, 01:38 PM
Cult Master

Horror Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
i may have seen this film many years a go on bbc2. is it were Peter cushing has an alien skeleton that he keeps in a crate and grows flesh if it gets wet?
No, you are wrong. Horror Express, from 1972 with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Telly Savalas, is the one with the primitive humanoid creature which comes back to life and possesses those it kills, turning them into zombies with white eyes that bleed red blood

The film with the skeleton which grows flesh when it gets wet is actually 'The Creeping Flesh' from 1973, also starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing

I saw both films on BBC2 back in the 70's and both of them have stayed with me since
keirarts, troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th July 2018, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

you are right Susan. i have only seen these films when they were on tv many years a go, i do not have them on dvd.

i remember that in the creeping flesh the skeleton is very tall and Christopher lee steals it off Peter cushing and it gets wet and goes on the rampage.
Susan Foreman, keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
you are right Susan. i have only seen these films when they were on tv many years a go, i do not have them on dvd.

i remember that in the creeping flesh the skeleton is very tall and Christopher lee steals it off Peter cushing and it gets wet and goes on the rampage.
That's right. It's told in flashback, with Cushing in an asylum, ranting about how he can rid the world of evil and no-one believing him
keirarts, troggi and Paul Zombie like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th July 2018, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

i also remember that Peter cushing is trying to make a drug to cure evil and injects his daughter with the creatures blood but it goes wrong and the daughter goes mad dressing up in a red dress like her mother who ended up in a mad house.
I can still remember bits and pieces of it. and it needs a proper dvd release.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 16th July 2018, 05:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Creeping Flesh is long overdue for a Blu-ray release. Screenbound or Final Cut maybe.
Rik, keirarts, trebor8273 and 1 others like this.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Ritual (2017)

Excellent creeping round the woods film that sees Downton's Robert James-Collier and his three best mates lost on a Swedish hiking holiday as a menacing presence begins stalking them.

Creepy and unsettling, i was straining my eyes along with Rafe Spall as he peered into the dimly lit woods, the film builds slowly allowing it's characters to grow, meaning by the time the horror kicks in you really care for them which is how horror should be - believable and scary.

Although largely gore free, the film is a near frightening experience, especially at the denouement when we get to see what exactly is hunting them (Superb creature design) and what the ritual actually comprises.

I really enjoyed this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheRitual_Quad.jpg (96.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th July 2018, 09:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

7.5/10

My first jess Franco film which was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Has quite strange direction style with a love of close up of people's faces, one moment we have a professional shot and the next something very amateurish, but there was something about the film etc that made me enjoy it , despite it's shortcomings (or maybe because of them). Frankenstein is murdered by a bird/woman hybrid who is the creation of Frankensteins rivial, his creature is kidnapped and later his daughter also ,to help the rival create the perfect woman , as well as being insane he is also a pervert and a Satanist. 7/10

A lesser hammer but still highly enjoyable and one of my favourites, thanks to the cast which includes Lee and Cushing as well as Patrick Troughton and Barbara Shelley and the atmosphere. A wonderful restoration by powerhouse and a lovely set, with each film having a nice booklet included , unlike the pathetic thing that passes for a book in 88 releases. 8.5/10

Next up murders in the the morgue
Old 17th July 2018, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Dracula.

Jonathan harker goes too castle Dracula to work as draculas librarian but when he goes in no ones there. then a woman turns up and asks him for help but she's really a vampire and makes him one as well.
later on dr van helsing comes looking for him and finds him sleeping in a coffin.

i like hammer films a lot and this is very good. Christopher lee is most excellent as Dracula and looks the part, and Peter cushins is very good as Van helsing as well. and it is funny when Peter cushing is talking to his recorder about ways to kill vampires and the butler thinks he's mad and talking to him self.
high score of 97.5 out of 100.
Old 17th July 2018, 12:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

633 Squadron (1964)

In the tradition of other Royal Air Force WWII films The Dam Busters and Battle of Britain. 633 Squadron differs in that it's totally fictional. It's also vastly inferior to those films.

Despite starring Oscar winners Cliff Robertson and George Chakiris, it feels underwhelming as neither provides the heroicness required for what is essentially a stirring boys own adventure. Where the film does deliver is in the flying sequences featuring eight De Havilland Mosquitos and some stunning Scottish location photography around the Glencoe area, as well as the stirring theme tune, still used in RAF ceremonies to this day.

Genre actress Maria Perschy, a fave of both Paul Naschy and Jess Franco plays Robertson's love interest.

Like this? Share it using the links below!