Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2018, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

8/10

In the 1920s a mysterious object is found in the Egyptian desert ,years later the military get egyptologist Daniel Jackson to help decipher the markings on the device, which he does ,finding out that it's a "stargate" which allows travel across vast distances. A expedition is sent too find what is on the other side. 8/10

Up tonight

Hunchback of the morgue
Old 17th July 2018, 08:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching the critic's commentary on Arrow's Last House, starts off interesting and descends into academia, lots of femenism analysis & the guy trying to rush through potted biographies of everyone, a good effort but no passion behind any of it, you get the sense that they just studied the film, never enjoyed it.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hurt Locker 2008.

Baghdad 2004, a Sergeant joins Bravo Company bomb disposable unit who is at odds with the unit on his maverick ways in dealing with his work.

Jeremy Renner plays the new appointed sergeant in this tension build suspense movie, this was my first viewing of it and this was like a non stop rush of adrenaline.

There is a small bit of comedy as the soldiers muck about after a heavy day and could be seen as their way of dealing with what happens outside but more focussed on the drama type. There is some cameo apperances from Guy Pearce, David Morse and Ralph Fiennes. This is a movie worth watching
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91JqFy+sH7S._SL1500_.jpg (103.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th July 2018, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I.D. 1995

Four policemen go undercover to root out "The Generals" of the football hooligans but one of them goes beyond the line of duty of a policeman and slowly becomes someone he set out to take down.

This was a decent British film to watch, from the 90s as football hooligans can take to the street for a good pre and after match riots and fights.

Reece Dinsdale, Perry Fenwick, Richard Graham and Philip Glenister play the four coppers that go undercover but Dinsdale make his character more realistic.

The film can be disturbing due to the nature of the film dont let that put you off, Warren Clarke does steal it as the pub landlord and someone of a good riot leader.
Old 18th July 2018, 02:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sweeney 2012

Detective Jack Regan heads the police flying squad known as The Sweeney, his unorthodox methods leads him to come under the spotlight of Internal Affairs. When an old enemy appears, Regan will do anything to bring his rival down by any means with the help of his team.

This updated version of the popular TV show that starred the late John Thaw and Dennis Waterman, here Ray Winstone and Ben Drew (Plan B), take on the roles.

This is one of those movies that are based on the title but not as great as the show, it does start off great but then moves away from the plot then back again, and even watching Ray Winstone nutting people at every moment was laughable as you can see it coming. 5-6 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fid10272.jpg (18.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th July 2018, 06:22 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Occult Angel.

Micro budget British film that punches well above its weight...paranormal investigators discover an ancient conspiracy concerning sacred geometry and ancient gods in the cityscape of the city of Bath.

Pretty good stuff that outshines its budget by using the town of Bath as a major plot and visual device. It starts out as The Di Vinci Code on the skids before slipping into the now popular genre of Folk Horror. I enjoyed it even with all its short comings and feelings of familiarity as the story unfolds. Worth a look if you have Amazon Prime.
Old 18th July 2018, 06:38 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Occult Angel.

Micro budget British film that punches well above its weight...paranormal investigators discover an ancient conspiracy concerning sacred geometry and ancient gods in the cityscape of the city of Bath.

Pretty good stuff that outshines its budget by using the town of Bath as a major plot and visual device. It starts out as The Di Vinci Code on the skids before slipping into the now popular genre of Folk Horror. I enjoyed it even with all its short comings and feelings of familiarity as the story unfolds. Worth a look if you have Amazon Prime.
Being from Bath I'm more than a little intrigued about this one... I don't have Prime though.
Old 18th July 2018, 07:00 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

My first jess Franco film which was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Has quite strange direction style with a love of close up of people's faces, one moment we have a professional shot and the next something very amateurish, but there was something about the film etc that made me enjoy it , despite it's shortcomings (or maybe because of them). Frankenstein is murdered by a bird/woman hybrid who is the creation of Frankensteins rivial, his creature is kidnapped and later his daughter also ,to help the rival create the perfect woman , as well as being insane he is also a pervert and a Satanist. 7/10
Welcome to the club you'll be addicted now
keirarts, trebor8273 and troggi like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th July 2018, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Brides of dracula.

very good sequel to Dracula starring Peter cushing as Van helsing on the hunt for vampires again.
and is about a french woman going for a job at at a school and getting persued by a vampire the baron meister after his mother invites her to stay
at their castle.
the baroness meister keeps her son chained up, but i don't know how that would work seeing as he's a vampire and could change into a bat too escape.

once again i like this old film and it is very entertaining and gothic. and i award 96.5 out of 100.
Old 18th July 2018, 06:31 PM
Cult Addict

Mohawk

Lean, stalk and slasher thriller with supernatural themes snaking through the plot as a Mohawk woman and her English lover run from English soldiers in Colonial America. It is a little clunky at times and the switch to full supernatural horror at the ending is fumbled with no real explanation of how or why. That said, it is a fun, fast ride from beginning to end.

Some Kind of Hate

Slow to start slasher with a theme of self harm and revenge. However things soon pick up as the blood starts to spurt all over the place and gratuitous scenes of highly erotic thigh cutting with ghosts get added to the mix.

Like this? Share it using the links below!