Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam)

Continuing my TG phase apace with this rather exasperating film. I want to love it. But I don't. I really like it, yeees, but there is always something there to remind me that it isn't hitting that spot. Bum. Ahem.
Bruce (BC) is tasked with discovering the cause of a outbreak that decimates the human race by Arthur Dent . The Pitt channels his inner Busey. The Riddler plays a shrink. Yeah, THE Riddler ... not that other tit .
There IS a lot to like here ... but like The Fisher King ... you can see the joins. Typical Hollywood mentality. Force a genuine artist to work to a pitiful budget whilst squandering lakes of money with utter shite like Pearl Harbour.
I digress.
Wouldn't watch the tv programme. Why bother? AT ALL?? Hollywood. Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 26th July 2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: flippin eck!!
Old 26th July 2018, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ALICE, SWEET ALICE – Or ‘Communion’, whichever title floats your boat. Nice to finally see a more-than-watchable version of this – kudos for getting there, 88. And the flick itself remains a firm favourite, its slightly curdled quality undiminished by the HD refurb. I always forget, piranha-faced weirdo Alice grew up to be unstable club witch in ‘Liquid Sky’… here, she’s equally psychopathic as a disgruntled, priest-fixated ex-twin in post-‘Don’t Look Now’ raingear who always seems to be around when people gets moidered. ASA has a creepy undercurrent expressed by various sickly manifestations of church, state and family but somehow best exemplified by big fat opera-listening paedo guy downstairs, a real ‘seventies character’ if ever there was one. Other than that, it’s a fine, downbeat, Hitchcockian ride down the bleak avenues of the soul with self-consciously (I would’ve thought) giallo-esque trimmings.

YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE – Great L Ramsay take on a hit man's disintegration / possible redemption as he navigates a very ‘Taxi Driver’-esque narrative landscape in search of little girl kidnapped by awful sex freaks. A conspiracy hovers in the background, sort of. But it’s not really about narrative so much, more images, textures, atmospheres, all of which tend towards the weighty and ill-fated… this is firmly in ‘trip through the psyche’ territory, you won’t get the action flick you might’ve been landed with if Jason Statham had been in it, and a good job too… Ramsay is about eerie ellipsis rather than explosions and male angst. Although there is a lot of pain here. Interesting to see her dice with the cringe… that ‘Charlene’ moment, did it work? But otherwise, a frosty trawl along a downward spiral, heartwarming last shot aside. Oh, and J Phoenix is really good in it. Highly recommended.

UNSANE – Forget that old eighties chestnut ‘Shot On Video’, the real hep cats are doing it with their mobiles. This is Steven Soderbergh’s supposedly shot-on-iphone thriller about a psych-hold that goes horribly wrong when Claire Foy is duped into locked-ward fearapy courtesy of her stalker. I liked it – it has a strange quality to it that reminded me of post-‘Psycho’ seventies grindhouse flicks, just that really basic, churning, artificially intense kind of feel… I’m not explaining that very well, but ‘Unsane’ does manage to be pretty impactful in places despite or because of its sparse aesthetics. It runs through a B movie tick list with hyped-up economy and a kind of ruthlessness that left me feeling that it could almost have been intended as a bit of a manifesto. Good, definitely worth checking out.

MOM AND DAD – Can’t resist a bit of N Cage, now firmly embedded in his ‘pay-cheque years’. Here, he gives another slight Cage-parody type performance as an embittered dad whose idea of midlife crisis is to hole up in his cellar, listen to ‘Reagan Youth’ (good choice btw dude) and trash his billiard table. I guess it comes to us all eventually. I should point out that the film itself is about a ‘Crazies’ style outbreak that’s making parents turn vicious on their offspring, a sort of ‘Who Can Kill A Child’ in reverse. Once upon a time this might’ve been a subversive idea, but these days, in a Asda-bound shelf filler with Nick Cage in it… nah. ‘Mom and Dad’ is really quite entertaining, smart and well put together though, so what can I say other than that I enjoyed it and that it held my attention – worth a stab.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Film starts with a criminal being shot and killed for a murder he didn't commit , jump forward 30 years later after being hypnotized a young man personality begins to change ,we soon learn he is possessed by the spirit of the criminal and seeks revenge on those responsible for his death, including Louis Gossett JR as jive talking preacher. Some violence and plenty of 70s bush on display but a little on the dull side. 5/10

Now watching one of my favourites the hidden.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ahem. Frankie ..... as always
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th July 2018, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Army of the dead. 2008

In 1590 a division of soldiers went to find the city of gold but never returned. Present day a group of people unleash a curse and brings back the dead.

Excuse my language but holy ****ing shit, this was the best movie ever, great acting, brilliant CGI effects. Now that I said that I'm gonna commit myself to the nearest mental hospital. This was like a piss take of army of darkness set in present time. I was hoping it would get better, I can't believe I watched it all the way. Avoid at all cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (10.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 26th July 2018, 10:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Battle: Los Angeles. If it wasn't for Battleship, surely the most hoo-rah American cheese-fest of recent (ish) years. Fortunately for me, i love B:LA - this is probably my 4th viewing and its still pretty gripping (and very cheesy). I hesitate to call it a 'guilty pleasure' because i don't think its that bad a movie, whilst Battleship most certainly is a guilty pleasure (and another film i enjoy despite its ra-ra nonsense). Shaky-cam gets a bit annoying at times but places you in the middle of the action as marines battle to take back LA from aliens that land in the sea (as they do) and emerge from the ocean like cross octopi spoiling for a fight. Shit gets blown up, grown men make cheesy speeches about the good ole U S of A and Michelle Rodriguez does her usual schtick (which was getting a bit tired even in 2011) and gets a mouth full of alien goo. What's not to like?
Old 26th July 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)

Vampire Eddie Murphy and victim Angela Bassett have enough chemistry to make you long for a proper horror film rather than this ill judged mix of spoof horror, romance and black ghetto humour that is at times dreadful and at others just plain stupid.

Murphy practically ruins things by, as was his thing at the time, playing more than one character, ala The Nutty Professor, meaning we have to have a roll call showcase of Murphy scenes that are largely unnecessary.

This was a definite step down for director Wes Craven who was capable of so much more and proved it again the following year with Scream, the film that gave horror a new lease of life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73507_1000.jpg (86.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th July 2018, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Emanuelle and The Last Cannibals (1977).

Another rip roaring adventure for the intrepid reporter. This time in the Amazon jungle after finding the mark of a lost tribe on a girl in a mental hospital.
Together with an anthropologist, played by her real life husband Gabrielle Tinti, our heroine risks all, including her clothes, to get her scoop.

I've seen this film on numerous occasions and it still never fails to entertain me. Okay, it's no Cannibal Holocaust, but it's still a fun watch, and with a few good gore scenes thrown in as well.

One of the highlights for me is the smoking monkey on the riverbank, whilst Emanuelle and her young friend are doing a bit of nude bathing.

Credit must go to the great score as well by Nico Fidenco. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1111-5-465x559.jpg (71.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th July 2018, 11:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Rambo 3.

John rambo is in thailand stick fighting to raise money for monks in a monastery when his old pal Colonal troughtman turns up wanting him to join a mission in Afganistan to help them fight against the russians, but Rambo has had enough of fighting and wants to live a peaceful life with the monks.
but when the russians kidnap colonal troughtman he changes his mind and goes to rescue him.

plenty of action again in this one, and a great scene were Rambo cortorises a wound from shrapnel using gunpowder, and it made me laugh because Clint eastwood had done this in a western
many years ago. and also funny one liners like when the russian chap who is torturing colonal troughtman says, who is the Rambo God? and Troughtman replys God would have mercy he wont.
and as usual Rambo has guns that never seem to need reloading as well.
but very good film and i award 90.6 outof 100.
Old 27th July 2018, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The fact that people still watch and like The House Bunny a decade on suggests it's probably better than Nos' review suggests.
the bluray is only £1 in Cex. not normally a fan of second hand discs but that is a very good price and bargain.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!