Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2018, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Them (Gordon Douglas)

The day after I watched this, we had an outbreak of ants at the back of the shop
Ahem.
Superb scifi hokum, played as straight as Strindberg, as two local coppers investigate a series of strange disappearances. I have to admit that there is not much difference in this print and my upscaled WB dvd. Yes, the sound is a lot more punchy but didn't notice many improvements visually. Regardless, this rollicking tale still grips. The extras are the same as the dvd.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2018, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now I'm watching A Clockwork Orange.
This is more like it. The blemishes on McDowell's puss are crater sized . The film is still shocking imo. The violence is stylized but still relentless. It is amazing to think that this and Straw Dogs and The Devils (....) were released in the same year. Happy days ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2018, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Police are baffled when apparently normal people go around stealing and murdering , when an FBI agent inserts himself into the case we soon learn that a body swapping alien worm is responsible ( that has a thing for ferraris)and the FBI agent is also a body stealing alien who is hunting down the killer of his partner. Highly enjoyable mixture of horror, sci fi and cop movie. 9/10

Now watching what is perhaps my favourite Vincent Price- theatre of blood.
Old 27th July 2018, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Another slice of Orange ...

Let me get this sparkingly clear ... tis a revelation. I could read some of the titles on the spines of the books next to Magee when he freaks out . Gorgeousity and gorgeousness ....

[B]
Old 27th July 2018, 10:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It will be nearly a year since I pre ordered a certain film. Still no sign. But this shrivels in comparison to the revelation that KUBRICK on HD was a no brainer. Colour me chastised. Onwards!!

I digress.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 27th July 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Police are baffled when apparently normal people go around stealing and murdering , when an FBI agent inserts himself into the case we soon learn that a body swapping alien worm is responsible ( that has a thing for ferraris)and the FBI agent is also a body stealing alien who is hunting down the killer of his partner. Highly enjoyable mixture of horror, sci fi and cop movie. 9/10

Now watching what is perhaps my favourite Vincent Price- theatre of blood.
LOVE The Hidden. Look forward to seeing this. The comm from Sholder is worth it t .
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

[B]
Old 28th July 2018, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

De poel (2014)

Dutch film in which two families go on a hiking holiday and settle down for the night next to a lake. Following a creepy camp fire tale about a mysterious pool in the woods, strange occurrences begin to occur, firstly as bizarre dreams then something more malevolent altogether.

I really enjoyed this. It has great outdoors locations and a nice sense of claustrophobia as well, as people attempting to leave always end up back at the pool. "This is the Netherlands not the f*cking Amazon" cries one character in anguish at their predicament.

Tension builds nicely but slowly so patience is required, but the actors behave quite naturally even using common sense as they attempt to work out what is happening. Naturally as we head towards the finale shit hits the fan big style and creepiness gives way to full blown psychological and physical horror (Hello sacrificial woodland virgin) leading to a very vague and ambiguous final shot.
Old 28th July 2018, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A ship crashes in the Mediterranean sea. On board was a creature from Venus which increase in size when it eats sulphur, the poor beasties is hunted down by the authority's. You feel sorry for the poor little beast, as it's been kidnapped from its home marks hunted down. 7/10

A fantastic movie, when the what the world thinks is the first mission to the moon, the crew are startled to discover a British flag with a note dated in Victorian times, they track down a name on the note and he recounts how he, his girlfriend and a scientist made there way too the moon and what they discovered. 9/10

My favourite Price film, here he plays a Shakespearean actor , who is believed dead seeks revenge on the critic who embarrassed him and cost him an award. He use deaths in various Shakespeare plays to kill his victims. My favourite being the one in which he feeds Robert Morley doggie woggies to him baked in a pie. Really it's all but a Phibes movie in all but name.

Poodle pie anyone? 9.5/10

Now watching a favourite of mine, which is crying out for a UK release. Innocent Blood.
Old 28th July 2018, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Adventures in Babysitting. Teenager Elisabeth Shue agrees to babysitting duties, only to be called out for help on a mission of mercy by her best friend. Reluctantly taking her young charges with her into the city, disaster strikes when the car suffers a blowout with no spare tyre, and events then rapidly spiral out of control... This late 80s comedy is as funny and charming as ever, the kind of comedy that just doesn't seem to get made anymore these days. Looks very nice on Blu ray too, with that 80s "look" that just makes me go all nostalgic and melty inside...
Old 29th July 2018, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Commando.

Arnold schwartzenneger has retired from the army and wants a peaceful life with his daughter but that dosent happen when she gets kidnapped and will be killed unless he does a job he dosent want to do which is to assassinate a president.

Classic action film from the 1980s and a good comedy as well. the main bad guy in the film is hilarious and camp with a funny mustache like one of those chaps out of the village people. and not to mention arnolds funny one liners as well. especiially
when he makes a joke just as he's about to throw one of the villains off a cliff and says remember when i promised to kill you last? i lied.
when is sidekick in the film Rae dawn chong asks him what he did with him, he jokes i let him go. so funny.

and watching this film on bluray is so good because it is directors cut with uncut scenes in the tool shed when Arnie chops off a chaps arm with a machete.

and the finally action scenes on the island are brilliant were Arnold takes out an entire army singlehandingly with the usual guns that never run out of bullets
very good top scoring of 93.5 out of 100.

Like this? Share it using the links below!